Outgoing UCF coach Scott Frost makes ass of himself

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jomama2, Jan 1, 2018.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

Frost has already been replaced. His successor was at the game.

I think Frost is a bright coach who might or might not do well at Nebraska. Nebraska is just not a geographic goldmine of elite high school players, and recruiting is tough these days.

Lution likes this.
  2. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

If the NCAA did the scheduling instead of the schools and decreased the scholarships to 66 it would spread out the talent and make things interesting.

QRSS, Anacharsis and hereandgone18 like this.
  3. mannish

mannish Member

I agree, really admire him for finishing and Nebraska respecting that decision. I like him he did a great job

4. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

He was celebrating a 13-0 season. I'm sure the entire team would've liked to have been in the playoffs.

Frost seems like a good guy. he took the Nebraska job and stuck around for UCF's bowl game. Nebraska was his dream job and Frost was one of the hottest up and coming head coaches. Florida wanted him, too. With the success UCF has had it was unlikely he would be there long term.

Lution and Fred Farkus like this.
  5. mannish

mannish Member

The problem I have with only conference champs going is a team could lose all it's OOC games and get in the playoffs with 3 or 4 losses. While the team they beat in the conference game could be a one loss team. I would not like that and I don't think you'd be getting the best teams. I think this season the 4 best teams were chosen. I saw a lot of media people agreeing until Bama & Ga won then they were not sure. That was great 4 team playoff

QRSS, MikeVB and Rumble5 like this.
  6. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

Muh bad.

I know nothing about Nebraska's recent recruiting exploits, but somehow they managed to pull in a ton of four and five star kids from well outside the area during their years of dominance, and were also able to redshirt almost all of them.

I would also like to see a little bit more "field leveling", but how far do you go before teams are dumbed down towards mediocrity. It would be interesting to see who could really do more with less, though.

If you think it's bad now, do you remember what it was like before scholarship limits in any form? Top teams would recruit really, really good players that would barely even see the field just to keep them off of other teams in the conference. Texas, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State and OU were prime examples of this.

7. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

Agreed. College football essentially has a 13 week playoff as a season.

LDS22 likes this.
  8. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

You realize that UCF usually plays multiple Power 5 teams during the regular season and has lost almost all of them over the last ten years. That kind of program background does not help give them the benefit of the doubt.

LDS22 likes this.
  9. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

Too be perfectly I honest, I've advocated getting rid of all non-academic scholarships to colleges for 20 years. I'd be perfectly fine with a lower level of competition assuming a level playing field among contestants.

Dirty_Tones likes this.
  10. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

There's no such thing as a chicken and egg dilemma. Eggs were around millions of years before chickens. Just sayin'. ;)

Anacharsis and MikeVB like this.
  11. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

You'd be wrong. Basketball, baseball, softball, track all have rankings that matter in the post seasons.

12. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

While I don't agree 100% (for selfish, rah-rah alma mater reasons), in my opinion there is definitely validity to what you're saying.

JK47 likes this.
  13. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Committee's determine who makes the playoffs or tournaments in other collegiate sports as well. The committee isn't the problem, rather it is the fact that there are only 4 teams allowed. If you took the top 24 and proceeded to have a real championship tournament like FCS, then UCF would have been in the mix.

Rumble5 and Bluedawg like this.
  14. JK47

JK47 Member

I remember watching him play CFB

I'm getting old.

Dirty_Tones likes this.
  15. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

Likewise. He was very, very good!

JK47 likes this.
  16. mannish

mannish Member

that'd be terrible, a lot of this kids have zero chance at an college education without athletic scholarships women, men and all sports. I think academic scholarship recipients should be drug tested and held to the standards like athletic scholarships. No caffiene for the debate team, it is performance enhancing

17. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

I also think ALL public education should be free from PreK through grad school, med school, whatever school.

Rumble5 likes this.
  18. Matt McGriff

Matt McGriff Member

My dad, brother, 2 cousins and nephew played for Florida. My cousin has been the radio color analyst for Florida football for over 20 years. My other nephew played for South Carolina. I know and communicate regularly about football with guys who have played and coached both in D1 college and the NFL.

I promise you those Auburn players - especially the pro propects, were not nearly as motivated to play in that game as the UCF players were. Why do you think top pro prospects like Leonard Fournette choose to sit out of these bowls, because they mean so much? The players are more excited about all of the swag they get (clothes and electronics) than the bowl game itself.

MikeVB and QRSS like this.
  19. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

BINGO. Auburn prospects' biggest motivation was not getting injured and hopefully increasing their draft status.

20. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

I’m sorry, but why should every team have a chance? It’s not fair?
    Fair is where you pin a ribbon on a pig, as my Dad used to say.
    College football is great, and in great shape. UCF had a great year, but instead of celebrating it many are whining about what ifs.
    Sure, having a committee isn’t perfect, but what’s a better option? And they did get the four best teams this year. I guarantee you that if the experts thought UCF deserved to be there they would have been. There is no conspiracy
    I go to several college games every year. Often it’s LSU, Texas, Louisiana Tech, and Montana. I thoroughly enjoy each experience, but it’s readily apparent that there are distinct levels in college football. The speed and size differences between the Alabamas and Ohio States has to be seen, up close and personal, to really be appreciated.
    For UCF to go undefeated is a great achievement, but it really doesn’t compare to a one loss Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, or Clemson. Saying it does just cheapens their accomplishment.

Rumble5, QRSS and LDS22 like this.