Ovation - Current production model quality?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by maradona86, Feb 4, 2015.

1. maradona86

maradona86 Member

Are the new production models a consistently quality product? I'm looking at their Celebrity and their Celebrity Elite plus models and are wondering what your experiences are with them as they are a bit hard to stumble across in my area. I know they are not Prewar Martins and all that....I'm an electric player by trade so to me, these feel and play fine. I owned a Celebrity Deluxe about a decade ago and it was a nice axe. Only got rid of it to fund an electric purchase. All the searching I've done on their fanpage seems to show their fanbase is all butthurt over the fact that they were sold to FMIC and then offloaded to DW.

I'm looking for a nice stage guitar that also records well in the studio; these have that. The soundslips on youtube sound decent enough for sure.
    What say you guys/gals out there?
    Thanks in advance.

2. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I suggest looking for a used Legend from the 80's. Those were super nice and probably pretty cheap now.

3. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

4. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I assume you mean recent production. There are no new production Ovations. My understanding is they are gone, the factory guys sent home.

hunter

5. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

Unless something happened very recently, they are still very much in production!

The USA models have shrunk greatly though. I think only the high $$ adamas line is made here in the states.

I picked up a CC48 PD last year--korean made. Like a lot of eastern guitars these days, I think it's pretty well made for the price. I have fiddled with the set up a bit but it plays nice up and down the neck. Plays faster than the average acoustic. I don't have a decent acoustic amp to play it through yet so can't give a good report on the pick up. But they generally have a good rep.

There are some nice used ones around e-bay etc. too, but they can have some age related issues that would concern me. I'd only buy used if I had a pretty good return guarantee or if I could get it in my hands to inspect first.

6. Bigswede

Bigswede Member

The Ovation factory in the US was closed last year. Kaman music that had owned Ovation just sold it along with other holdings to DW (Drum Workshop.)

7. maradona86

maradona86 Member

Yeah, I got that Bigswede. I'm just trying to gauge the quality of their Celebrity Elite models and see if any of you fine picker folks out there have any experience with them.
    As far as buying used, that always feels weird to me. I like a new guitar as I see it as a sort of clean canvas; nobody elses mojo is there.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the "celebrity" stuff was never that good.

sshan25 likes this.
  9. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

Then I am confused. There is an active website.

http://www.ovationguitars.com/

Note the "USA" section

If the factory was closed but the equipment and some of the employees were retained at a different location, I wouldn't say they are gone. Does appear that all they claim to make in the US anymore is their top dollar line.

10. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

I use a Korean Ovation Celebrity 12 string in the band I am in right now, and it has been a real workhorse. Sounds good, stays in tune, and has performed flawlessly. I really like mine.

11. maradona86

maradona86 Member

I guess that's the frustration of things. Here you get some who have very negative criticisms about the offshore guits and urge the buying of older USA used guits and those who have great success with the Korean stuff from the last 10-15 years. IDK, the idea of buying used acoustics never appeals to me; it's got someone elses stamp or something. I like new and I don't really care where it's made so long as it's made well. Furthermore, the soundclips of the newer stuff that is out there sound real nice so it makes it tough to accurately gauge things. Thanks for your opinions all of you guys; helpful and educational nonetheless. The jury is STILL out I guess.....

12. Birddog

Birddog Member

I've used a Celebrity as my workhorse gigging acoustic for several years now. Never let me down and, plugged through an appropriately voiced acoustic amp (Marshall ASD, in my case) it sounds as good and authentically acoustics as you could want.

It isn't beautiful, like a real acoustic, but it's definitely taken many, many gigs worth of abuse both in an acoustic duo and for acoustic songs in my cover bands with nary a hiccup. Fresh strings and a new nine-volt every now and then and it's held up just fine.

13. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Member

DW just signed a lease and will reopen the Ovation USA plant in New Hartford, CT. We will see new American-built Ovations soon!

lp_bruce likes this.
  14. Pitar

Pitar Member

Would not own another one. Good to know they're reopening the factory and continuing the name, though. If I was to get another plastic guitar it would be all plastic like a Rainsong or Emerald. The Ovation Glen Campbell model I had in the early 70's just could not compete in a mix of other acoustics. It was a great player but, even for being a deeper bowl model, too quiet. It did not come with onboards, either.

15. VTR

VTR Member

I have a Elite LX (among other acoustics) see if they are still made and a USA model. I have Model 1778LX, it is such a nice acoustic. Can not beat the pick-up and pre in these, and very simple to dial in great sounds. I have had it (time flies) probably close to ten years. The Elite line up is what I would look at, but I do not think they are higher end any more, this Ovation retailed for around 1800.00 dollars.

16. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I said this many times 20 yrs. ago. If Ovation would make a flat back instead of a round bowl, they would be competing with Martin and Gibson by now.

17. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Gibson tried it in the mid 80s and so has Yamaha.....