Outgoing UCF coach Scott Frost makes ass of himself

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jomama2, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

Jim UCF had one win against a top 25 team in Memphis. Who was 25 at the time. So explain how UCF deserved to be ahead if any team in the CFP. And without using the auburn game as an example. You can't. Think about that before using terms like dishonest and stupid.

LDS22 likes this.
  2. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

Agreed. There's a huge difference physically in playing 10 regular season games against Power 5 teams like the teams in the playoff do. And it ain't because Power 5 teams are afraid to schedule UCF.

Rumble5 likes this.
  3. mge80

mge80 Member

With how many teams and who gets in? Even the 64-team NCAA basketball bracket, when announced, has people whining about who did and who didn't get in. There is no solution that is going to make everyone happy. No solution that someone is not going to cry "fraud".

Let's hear YOUR solution. A legitimate, realistic, workable plan that will produce no controversy.

Bluedawg and rowdyyates like this.
  4. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

I always thought these great teams from lower conferences would do well to get into a power 5 conference like TCU did. The openings in those conferences don't come around that often, though.

5. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

The Big XII started having a conference championship game again this year, even though they still don't have enough teams for divisions.

6. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Championship is a fraud? What champion in the last 10 years was undeserving?
    Just how are CFP defenders wrong? It’s not perfect, but it’s really good. You just can’t add mote games to the college football season.
    How would you fix it?

QRSS likes this.
  7. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

Why are you so emotionally involved in this? In the big picture, does it matter who wins the college national championship in football or any other sport?

Fred Farkus and LDS22 like this.
  8. mge80

mge80 Member

You perhaps have the "legitimate" covered, but I highly doubt this is either realistic or workable. Getting the entire FBS to agree on conference realignment, teams "gong down a Division" and scheduling "only other top division teams" is a pipe dream outside the "realistic" qualifier.

But I do appreciate you responding with at least a plan. Most others would have not responded or done so with mostly deflection.

Thanks.

9. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

My uninformed and naïve opinion is that they needed to "burn" the bowl tradition first to move towards a real playoff system.

As you say ... we may be at that point now with the current playoff system.

Next step is to figure out what to do with the conference system ... whether to build on what they have or start from scratch ... and what those changes would entail.

It appears to me that they planned this from the start ... I have always thought the current playoff system was intended to be temporary .... and they have already been chewing over the options to make it a real playoff system in the not too distant future ... now that they've sold us on having college playoffs. .... Just a hunch on my part.

Would be interesting to see if NCAA should also go from the current 2 divisions to a 3 tiered championship system ... and maybe even introduce some type of relegation that allows teams to move between tiers based on performance ... although relegation would have it's own issues

:dunno

10. mge80

mge80 Member

I don't think it would be accurate to say that I consider it faulty. In fact, it does seem to be a sound and legitimate plan. I'm just not convinced (at this point) that it is truly doable. But, as you say, perhaps with enough of the right kinds of incentives, who knows?

Time will tell how it all shakes out. And, if you are in a position of being able to effect change, I wish you well in that endeavor.

Anacharsis likes this.
  11. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

They may have but if an undefeated team has no way to get into the playoff then they shouldn't have to go through the charade all year. The playoff system has taken over the entire bowl system and then turned most of the teams into nothing more than stage props for the benefit of about 8 schools.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  12. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

:dude

Anacharsis likes this.
  13. klatuu

klatuu Member

Well let’s see. The AAC was 3-1 in their bowl games against power 5 opponents this year. Until firing their coach without any apparent reason two years ago, ECU had 7 straight wins against ACC schools, including 2 against VT. That’s the only hard stats I know for sure, but the other schools have done OK against power 5 schools. The conference is much better than they get credit for. If they won’t let you in their club, and greatly limit your resources by hogging all the CFP money for themselves and you still beat them with a 10th of thier payouts from media, what more can you do?

14. klatuu

klatuu Member

Getting invited to a power 5 conference is not about how much you win. It’s about how many TV sets you can deliver in your geographic region. Example: Maryland and Rutgers invites to B1G.

15. klatuu

klatuu Member

Bingo

16. Bob Longo

Bob Longo Gold Supporting Member

Not the way Clemson and its QB played. They looked like crap.

17. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

I had that exact thought during the game. Auburn got their feelings hurt losing the SEC Championship game and felt slighted with their bowl assignment.

Fred Farkus likes this.
  18. Lution

Lution Member

Frost did play at Stanford for a while because, well, because Tommy Frazier, but he came back to NU and finished out his career at home.

Anacharsis likes this.
  19. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

Observations:
    1. Frost most certainly didn't make an ass of himself. He just led UCF to a Peach Bowl win over Auburn and finished 13-0. He looks pretty good right now.
    2. He's sticking up for the players and the school, as he should.
    3. It's football. It's sport. Anything can happen, so four teams is not enough. Eight teams (or even six) and these questions would be answered.

Fred Farkus likes this.
  20. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

Frazier was fun to watch.

Lution likes this.