Outboard Tube Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GasMask, Sep 27, 2005.

1. GasMask

GasMask Member

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an outboard reverb unit. Looking for a well made unit with a deep lush sound that is Dead Quiet! Would any of these fit the bill? Other ideas?

Fender

[​IMG]

Soldano

[​IMG]

Uncle Spot

[​IMG]

DST

[​IMG]

Vintone

[​IMG]

Guyatone

[​IMG]

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment. I got an awesome older Bruno Tweedy pie 4x 10 that I LOVE........but it needs some verb. I tried the Fender unit and thought it sounded like ****. Sounded like I was playing in a Tiled shower and was noisy. While I'm mulling out my options I put my digititech 2101 through it for ***** and giggles.............and it sounded fantastic! The Tubes in that Bruno really warmed up that Digital processor !

Sounds so good I might even leave it alone for now...........but other options I was looking at was the uncle spot..........but that was $600!! :NUTS and this seemed like the best option to me:

Reverbamate:

http://www.vanamps.com/

Let me know what you think............A good reverb is in my future.........

3. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

No tubes but Demeter makes a real nice outboard reverb.

4. GasMask

GasMask Member

My problem with the Reverbamate is the output configuration: One totally dry and one totally wet. Although this adds flexibility, it requires either 1) using two amps or 2) using two channels of one amp and mixing them together. I prefer one blended output. Too bad they don't seem to be making their larger reverb unit any more.

Yeah Reeek, those are some glowing reviews. I had read the HC ones before, but not the other link you provided. That was interesting- thx

5. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

I have the Uncle Spot. It is a quality build and just what I was hoping for in a traditional reverb. It is like a very good classic Fender sound with a higher level of quality control. I do not have direct experience with any of the others.

6. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

The Victoria Reverbarato is the best i've ever played, but with a correspondingly high price. They do hold their value if you buy used, however.

7. GasMask

GasMask Member

$1,595 list! I wonder how much of that high price is due to the tremelo? I've seen that one before. I wouldn't use the tremelo very much, but if the reverb is superior, it might be worth paying up for.

8. ToneChimera

ToneChimera Member

I just received the Uncle Spot and am quite happy so far. Matched with a Komet 60. Especially appreciated when playing the Komet on low volume settings. Mostly quiet, but I use a 20 amp dedicated with a PS Audio Power Outlet. The reverb add some richness/body before the Komet takes off and offers up its harmonic thickness. I do run the Reverb around 2 mostly to not overwhelm the signature of the Komet.

Some people run a Van Amps reverb but they need two inputs.

TC

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I played one of the Guyatones in Edmonton. It's a slightly different take on reverb, doesn't sound like the Fender unit at all. Not splatty and lots of tone control. In the end, though, it wasn't as smooth as my Valverb. The only outboard reverb I've seen that put the Peavey on the trailor was Bruno, but they're rarer than hen's teeth.

10. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

They go for about $1000-1100 used, and are an easy re-sell. Bout 13-1400 new? Kinda rare. I've ab'ed them with the Kendrick , Fender RI's, original Fenders, Matchless's, old Tube Traynors, and Peavey Valverbs. Not even close, IMO. Surprisingly, i liked the Peavey second best, but it got really noisy with some of my amps. Also, i'm not a tremelo guy, but this one is outstanding!
    Do wish they'd make a non trem version, though.
    There's a kit on the Weber board that's supposed to be good, but most of the kits always try to emulate the old Fender sound, and i'm not crazy about it. Too swampy.

11. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

My understanding is that he'll make you one with a single output but it will cost you an extra $75.

FYI, I posted some clips of my reverbamate through a tweed deluxe clone in another thread if you're interested.

12. GasMask

GasMask Member

Cool! That makes the reverbamate much more attractive to me. I wonder how close it comes in sound quality to the larger units (not that size matters, or....;) ). I'll look for your clips. Thanks.

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

Don't count the Peavey Valverb out.

14. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Pretty close. I had a buddy of mine play it the other night (tmac on here) and he thought it sounded great. Here's the link to the clip.

www.georgiajooks.com/barnard.htm

15. Hugo

Hugo Member

Clark is doing an outboard reverb unit that seems to be very nice. Does not advertise it on his web site. Based on its amp quality, i suspect it to be a noce choice. I ordered one two weeks ago and should receive it within a few days. It is a three knob unit, point to point wired, KT66 tube etc...I will report on how I like it once it is there.

Cheers,

Hugues

16. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

My only experience is with an original Fender. Mine is dead quiet and has the exact tone I love. I recapped it and put some NOS RCA's in it a few months ago and it is a dream. Though, I must say I use reverb very sparingly. Just a little atmosphere.