Out with the old, In with the new, how are you advancing your sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Clifford-D, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Bye Bye you Bad Monkey,

Hello Zendrive 2

Now I have a Greenline od pumping into a Zendrive 2

That, I feel, is a move in the right direction.

What is your great upgrade to your sound??

At the beginning of '08

2. krisharmony

krisharmony Supporting Member

Multiple drive boxes for me. I had only been using a Carl Martin Hot Drive N Boost for the past few years, I added a Clark/Barber Gainster and a Fuzz Head and I am very happy. Having multiple options raises the fun level exponentially for me. That and deciding to keep my Ampeg Super Jet, I'm again remembering why I love that amp.

3. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I noticed putting my Zen 2 before the Greenline sucked

but putting the Greenline before the Zen 2 sounds wonderful.

And they sound great by themselves.

Both are true bypass, so lots of sound combos.

My ASAT was never so happy.

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Practicing

5. obscured

obscured Member

Going to stop hauling around my Marshall 4x12 with V30's and get a 2x12 with Scumback H75-HP's. Will advance both my tone and help me save my back!

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Towards the end of last year I made a few changes...so many in fact that my whole rig pretty much changed! Let's see the bigger changes I made last year to have a fresh start in 08!

Pro Co Rat -> King of Tone

Duncan Pickup Booster -> Beano Boost

Mayer Axis Fuzz -> AM modded Arbiter Fuzz Fuce

Vox 847 -> Teese Picture wah

DD-5 -> EP-3

I have a few more changes in mind at this point but so far I feel like im really on the right track!

EDIT: Since making this post I have changed my mind about what the best wah for me and I no longer use RMC wahs.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  7. krisharmony

How do those two compare? I wouldn't mind having either.

8. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Line6 DL4 -> Eventide Time Factor
    Maxon AD-9 -> Diamond Memory Lane
    Plexi-Drive -> BJFe Dyna Red Distortion
    Proco Rat -> Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
    HBE Power Screamer -> Lovepedal Eternity E6

9. Dave

Dave Member

My new Suhr Classic T. Mahogany neck and body w/maple top and S90 pickups. I am head-over-heels in love with the S90s.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

YES..practicing AND just playing. I'm finding, once you get in the general ballpark with your sound, it is MUCH more important how and what you play than any pedal, amp, guitar..

The pedal, amp, guitar get you in the arena, but what you do with that is way more important than what tone you are getting. It is somewhat in the hands too, but more and more I find that what I have to "say" with my playing, only tends to get watered down by effects because they actually can take away from the best I can play.

I'm in NO way against pedals, and not a moralistic "no pedals" kind of guy, but after playing for 35+ years, and in the last 5 or 6 buying an incredible amount of pedals (for me) I suddenly realized two things...

One, that the least amount of pedals frees my mind to concentrate on WHAT I am playing (and this is just me and some other folks like me. I can be amazed and delighted by folk that CAN use more effects than I can and do it interestingly, but I am finally realizing...I can't. I'm not them, and I need to find my own way).

Two, that there aren't reall THAT many different things you can do with a guitar signal and still keep it guitar-like. We can reverb it, delay it, OD it (but many amps do it better when overdriven), chorus (a kind of delay but now we are getting into the area of making a guitar seem like something else...and I love the sound of just a guitar) flange, etc. We can turn it on and off (trem) and we can do a number of other things, but unless you are the second coming of Hendrix (and even he could just play a guitar with little or no effects, and amaze...as well as use effects like nobody I have heard since) the things other than OD, delay, and reverb all sound very un-guitar.

I love the sound of an amplified (or acoustic for that matter) guitar to mess too much with it.

I just realized this within the last few months.

And again, others use effects in a way I admire and love hearing, but personally, my biggest advance to sound is finding out I just want to slightly alter but not obscure my sound I get with my fingers on the fretboard.

11. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Quite different...the Fuzz Face is Ge and much lower gain that the Si Axis Fuzz...it cleans up better and has a tone that can be made to border on overdrive and not fuzz...the Axis on the other hand is a full 0out fuzz hands down! It's loud, raspy and spitty in high gain settings but it really is a killer fuzz...I know this description is making the Fuzz face sound like a great pedal and the Axis sound like an noise box but thats not true...both are great (in fact I really wish I had kept my Axis but when I let it go I was trying to stack paper to buy a vintage fender Deluxe).

The Axis is great IMO of getting those later Hendrix high(er) gain fuzz tones and that pedal LOVES Strats...

12. krisharmony

Ah, I see. I didn't know the Axis was silicon.

13. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Sure is...are you hung up completely on a Ge fuzz???

14. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    +1 on practicing more.... On the gear front, I've found that I'm really digging treble boosters for a cool sound.... Currently have a beano boost and another custom made rangemaster clone...

15. krisharmony

No not at all, I just meant it explains the difference in tone. I'm a big fan of the Mongoose, too much fun. I think it's a silicon/germanium hybrid, sure sounds like it.

16. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

You should try the Axis...it is a killer pedal. I asked about the Ge deal because a lot of guys right now are hung up on Ge fuzzes just because they are Ge...Ge trannys in and of themselves do NOT make a good fuzz.

I do miss mine but while we at it tell me abotu the Mongoose!

17. krisharmony

Well I dig different flavors so both germ and silicon are good with me.

The Mongoose is really cool. I've only played it in a store so the Bassman I was playing through was clean so I don't know what the pedal would sound like through a turned up amp. I liked the tone a lot though, it's just as they describe it, kindof has a notched wah tone, accentuated midrange. I read a review once that said it can be pretty well described as the tonal equivalent of its purple enclosure, and I'd have to agree. If I had a Strat I think I would have to buy it. That thing with a Bassman and a good Strat is too cool:AOK

18. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

I can't stop praising the Flying Dragon.

19. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Bought an analogman delay for more spacious stuff, replacing my analogman dd5 with a t-rex replica.

Definitely a step up.

20. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Yea, that's the best addition.