Outgoing UCF coach Scott Frost makes ass of himself

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jomama2, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Lution

Lution Member

Because the two teams agreed to play one another and negotiated a deal to do such.

el capitan likes this.
  2. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

Several years ago

3. LDS22

LDS22 LFC Silver Supporting Member

Exactly. Did you read the post I quoted? It's no secret that if you play (create) a more difficult schedule you will be rewarded when you win

el capitan likes this.
  4. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Strength of schedule will always mean more (and it should) than a bowl victory over a team that has already given up on the season.

Crowder, LDS22 and QRSS like this.
  5. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

the BCS machine did this too. you play a cupcake schedule, you are a cupcake champion. it is not fair. :dunno WTF is?

el capitan and rhinocaster like this.
  6. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Someone doesn’t understand how money works.

Ches likes this.
  7. LDS22

^^^^ you don't actually believe UCF belonged in the top 4 over any of the 'selected' teams, do you?

8. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

No doubt UCF is a quality team this year. But prior to their win over Auburn today their best win was against Memphis which was ranked #20 and was the only ranked team they played. Even if you win all your other games, that's simply not a resume that will get you into the playoffs against teams that have beaten multiple top 20 teams.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    cutaway, QRSS and LDS22 like this.
  9. LDS22

sigh. they do the best they can with the way it is now. it will eventually change, and we'll put up with sour grapes then too. more games isn't the answer.

10. LDS22

holy chit. I would bet big money you're from Chicago

11. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

You’re right, college football is insane.

What is called a playoff really isn’t because not every team has a chance to play its way in.

What we have is an invitational tournament controlled by “the committee.” But football is not gymnastics or diving. No one’s opinion is required because football has a scoreboard.

Just make the conference championships the first round of a real playoff. Rotate the big games among major bowls. Conference runners-up and non-playoff teams can go to minor bowls.

If we have to drop a regular season game to get a real playoff system, so what? I’m sick of cupcake games anyway.

And if Notre Dame doesn’t want to join a conference, screw ‘em.

12. LDS22

no reason. you say the system sucks. I may agree, but really i just don't care. UCF didn't belong this year, and there's no changing it. full stop. call that a white flag if you want, especially if it helps you sleep tonight.

what I really wanted to know is how you feel about the designated hitter

13. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

We've been watching some of the FCS games this year .... smaller colleges like North Dakota State, James Madison, or VMI

The have a better playoff system in my opinion .... starts with 24 teams and 5 playoff rounds .. top 8 seeds have a bye for the first round

www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/fcs

Still not perfect, but at least this increases the chances of the best teams getting into the championship ... like the NCAA basket ball tournament with 64 teams

I can see the FBS moving to something like this someday ... but a century's worth of traditional bowl games and conference rivalries is hard to give up

:munch

el capitan, Rumble5 and Anacharsis like this.
  14. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Not sure if it was last year or the year before that the group of 5 went 0-35 against ranked power 5 teams. They really don't compare, and that's ok. I've heard some promoting a separate championship for group of 5 conferences. Seems like a great idea to me. More quality football to watch.

Bluedawg and el capitan like this.
  15. Matt McGriff

Matt McGriff Member

If he actually believes UCF deserves a seat at the table why did he quit after going undefeated and take a “better” job? UCF’s best win going into the Peach Bowl was against who? Either Maryland or Memphis? Really? Auburn was playing in a conciliation game and UCF was playing in their super bowl. Happens all of the time. If that game had meaning it would have been a much different game. But saying that, I’m glad UCF won-a friend’s son is on the team.

Rumble5 and el capitan like this.
  16. el capitan

el capitan Member

Funny thing about SoS is, I don’t think any of the teams in the Final 4, beat any team currently in the Top 12, during their regular season schedules.

It is a bit of a farce that Alabama makes it when they didn’t even reach their own conference championship, and now Georgia has to face a team that didn’t reach them in the SEC final for the National Championship.

That said, like @QRSS and I have said, Vegas thinks ‘Bama is #1. And this was before they smoked #1 Clemson yesterday, covering by 17+. Follow the money? That’s the money talking, right there.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Anacharsis and QRSS like this.
  17. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

seeing bama-4 this morning

18. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

This is circular logic. They needed to prove it before the game, not after. And prior to the game they beat nobody and play in a terrible conference. They were in no way better than any of the four teams in the playoffs currently.

Rumble5 likes this.
  19. hereandgone18

hereandgone18 Member

What would you suggest that UCF should do to increase their chances of making it into the playoffs?

20. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Join the ACC or SEC and play quality opponents in 8 or 9 games a year.

cutaway and MikeVB like this.