• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Output Tranny AC-30

I am considering a MM output tranny in my AC-30cc. Is this a good mod? I have read a lot of info,and talked to Mercury today,but if I'm a crap farmer and your lookin to buy....you get my point.How much difference will this really make?It will cost about $350 for the parts and install at local tech.

zzmoore

MM has a very aggressive and expensive advertising strategy. If you bought one of their out trannies I am sure you would be happy with it. But I think you would be hearing the dollars spent more than the iron purchased. IMHO their products do not justify the price tag. I would suggest you look into trannies from:
Heyboer
Hammond
Edcor
Weber
Pacific
to name just a few.
We installed a Heyboer OT in our AC30CCH (and several other amps) and are very happy with the results.
Good Luck

Last edited:

jay42

I'd be interested in knowing which of the MM AC30 OTs they were promoting and if they gave any rationale for choosing between Albion, Haddon, and Woden.

Is the Heyboer mentioned, their Woden version? I've read that this version is made with different iron, resulting in a wider frequency range. It's inferred that you have to make some tweaks to reduce bass and treble, if matching an original is the target.

In response to the OP question, I've not done an AC30, but I have been very pleased with replacing a 2204 OT and an 80's Fender OT.

I found a authorised dealer and got the OP tranny and choke both for $200.The tranny is the Woden/tone clone.I love this amp already,so for what I thought was a decent price , its worth the improvement.Thanks for the help.I will get back with you in about 2 weeks after the install and tell you what I think.

Well the verdict is....... The amp sounds better for sure. But IMO the eq is totally backwards now. Can't get enough treble out of it. It kinda has a you get what you get kinda quality now. Not to sure if I like it all that much. It is a lot harder to get the nice cleans out of it now. Seems more like a full on rock amp now.:dunno