Outdoor gig coming up

x24gtrman

Silver Supporting Member
I have an opportunity to play next weekend and I'm curious what you would do with a similar situation:

Stage Location- on a large dock
PA is mainly being used for vocals (nobody is mic'd except singer). May get a monitor but FOH will be vocals and acoustic guitar w occasional electric guitar amp DI ( other fella doing the singing plays this for his main rig w stomps for tones.)

Do you bring something to fill space- Super Reverb
Bring something easy to load in/out bc weather may hit- 1x12 combo
I know the bassist will probably carry a combo out w the drummer not being mixed in to PA.
We're slated for at least 2 hours of music with the third interrupted possibly by fireworks.

My thought is the SR is ideal but impractical bc of logistics. I can fit my 1/12, nano pedalboard, and bag on a collapsable dolly and make one trip of it regardless of the weather. That's my aim at least. May throw the tilt-back stand on there, too.

The last question is which 1x12?

The Super 17
The 1st Gen Mercury
The 5E3 clone

Babow2

Live gigs killed here
Silver Supporting Member
Will the SR fit on the dolly? I’d try to make that work.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
This is exactly why I picked up a ToneMaster Twin Reverb this spring. Enough power and authority for outdoor gigs. Light and easy to load in and load out in case of unexpected summer thunderstorms. Built-in DI and power scaling are big additional pluses.

bigben55

The key word is "unmiced." A few years ago, I played an outdoor gig at a HUGE amphitheater/bandshell type venue. Whole symphony orchestras play there. Massive grassy slope that could fit 1000 lawn chairs easy. Like you, I thought SUPER REVERB! I can finally let it breathe a little! But this gig WAS miced, so NOPE. I couldn't get it much past 2.5 on the vol knob. And the sound man was right. It sounded plenty loud from even the farthest seats.

But your gig isn't miced, so there's that. But, if I were to have played it at 4.5-5, the stage volume would have buried the rest of the band, big time. I played the same venue the following year with a Peavey Bandit. I'd say take your loudest 1x12.

I've since added a Tone Master Twin as well. I fear no gig anymore. Can be as loud or as subdued as it needs to be and still sound great.

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
The key word is "unmiced." A few years ago, I played an outdoor gig at a HUGE amphitheater/bandshell type venue. Whole symphony orchestras play there. Massive grassy slope that could fit 1000 lawn chairs easy. Like you, I thought SUPER REVERB! I can finally let it breathe a little! But this gig WAS miced, so NOPE. I couldn't get it much past 2.5 on the vol knob. And the sound man was right. It sounded plenty loud from even the farthest seats.

But your gig isn't miced, so there's that. But, if I were to have played it at 4.5-5, the stage volume would have buried the rest of the band, big time. I played the same venue the following year with a Peavey Bandit. I'd say take your loudest 1x12.

I've since added a Tone Master Twin as well. I fear no gig anymore. Can be as loud or as subdued as it needs to be and still sound great.
Amphitheater’s are a different animal all together though.

MrGibson

Totally depends on stage, audience and genre...but for an unmiked outdoor gig an average open back 112 cab would be meager. 50w and 212 cab goes a long way...it would depend on things like how far away you like to be heard, if you play in front of a wall that can reflect the sound, nearby buildings and vegetation, the size of the crowd, the level of distortion acceptable etc. For a small garden party with a drummer, a 20w 112 combo (e.g Blues Jr) could work, but it will distort and probably sound small without open back reflection. Tilt back usually helps, especially for you to hear what your amp actually sounds like.

Playing under the bare sky with the wind in your hair is awesome...when it's not raining...

x24gtrman

Silver Supporting Member
Great advice folks. I'm digging the variety in responses. Truth be told there will be very little for the sound to reflect off because the location is a large cement dock with a few "overhang" areas. I also believe we're on the same level as the crowd (which royally sucks). I was definitely going to use the tilt back stand for a monitor and to hopefully disperse the sound better than nothing. I was thinking the loudest 1x12 with the ability to dial it up/down as needed depending on how the sound is coming from the crowd area. Soundcheck will be interesting!

Guitar Dave T

Great advice folks. I'm digging the variety in responses. Truth be told there will be very little for the sound to reflect off because the location is a large cement dock with a few "overhang" areas. I also believe we're on the same level as the crowd (which royally sucks). I was definitely going to use the tilt back stand for a monitor and to hopefully disperse the sound better than nothing. I was thinking the loudest 1x12 with the ability to dial it up/down as needed depending on how the sound is coming from the crowd area. Soundcheck will be interesting!

