Output Transformer wiring Question?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Goldstrat, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

I just got a new weber speaker for my old 67 Hilgen amp. When I went to install it I don't know which wire is positive and which is negative. The old speaker was wirenutted onto the 2 wires coming off the transformer one is green and one is black. Does anyone know how I can tell which one is which without doing any damage? Thanks for any info!

2. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

3. Structo

Structo Member

So this amp does not have a speaker jack?
    I would suspect the black is negative.

4. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

No it doesn't have a jack. It is a 1967 Hilgen 1x15 combo and the old speaker was soldered to lampcord which then was wire nutted to the 2 wires coming off the transformer. The problem is it was disconnected and I want to make sure I don't wire it backwards. I got a new Weber 15" 15F150 speaker and have it in place so I just need to connect the speaker wire to the 2 output wires and put the back cover back on. I'm hoping it sounds good. I think it will it is point to point wired with 2x7199b sylvania tubes. Kind of like an old Ampeg.

[​IMG]

5. doc

doc Member

I would assume the black wire is negative, but unless you have phase issues (in other words, using more than one speaker), it will work fine either way. I would suggest rather than reusing the wire nuts you solder some leads to the wires and then either solder those to the speaker or solder on some female spade lug connectors to attach to the speaker.

6. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

Thanks Doc!!

7. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

Got this working and it sounds very Zeppelin like. This amp is really cool but it is kind of big and not real loud for the size. It crunches up and is perfect for playing at home without any pedals. The volume on the guitar can really change the tone of this amp unlike my newer amps. The Weber is brand new so should get better the more I play it but it sounds pretty good already. Thanks for all the help.