• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ovation - weird tilt when standing using a strap

crunchyjax

Hi -

I just bought a beautiful new Ovation (loved the sound when plugged in!), got it home, put on the strap, and then... uh, this thing has a weird tilt. I only played it sitting down in the store, so this never occurred to me would be an issue. The face of the guitar does not naturally rest perpendicular to the floor, rather the top is closer to my body, and the bottom sticks out. I don't think this is caused by my body!

Anyone else notice this? Bothered by this? Have a solution for this? Every other acoustic guitar I've ever played naturally rests in a position that's perpendicular to the floor.

Appreciate any help and feedback...

73Fender

Hard to play sitting too IMHO. Never could bond with the shape and I'm very flexible that way.

Jimmy3Fingers

The Standing Ovation from greatscottmfg.com works well. I had one and posted this information in another Ovation post.

wilblee

Hack sans shame
Platinum Supporting Member
I have played quite a few Ovations standing up (and sitting down) and, even though I have a belly the size of some coastal islands, I have managed to make them work and work well. It's been so long now that I can't remember what adjustment I made that solved the problem, but I play 'em now without thinking and they "assume the position", so to speak, automatically. Thinking back I may have lowered the strap a bit to make it work. You have to be a true flat-belly to play these at nipple-rider height.

crunchyjax

you guys are the best - yes, the Standing Ovation! Of course! Actually going to that page (http://www.greatscottmfg.com/standing_ovation.html) what struck me most was the look on the woman's face before she got the device. By golly, that's exactly the same expression that I had on my face when I first put the strap on the Ovation!

Thanks for the suggestion.

jp1977

I recently discovered the same thing. A friend let me borrow his ovation to practice and use for a gig and it sounded excellent and was resonant. Unfortunately, the curved back shell that helps make it resonant also takes some getting use to while holding it. Playing without a strap and sitting the guitar can slide out , with a strap it slips out a bit also. Not a big deal though if u get used to it, and like I said they sound great.

Teledeluxe77

I always had the same problem with my Ovation and I had it for 9 years before I sold it. Fortunately for me it was an easy adjustment. However, I will never buy a rounded-back again.

Matt McGriff

Ovation now offers the contour body, which sits much nicer, both standing and sitting. I had many ovations and adamas guitars in the mid part of the last decade, but sold them all. The rounded back certainly was one reason. I always enjoyed them, especially the Adamas models and the LX Series with inlayed epaulets, new necks and in the end the contour bodies. I was sad to see FMIC come in and gut Ovation and send all of the manufacturing to Korea. The Legend and Elite USA models, the the $700-$800 price point were a great value. I now get my alternative material acoustic fix from my Rainsong. Love it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom