Outdoor Lighting..Whatda Ya Got?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Staticbuster, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

I recently bought a new house which has two decks out back, upper and lower. We're pretty far out in the sticks, and now that it's warming up it's getting pretty buggy.

I currently have a string of christmas lights wrapped around the porch rail, but this was just temporary to set a chill spot to hang with my friends that helped us move.

I'm interested in hearing about lighting ideas for decks which will help cut down on the bug-attracting factor while still providing enough light to hang out by. By hang out, I mean sip drinks, listen to music and talk. I don't need enough light to read by.

TIA, I know some of you cats have already done this. Bonus points for pics.

2. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

Bump for the daytime crowd...

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

We have been considering this for a while. When we bought our home a little over a year ago, there was a dearth of outdoor lighting.

Sometimes it is a thin line between having enough and light pollution. Back deck has string of rope lights and clear, small bulbs along the sofit which gives fairly soft lighting for sitting out at night.

Need something more substantial to be able to see the dogs in the yard, etc. Still considering options. Good luck with it.

4. Minte

Minte *except for a few minor scratches* Gold Supporting Member

I'll probably get called out for being Mr. Spendy...so I am not showing any pictures. But it's a reasonably priced 12v LED system on a photocell. I ordered it online a few years ago through Amazon and it was under $300. The system has 8 lights connected that do a great job.