Outgoing UCF coach Scott Frost makes ass of himself

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jomama2, Jan 1, 2018.

1. hereandgone18

hereandgone18 Member

Cool, I’m sure they’ll just let UCF walk right into those conferences.

What about all of the other programs that aren’t in a major conference? Can they just fill out an application to join the ACC or SEC as well?

Anacharsis likes this.
  2. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

That’s the point - they don’t belong there. If UCF, or any other group of 5 school, wins enough against quality opponents, a power 5 conference will take them in.

3. mannish

mannish Member

I personally think any of the 4 would have embarrassed UCF

When Power 5's schedule an American Athletic Conference team they get accused of scheduling cupcakes

QRSS and LDS22 like this.
  4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

The issue for a lot of non power five teams is getting quality ooc opponents to agree to play them and risk a loss. So really they need to join a powerful five. That's really all they can do. We will never see an eight team playoff.

LDS22 likes this.
  5. LDS22

LDS22 LFC Silver Supporting Member

**except OU crushing Ohio State AT Ohio State. that was a pretty bold out of conference matchup

el capitan likes this.
  6. hereandgone18

hereandgone18 Member

But isn’t that the equivalent of being between a rock and a hard place? The argument in this thread seems to be that UCF can only prove themselves against better opposition than they currently play.

How does one get better opponents? Join a big conference first!

How does one join a big conference? Beat better opponents first!

You say that UCF doesn’t “belong” in a conference like the ACC or SEC. How do we know that?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Lution, Fred Farkus and Anacharsis like this.
  7. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

If UCF couldn't make the playoff this year tben they may as well get honest and just declare teams from the mid majors inelligible. It's a stupid playoff system and inherently dishonest.

Lution, cutaway, Fred Farkus and 3 others like this.
  8. JeffK

JeffK Member

I really don't care that his team didn't make it, but he's not wrong. Having a committee pick who goes to the 'playoffs'...this is a big part of why I have a hard time giving a rip about NCAA football. It feels like an extension of high school cliquey bull**** mixed with big money exploitation. Rah Rah Rah!!!

9. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

"If it was totally up to me," Saban said. "I'd say you've got to play all 12 games in the top 5 (conferences)."

Anacharsis likes this.
  10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

IME football coaches and being an &ss often go hand in hand (my father coached w Vince Lombardi early in Lombardi's career (St. Cecilia's H.S.), so I think I can tell the non-aholes from the majority).

11. hereandgone18

hereandgone18 Member

Wouldn’t that just further exacerbate the problem of restricting playoffs to the pre-ordained teams?

It seems like the only hope for a school like UCF is to somehow talk some bigger-name programs into playing them earlier in the season. For myriad reasons that have been listed in this thread already, that’s that’s not likely to happen.

If Alabama (or whomever) starts playing only power 5 schools, the NCAA might as well just formally declare that schools outside of those conferences are not eligible for playoffs. Frankly, that’s pretty much what they’ve done already.

Lution likes this.
  12. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

And Georgia beat Notre Dame at Notre Dame (currently at #14 but will be in the top 12 in the final poll after their bowl win over LSU). That's another ballsy out-of-conference matchup for both ND and UGA. In recent years UGA has also scheduled teams like Clemson and Oklahoma State during the regular season in addition to their SEC East schedule plus Auburn every year. They will have played at least 5 teams in the final top 25 this year (and beaten all of them if they win next week). If a small conference school wants to make it to the big show they're going to have to schedule some games against some big conference teams during the season... and win them.

LDS22 likes this.
  13. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

14. LDS22

LDS22 LFC Silver Supporting Member

exactly. it was just a "throw out a random falsehood to support a [failing] assertion."

Rumble5 likes this.
  15. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Then again ... having a committee and some computer algorithms (are they still doing that?) choose the top 4 teams and letting them duke it out until one is left standing is still better than just picking two favorites and calling that the National Championship

But we knew it wouldn't take long for folks to get upset about this playoff system ... it was always far from perfect and a baby step towards a playoff system that is actually worthwhile

Heck .... people still gripe about the NCAA basketball finals .. and that starts with 64 teams

If the FBS ever moves towards an FCS style playoff system people will complain about that, too .... but it would be vastly superior

:bonk

16. mannish

mannish Member

I can see that and if I was a mid major team it would be frustrating. I think the committee truly thought they had the best four teams in the playoffs. I think they did also.

17. mannish

mannish Member

That would kill college football. Notre Dame would have to join a conference and all conferences would have to have a championship game. The regular season would have to be shortened so the teams that did not get in would have a shorter season.

18. mannish

mannish Member

Auburn is used to playing consolation bowl games. That's what they do ?? Now if it was Bama or Clemson who expect to be in the playoffs then yes it would be consolation game. Heck Auburn played in the B'ham bowl a couple seasons ago and a nothing bowl last season it's what they do

19. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

I admire Frost and the way he conducted his exit with UCF to get them through to this high point in their program's history. UCF is a good program who beat Baylor a few years ago in the Fiesta Bowl and I would bet they'd make a pretty shrewd decision regarding his replacement. I believe Nebraska finally got themselves a good one and will start seeing dividends around year 3 of the Frost era.

Lution, Fred Farkus and Yer Blues like this.
  20. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

If bowl winners South Carolina (9-4) and Appalachian State (8-4) make it into the final top 25, then UGA will have played seven top-25 teams.

When it's all said and done UGA will have played 9 bowl teams- Appalachian St, Notre Dame, Miss St., Missouri, South Carolina, Auburn, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Alabama.

In contrast, UCF will have played just one top 25 team- Auburn, which at 10-4 will probably finish outside the top 10. (Memphis will likely drop out after their bowl loss.) UCF played 7 teams that went to bowls- Florida International, Temple, SMU, Memphis, Navy, South Florida, and Auburn (certainly a different tier than UGA's opponents).

As I noted in another thread, there's no doubt that UCF had a strong team this year, but they just didn't play many good teams, and if teams from small conferences want to make that leap they need to play and beat more quality teams. Boisie St did that a few years ago- they began to schedule stronger opponents and actually beat some of them before sliding back off the national stage.

LDS22 likes this.