Over E7 and A7 chord progression...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by eddie101, Feb 23, 2012.

1. eddie101

eddie101 Member

A song - not a blues tune ;) - starts with 4 measures each of the said chord. My Q is; will A Harmonic Minor work over the progression? A HM sounds great over E7 but not so much over A7 - IMHO :) - and I want to play something other than a usual blues scale. Appreciate your time in advance. Ed

2. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

A harmonic minor will not work so well over A7.

A7 = AC#EG
    A Harm Minor - ABCDEFG#A

You will have a real problem with the 3rd and the 7th of the chords, two very important notes. The safest choice is A mixolydian (ABC#DEF#G). Depending on the situation A harmonic minor over the E7 can sound strange when resolving back to A7. Depends on what you are looking for. You could use A Phrygian dominant over the A7 (A,Bb,C#, D,E,F,G) that is the 5th mode of D harmonic minor. That'll keep that darker sound.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  3. binge

binge Member

For this I'd use A mixolydian over the A7 and E mixolydian over E7. You could minorise it and play E Dorian and B Dorian, or even E minor pent and B minor pent over the chords.

4. russ6100

russ6100 Member

I know I sound like a broken record http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LP_record

but asking for a "scale prescription" for a chord progression / sequence without giving any context (genre, style, tempo) is a losing game.

5. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

It's NOT a blues tune...yet it begins on a dominant chord, then moves to a secondary dominant chord?

6. eddie101

eddie101 Member

LOL! It's a fast contemporary gospel tune w/blues/rock flavor.

7. Tomo

Tomo Member

If you turn any Chruch music on radio. You can hear those chnages a lot.

You can play M3 5 b7 b9 on E7 (last 2 beats on E7) to A7 etc. That's kind of sound are you looking for?

Tomo

8. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Rock sound ending with Bluesy/jazzy feel. I feel like I'm ordering a gormet meal. :)

9. flavaham

flavaham Member

Well, chord tones are A C# E G and E G# B D. I'd kind of steer clear of both G and G#. Maybe use F# instead. That gives you the 13 of A7 and the 9th of E7. Scale would be A B C# D E F#. (or 1 2 b3 4 5 6). Pretty interesting scale right there.

Another thing to do occasionally is use a H/W Diminished scale over each chord, starting on the root of the chord. I wouldn't over do it on this but every now and then it can sound pretty cool. Even just a fully diminished arpeggio can get you to another part of the neck. I think the scale above should keep you pretty safe overall though.

Oh, and arpeggios and chord tones over each chord. Maybe don't think in terms of scales. Scales make your riffs a bit linear and boring sometimes.

Hope that helps.

10. eddie101

eddie101 Member

I think this is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a TONE! :)

11. flavaham

flavaham Member

Glad I could help! Got a recording of the tune?

12. flavaham

flavaham Member

Also, check out that scale I listed above. You should be able to play that over both chords without even having to think about what you're doing.

13. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

Try out E dorian. You can mix it with A mixolydian. B minor pentatonic/blues scale can work as well.

14. JonR

JonR Member

Sounds bluesy enough for me. Ie, that's why those chords have b7s: same reason blues chords chords do. It's the same tradition, the same culture.
    Of course, you can still be inventive and go outside the gospel tradition. HW dim would definitely do that!
    What I would do - if I wanted to stay faithful to gospel traditions while avoiding blues cliches - would be to go with major pent on each chord.

15. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Can't seem to find it on youtube. I'll post it as soon as I do. Thank you.

16. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Are you playing My Redeemer Lives, bro?

17. eddie101

eddie101 Member

It is a tune written by Scott Brenner, IIRC.

18. Michael_V

Ok, cool. A friend of mine played "My Redeemer Lives" (E7, A7) in a large church a couple years ago and just RIPPED across that progression. No idea what scale(s) he used, but it was certainly head turning. I still remember the sense of awe I felt (mixed with feelings of inadequacy and self-loathing, a common experience for me, ha ha!).

19. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Well, if he's a friend of YOURS then you should've asked him about those ripping solos that you speak of!! I would've....lol

20. Michael_V

Today I would probably ask, but this was years ago, and I was way too intimidated at the time and now we've lost touch! Geez, I wonder if he's on this forum. Randy Jr, are you out there?