Outgoing UCF coach Scott Frost makes ass of himself

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jomama2, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Agree with just about all your observations... except that UCF was ranked #12 going into their bowl game so they wouldn't have made the 6 or even 8 team cut in an expanded playoff, only if it was a 16-team playoff. (I'd like to see an 8-team or even 16-team playoff.)

Flying Panda likes this.
  2. Lution

Lution Member

What do you all feel will be UCF’s final ranking?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  3. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

1 - 2 will be Alabama and Georgia, with the order depending on whoever wins the game obviously
    3 Oklahoma
    4 Clemson
    5 Ohio State
    6 Wisconsin
    7 Penn St
    8 UCF
    9 Notre Dame
    10 TCU

UCF was ranked behind Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Penn State previously, and all those teams beat highly ranked teams in their bowl games, so I don't see that changing. In the final rankings losing bowl teams can drop back substantially, but winners tend to slide up in the previous pecking order.

LDS22 likes this.
  4. MikeVB

MikeVB Member

I think they might drop Clemson at least behind Ohio State and maybe Wisconsin.

5. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Pretty amazing Frost was a good enough college QB to win a national championship, including a senior season in which he became only the tenth player in college football history to both run (1,095) and pass (1,237) for 1,000 yards (copied/pasted from wiki), and then played 5 years as a defensive back in the NFL. Not many athletes could make that type of transition.

Dirty_Tones and Lution like this.
  6. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

#9 Penn State moves up 2 spots by beating #11 Washington by 7.
    #12 UCF moves up 4 spots #7 Auburn by 7.
    #14 Notre Dame moves up 5 by beating #17 LSU by 4 points.
    #15 TCU slides up 5 spots by beating #13 Stanford by 2.

It makes sense to me... although I could see UCF finishing at #7 and PSU at #8.

I do think it's possible Ohio State will finish #4 and Clemson #5 though.

ethandt, Rumble5 and Lution like this.
  7. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

That list was created by keeping the winners in the same pecking order they were in before the bowls and simply pulling out the losing bowl teams and dropping them out of the top 10. I agree that Clemson could drop back a bit more, but if I recall correctly, they like to keep the 4 playoff teams in the top 4 in the final rankings barring huge blowouts. Should a 2-loss Clemson who had been #1 and lost handily to one of the top 2 teams be dropped back behind a 2-loss Ohio St or a 1-loss Wisconsin? Maybe. I wouldn't argue against it. Nor would I argue against UCF leapfrogging a 2-loss Penn St., though I wouldn't foresee them jumping Wisconsin.

8. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

Because this is like selling someone a lottery ticket and then declaring them to be ineligible to win after you've taken their money. If they can never be elligible to participate in the playoff then they shouldn't be forced to participate in tbe structure.

9. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf

UCF absolutely DID get screwed by the committee, just as Auburn did in 2004 when USC cheated their way to the title, beating an undefeated Sooners team. And if I wanted to bother, I could find dozens more of these cases over the years.

It's hard to imagine anything else that is as screwed up, subjective and downright stupid as college football's approach to defining a National Champion year in and year out. After 2004 and Auburn's BIG screw job, I gave up the notion of "National Champion" simply because in any given year, more than one team could reasonable lay claim to it. It's a silly concept really. This whole business of "so and so beat such and such, who beat the other guys -- but on a rainy Saturday so it's not really a 'quality win' and this other team beat so and so -- but it was early in the year so it really shouldn't count" type of arguments that go about every year is mind boggling. And often hilarious, I might add.

That said, I LOVE college football, the game. The rivalries, the hoopla, the sheer joy of the student bodies is unmatched. I've usually found that conference championship games are far more entertaining than so-called National Title games anyway.

10. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Just read that UCF has declared themselves national champions and will have a parade and hoist a banner.
    Good for them:confused:
    I guess one of these lesser teams is going to have to get into the playoffs, get embarrassed or worse, and then we won’t have to listen to this anymore.

rhinocaster and QRSS like this.
  11. stucker

stucker Member

I'm an Auburn fan and watched the UCF game. UCF stopped Auburn's running game and pressured the QB on 3rd down. And their QB, Milton, reminded me of Russell Wilson eluding the pass rush and either throwing or running for first downs. UCF looked like the best team Auburn played this year - better than Clemson, Georgia and Alabama.

But, just today I see that Auburn's top running backs, Johnson and Pettway, and All-American corner back, Carlton Davis are entering the NFL draft early. Plus, after a disappointing loss to Georgia in the SEC title game (after already beating the Bulldogs earlier in the year) the Tigers were probably a little disappointed with the Peach Bowl and didn't have much to play for. On the other hand, UCF was very motivated to keep their unbeaten streak intact. So, UCF is definitely a great team but probably not one of the top four.

12. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

So UCF looked better than UGA did during the 28 - 7 shellacking in the SEC championship (that should have been a 35 - 7 shellacking)?

And if so, and they also looked better than Alabama and Clemson, then wouldn't that make them one of the top 4 teams in the country?

hereandgone18 and Lution like this.
  13. wetdripverb

wetdripverb Member

The NCAA feels the same way.

does any know if the NCAA awards a champ in the new playoff format?

I know every thing before was always mythical including the BCS.

14. The Doper

The Doper Member

Can't fault UCF for declaring themselves National Champions. Alabama has been doing this since the 70s. They lost in the Sugar Bowl to Notre Dame in '73, but count it on their helmets.
    They also count one for their 1941 season -- when they finished AP-ranked #20.
    Oklahoma State just gave themselves the 1945 NC -- knocking Army off that pedestal. An Army team recognized as one of the greatest of all-time.
    Revisionist history, all.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Fred Farkus, Lution and QRSS like this.
  15. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I'd be okay with it if UCF declared themselves the Nominal Champions of NCAAF.

16. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

Like OU? (Full disclosure, I'm a Longhorn :rolleyes:)

Fred Farkus likes this.
  17. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf

This. A thousand times this.

Lution and Fred Farkus like this.
  18. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

No champion? It's really silly, and petty, to say there is no champion. There is a system in place, agreed on by all FBS conferences, to determine a national champion. You may not like it, and it may be imperfect, but since the BCS there has been a national champion. Even if different polls have different teams at #1, only the CFP poll matters.
    And, UCF will not be #1 in the CFP, AP, or coaches polls.

THebert, Rumble5, LDS22 and 1 other person like this.
  19. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

some of you guys should check out division II football. i think they allow 16 teams in their bracket. that seems more fair unless you’re #17.

20. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf

I am saying there are MANY champions, depending on which yardstick you use. You may not like that, but that's how many people see this who aren't part of the big money grab that the current (and past) systems generate -- which is the real reason for this nonsense.

In the end, believe what you will, but if you think this setup is the best it could be and fair to all, then we'll have to agree to disagree because I can see a LOT better options out there if you take money out of the equation.

Fred Farkus and Lution like this.