Without reflective walls and a ceiling, you might want to rethink the tilt back stand - That's going to have a very one-directional beam thing happening. At least the pier will have some reflection & dispersion. Might want to just move the amp way back and keep it on the ground.

PowerJRod

I have an opportunity to play next weekend and I'm curious what you would do with a similar situation:

Stage Location- on a large dock
PA is mainly being used for vocals (nobody is mic'd except singer). May get a monitor but FOH will be vocals and acoustic guitar w occasional electric guitar amp DI ( other fella doing the singing plays this for his main rig w stomps for tones.)

Do you bring something to fill space- Super Reverb
Bring something easy to load in/out bc weather may hit- 1x12 combo
I know the bassist will probably carry a combo out w the drummer not being mixed in to PA.
We're slated for at least 2 hours of music with the third interrupted possibly by fireworks.

My thought is the SR is ideal but impractical bc of logistics. I can fit my 1/12, nano pedalboard, and bag on a collapsable dolly and make one trip of it regardless of the weather. That's my aim at least. May throw the tilt-back stand on there, too.

The last question is which 1x12?

The Super 17
The 1st Gen Mercury
The 5E3 clone
You'll need at least a 2x12 with at least 50 watts (depending on the type of amp overall) I've been down this road. My other guitarist 12 years ago tried playing a 1x12 Flextone 75watt during a show inside an abandoned church (200 people). He dimed the volume and blew his speaker after the first 2 songs lol.

ledzep618

I’d go Super for sure unmiced outdoors. What does it matter if it all fits on a dolly in one trip? You have a dolly so making two trips seems irrelevant. In my gigging days trips to the car didn’t matter, you brought what you needed to to get it done and the band all helped each other with load in/out.

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
I’d go Super for sure unmiced outdoors. What does it matter if it all fits on a dolly in one trip? You have a dolly so making two trips seems irrelevant. In my gigging days trips to the car didn’t matter, you brought what you needed to to get it done and the band all helped each other with load in/out.
I agree. Just bring something to throw over the amp if it looks like it might rain.

Also, if you don’t use the SR for this gig you should just sell it. You’ll never find a better opportunity to get it in it’s sweet spot.

x24gtrman

Silver Supporting Member
if you don’t use the SR for this gig you should just sell it.
Funny thing is, it's an amp I've recapped and am awaiting a new tank and cables to complete restoration for a client of mine. He said I could use it if I wanted to and it's super tempting bc it is an ideal situation to play it as intended by Leo. A tarp isn't much more to wrap and bungee around it when transporting or for the weather. And I don't intend to make multiple trips to the car. One to load in/ once to load out. No walking a mile back and forth to get $#t. I thought the play test of an outdoor show is a great way to burn in the new components. Will see what the weather holds.

GerryJ

Curious what others think- but in my minimal experience- where the PAs are the <$5,000 smaller systems- mic'ing "everything" just means less punch for the all important vocals, if you've got the amps for the guitar & especially the bass.
I'd go with the super reverb.
Unless you're expected to play at truly wine bar, background music levels- then small is best.

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
Funny thing is, it's an amp I've recapped and am awaiting a new tank and cables to complete restoration for a client of mine. He said I could use it if I wanted to and it's super tempting bc it is an ideal situation to play it as intended by Leo. A tarp isn't much more to wrap and bungee around it when transporting or for the weather. And I don't intend to make multiple trips to the car. One to load in/ once to load out. No walking a mile back and forth to get $#t. I thought the play test of an outdoor show is a great way to burn in the new components. Will see what the weather holds.
Is it really a mile?

straightblues

When I first started gigging, it was always big amps outside. My big amp is a Super Reverb. But over the last 5 years, almost all of my outdoor gigs I go with my Fender Harvard because we get mic'd. Our band always plays at the same stage volume whether inside or outside. That has never been issue up until my outdoor gig last Saturday.

We played outside with no PA reinforcement. Our bass amp really got burried. I couldn't hear the bass at all. Trying to solo was nearly impossible. It was horrible.

So from now on, it will be two amps, or a big amp turned down and mic'd or up loud unmic'd. My bass player will just bring out his big amp.

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
I gigged a Super Reverb for years. The situation you have described is asking for a big amp and lots of speakers. I would not hesitate to use the SR.

Top Bottom