Outrageously good country playing

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Gas-man, Aug 13, 2009.

1. ZOT!

ZOT! Member

Jerry Reed....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOGiW-y-Vhs

I really love the whole hillbilly-savant thing. There is so much talent and invention in country music. It's a shame that most people are so prejudiced against it. I guess it's not surprising considering the lousy tractor-driving pop that gets played on modern country stations.

2. Fezziwig

Fezziwig Member

3. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  4. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

5. R13D

R13D Supporting Member

Yep,just amazing talent for sure.Love it!

6. Quantumphysics

Quantumphysics Member

Bad Ass!
    Talk about focus!
    Obviously pre ADD modeling technology.
    Makes me wonder if humans are evolving anymore.

7. Ed Packer

Ed Packer Silver Supporting Member

Dig those double-neck Mosrites, too!

8. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

Great great stuff!

9. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

10. Mac Daddy 355

Mac Daddy 355 MilkBone Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

11. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

Just what I needed... some more humility.

All these videos are amazing!

12. CHyde

CHyde Member

I love this thread!

13. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

14. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

15. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I did notice, and started a Google search for it right away.

16. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

17. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

And we can't forget the criminally under-credited Brent Mason of his day Grady Martin.

He played the Johnny Burnette Trio stuff and never got props for it.

Listen to his solo on this Johnny Horton number:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elyvIMUd0H0

Sounds like a Tele with flats to me.

18. Steve_2020

Steve_2020 Member

Grady was amazing. He ran the gamut of country, rockabilly and 50s/60s rock. He wasn't a speedball like Jimmy Bryant, Joe Maphis, the Collins Kid or Phil Baugh, but he sure as heck was versatile. Reminds me of what Tommy Tedesco did in LA studios during the 1960s-80s.

Probably Grady's career lick was the one he played on "Pretty Woman"/Roy Orbison. I always wondered if the Beatles heard that great, electric riff and came up with 'Daytripper' of if it was vice versa...? They toured Britain with Roy in 1964. Brian Wilson was probably listening to both those songs when he came up with the cool guitar lick for the Beach Boys "Dance, Dance, Dance' (or worked with session guy Glen Campbell to come up with it)..

For folks who know 50s and 60s country, Grady Martin can be head doing the fine 'spanish guitar' runs that are all over Marty Robbin's 'El Paso.'

His legacy is an amazing one. Guitar Player ran a retropsective on his career in the 1990s (iirc) when Grady was winding things up as a member of Willie Nelson's "Family" (tour band).
    -------
    Thanks much for the clips on Phil Baugh and the others. It is indeed great, humbling stuff.

19. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

The playing in those videos is just insane. The Scotty Anderson clip is beyond great.I would love to be able to play like that,but no amount of practice will ever get me close.

20. Steve_2020

Steve_2020 Member

You watch the older 1950s/60s clips and understand why Danny Gatton would say something like "no way" when fans would call him the world's greatest...

Danny knew about all these guys. Sure he could have stood next to any of them, but they were great too, and he'd learned a bunch of his stuff by listening to what they'd done years before. And what Les Paul had done before them.

But the rock generation -myself included - didn't know many of these guys. No You Tube or internet when I was learning in the late 1960s and 70s and then playing professsionally through the 1980s. So I was sorta getting a more complete picture of guitar from guys like Danny, and sorta from Roy Buchanan before him, watching Roy Clark on Hee Haw etc. But not nearly enough. I'm still just a blues rock guy.

Seeing this stuff - you understand a little more when Joe Bonamassa tells of Danny mentoring him when he was a teenager, telling him to get out and listen to All that great American music...not just the blues.
    --------
    My first paying gig was as a country bassist when I was 17. We had a lead guy who knew the playing of all the super picker early country guys and also then-contemporary greats like Roy Nichols w/Merle Haggard. Our lead guy (maybe 35 years old in 1976) used to just blow my mind every Saturday night as he copped all kinds of country and rockabilly styles and sounds -from Chet/Travis through Maphis through the stuff on current 70s country records... all with a fender Jaquar through a silverface fender combo, maybe a super. With a touch of reverb.

He had a gig in another group which did cocktail jazz. Jazz? No Problem. ANY pop song? No Problem. As my erstwhile bandleader (the 'other' guitarist in the country band) used to joke, 'if Ricky gets any better, we may have to break a finger or two.'

Rick Carter was my first in-person encounter with a complete guitarist. Well, almost complete. He couldn't do Clapton style or Chicago blues. Didn't interest him.
    -------
    I read an interview a few years back where Brian Setzer talked about a lost generation of great, "complete" very musical guitarists from the 50s.

Players including the guys on this thread and some jazzier guys...whose fantastic playing got lost in the rock and roll shuffle of Beatlemania and the later Brit Blues/hard rock stuff. Brian apparently had some great unknown players near him (in Brooklyn, iirc) and got some lessons early on that schooled him in this type of 'complete guitar' (probably as Danny had -in a more country vein - a decade or more before)...and it's why Brian can also be included in these rosters of monster players.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009