Over mythologizing of players. Favorite urban legends?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by therhodeo, Jan 9, 2019.

1. zep41

zep41 Member

I knew Glenn pretty well and you bring up some good points. But he was actually a very nice and humble guy when he wasn't on stage.

If you talk to a lot of old Cleveland musicians and especially guitar players that were starting out in the 60s, Glenn was no doubt an admiration and huge influence. That's never been disputed by anyone in the Cleveland music scene during that time. I mean, he certainly was in the original James Gang and Glenn taught Joe Walsh a lot of the guitar parts after he left. Joe has confirmed this numerous times. He always referred to Glenn as his first guitar teacher.

Anything beyond that is anybody's guess. Could be some truth, some fabrication. Did Hendrix know who Glenn was? Sure, probably. He probably said he liked him once. There is no doubt Glenn had to have jammed at least a small handful of a lot of guitarists we consider rock stars. Check out some of the bills that PG&E played on in the late 60s early 70s.

But I dont think there's any truth to the rumors that Duane Allman wanted Glenn before they got Dickie Betts. Or any of that other sensationalist stuff.

I have played guitar with Glenn a few times and shared a bill with him more than a few. His playing was so erratic, but you could once every so often hear the greatness come through that everyone talked about - the stuff that kept him locally famous at least. But yes, it did seem more often than not as he got older, that his playing was very schizophrenic.

However, I can remember on many occasions where he would seem to be having an off night -- then for like 5 or 6 minutes he would just really sink into the zone an execute licks that would make your eyes pop out. Truly captivating and would wow the sh*t out of any guitar player. Like "where the hell did THAT come from!!??" kind of stuff. Then he'd revert back to his old self.

fretless and BriSol like this.
  2. zep41

zep41 Member

I don't even know where to begin, your response is so silly.

But I will just say you offered absolutely no proof regarding any of your claims. They are all your personal beliefs, completely devoid of facts.

"Peter Grant had people whose sole function was to make them look dangerous to old people?" It sounds even more ridiculous as I type it. Who were those people and how did they "make them look dangerous?"

You do realize you are talking about a band that finally decided in late 1972 - about 4 years after they formed mind you -- to hire a publicist whose job was to help the magazines print more stories about album and concert sales, RATHER THAN senseless rumors spread by 16 year old LA girls?

Wolfgangsta likes this.
  3. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

I never bought in to the “Yngwie can’t make toast” myth ‘til I saw this.

Orm-D and FbIsNotE like this.
  4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

No pun intended I hope.

5. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

I heard that if you say Robben Ford three times fast while looking into the mirror your jeans turn into tan pants. I must admit, I'm too afraid to try it.

Matteo11, fretless, Angeln and 5 others like this.
  6. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

A Strat into a Tube Driver into an old Marshall, with a touch of Echoplex??
    That’s a pretty basic signal path.
    wow.
    Rough crowd.

7. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

For me, it’s not a tone thing, it’s more of a feel thing.
    With certain batteries the notes get to the amp quicker.

8. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Those 'people' were Led Zeps PR Machine - which was huge in the late 60s and early 70s.
    And they dropped stories to various people to publish. The classic manufactured story was
    the Stairway played backwards nonsense. The Paul is dead stories seriously amped up
    Beatles sales - Led Zeppelin took notice - and manufactured their own story. The Idea
    that they only got publicist after 1974 is ludacrist. I think you need to look at Peter Grants
    genius at band business management. That man - despite his character flaws - set the
    benchmark for Managers. I can't even Imagine if he had managed the Beatles - but
    with Led Zeppelin he singlehandedly made them bigger than the Beatles in the 70s.

And I won't disagree with you that my thoughts are anecdotal - only to say after years in the
    business - what I hear is from people who worked with the band back in the day - promoters
    who did business with them - and occasionally a studio engineer who worked with them.

9. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

10. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

Jimmy Page played so fast that not all the notes could get through the cable.

fretless, Orm-D, Pixies2005 and 4 others like this.
  11. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

Meh. Its place has been taken in my mythology.

Merrywoodsman, Kurt L and chopsley like this.
  12. zep41

zep41 Member

Dude, there's like 20 people that were very involved and close to the band/Atlantic Records on record stating that the band hired Danny Goldberg as a publicist in late 1972 after their US tour out sold the Stones, but received substantially less press.

Before that you had a handful of guys at Atlantic that did promo work with radio stations and some publications, but that was it.

Peter Grant wore it as a badge of honor that Zeppelin didn't need press, publicity, market teams, etc. His expectation was totally about street cred and nothing else. All of the facts and known interviews and quotes from reputable people point to that -- there is almost nothing factual to support any of your claims.

13. OldN'inTheWay

OldN'inTheWay Member

Just to clarify, I LOVE Eric Johnson, and his lead, rhythm and clean tones are to die for.
    I was actually referring to other players who don't particularly like his sound. For example, there's a pretty well known jazz / fusion guy who said Johnson's lead tone left a lot to be desired. Different strokes for different folks.

14. bloodninja

bloodninja Member

Nikki Sixx mentioned that in The Heroin Diaries.

fretless and A-Bone like this.
  15. seward

seward Member

Carry on dead man...

16. Brig Gen Ripper

Brig Gen Ripper Member

[​IMG]
    When we all think of Robben's muscular, horn-like tone, isn't this the image that comes to mind? Only one who plays with a muscular, horn-like tone could make a facial expression like this when pontificating on the tritone substitution, Miles, how much he digs his Dumble, and how important it is to get the concept.

17. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

Dude looks like an old lady.

fretless likes this.
  18. cookieshoes

cookieshoes Member

“Deliberately weird Guitar Face” being a natural thing that just “comes out” of blues players because the solo is so powerful.

John Mayer and Joe Bonamassa being the worst offenders. Its a forced gimmick, that just happens to mimic the same expressions that people like SRV made. What a coincidence.

I’m all for performance art, a la Hendrix/Page/Kiss and the theatrical stage moves and costumes that go with it. It’s the over the top “face” thing so predominant in the current generation of blues guitarists that is just corny.

19. lhallam

lhallam Member

It might not be true but I definitely read that in a guitar magazine I just don't recall which one.

On topic:

Ginger Baker lighting himself on fire at the end of a Blind Faith concert.

Jimi Hendrix peeing on the audience, Jimi playing with his feet.

Franz Zappa taking 100 hits of LSD.

Frank having a gross out contest with Beefheart. Beefheart pooped on stage and Zappa not to be out done, ate it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  20. beanbass

beanbass Member

That did happen when Van Halen opened for Black Sabbath one summer. Friends of mine saw that at the Cape Cod Coliseum and were forever changed.

27sauce likes this.