Outgoing UCF coach Scott Frost makes ass of himself

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jomama2, Jan 1, 2018.

1. mge80

mge80 Member

Yeah. And if my aunt had a penis, she'd be my uncle.

Phletch likes this.
  2. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf

I cannot comment on your family ;)

Fred Farkus likes this.
  3. Lution

Lution Member

Had?

Fred Farkus likes this.
  4. Johnny N.

Johnny N. Member

What also gets overlooked is that UCF gave up 21 points or more in 9 of their 13 games against those lower level teams plus Auburn. I don't think that would have translated well against a tougher schedule.

Rumble5 likes this.
  5. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

Absolutely! If you remember, the Vols were the "champions of life" under Butch's reign. :)

Social Exodus likes this.
  6. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

UCF should not be blamed for any perceived "don't give a crap-itis" on the part of Auburn.

Lution and Social Exodus like this.
  7. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

I'm pretty sure that would be on UCF's athletic director, however, Auburn's disinterest in the game (about which I have doubts) is on Malzahn and any other players who may have made a "business decision".

8. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

It has nothing to do with blame and everything to do with the simple reality that a win over Auburn in a meaningless bowl game doesn't in any way elevate UCF to one of top 4 teams in the country.

I DO think that the bowl system should allow a team like UCF get to get a shot at the national championship if they win and keep winning....

Rumble5 and Dirty_Tones like this.
  9. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

I shouldn't say blame, but more "penalized". I also believe a proper final ranking for them should be around the 6 or 7 range.

10. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

The FCS bracket starts with 24 teams ... 5 rounds of play and the top 8 teams get a bye on the first round.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/fcs

North Dakota State and James Madison for the final this weekend. NDSU looks like they could hang with some FBS teams .... but who knows.

No playoff system is perfect, but this is better than the FBS series.

I'm sure it seems unfair if your #25 ... or #26 ... like being #65 in the NCAA basketball tournament.

My admittedly uninformed opinion is that they want something like this for FBS as well, but the current bowl and conference system is so entrenched that it will take time to get there.

There's over a century's worth of tradition behind the old bowl systems and conferences.

:banana

QRSS likes this.
  11. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Can't we all just agree that UCF are the true Peach Bowl Champions?

12. stucker

stucker Member

UGA took a worse shellacking from Auburn 42 -17 two weeks prior. That was before the BAMA game during which Auburn lost their All-American cornerback Carlton Davis to a concussion and the SEC player of the year, Kerryon Johnson, to bruised ribs and a stinger. I'm not discrediting UGA's well-earned SEC victory but they played a much different Auburn team than the one that defeated them earlier.

And my point about UCF is that sometimes looks can be deceiving. They played a near perfect game against Auburn. But the post-game interviews indicated that some of the key Auburn players (leaving early for the NFL) didn't have much motivation to compete in that game.

13. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I’m glad they are making a stink, even if the actual premise doesn’t hold water tightly. Within the current system, they are of course not National Champions. I do think that 12-0 should get you a spot in a playoff (the 13th is a win too, but didn’t come until after so couldn’t have been considered). But to ensure that they need to expand it by one round.

A big difference between the more highly regarded conference teams and the others in an 8 team scenario is that one loss would have likely bounced UCF from consideration, so the top conferences would still have some advantage.

14. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

The only reason Auburn beat UGA slightly worse on the scoreboard, winning by 23 points as opposed to the 21 points that UGA won by, is because Kirby Smart chose to have mercy on Auburn and not kick the chip shot field goal with a couple minutes remaining. Had he not made that decision, UGA would have had a larger margin of victory (not to mention the 7 points the refs took off the scoreboard due to a bad call, leading to a field goal instead).

As to the injury and motivation stuff, that's just deflection. Injuries happen in football, and it's no one else's responsibility to motivate a team but their own.

Everything turned out how it should have with Auburn ending up 10 - 4 and outside the top 10 and UCF as the true Peach Bowl champs and undefeated but finishing at about #6 or #7 due to a really weak schedule, never having beaten a top 10 team and their best win coming against a 4-loss team who will be at about #12 in the final rankings... or maybe 15.

15. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

If they expanded the playoffs by one round, making it an 8 team playoff, UCF still wouldn't have gotten in as they were ranked #12 going into the playoffs. They would have had to expand it two rounds, to a field of 16, in order for UCF to have made it in this year. I would like to see it expanded to that in the future, though it would likely mean cutting the regular season down by at least one game with every team eliminating one out-of-conference game.

16. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

If rankings were the criteria. The ideal of a playoff is to get as far away from that as possible. I can’t see them keeping out a 12-0 FBS team. (I said ideal instead of idea because making money is the idea of course! And the money is there, how could it not be?)

I would be fine with a 16 team playoff, but don’t think it’s likely. If it ever does happen, it will be after an 8 team playoff is in place, just like an 8 team playoff if it happens will have needed the four team version to pave the way.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  17. stucker

stucker Member

I don't think 3 or 7 points added to the final score matter much as both games were pretty one-sided. What matters now is can Georgia beat Alabama on Monday night.
    They need to study what Auburn did; pass on early downs to open up the running game and put Hurts in 3rd and long so he has to throw from the pocket.