Over mythologizing of players. Favorite urban legends?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by therhodeo, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

I don't know...I'm not saying he was a teetotaler, only that as far as I have heard from a few folks around them at the time, that he wasn't anywhere near the level of party animal that a few of the others were.

The only one of the four that I ever knew was Ed, though to be fair it was a bit before things started getting rather excessive.

2. Chris Scott

No there's a story that I would comfortably bet my life on that it never happened.:cool:

I remember the 1st time I heard "Let's Dance"...I thought it was Albert, but it just didn't make sense...when a friend said "...nah, man - that's Jimmy Vaughan's little brother Stevie", I was kinda relieved, as I just couldn't get my head around Albert ever wanting anything at all to do with David Bowie.

buddyboy and 27sauce like this.
  3. Chris Scott

Back in the day, many of us did...gets all the mung out of the windings, and they come back to life...for a bit.:cool:

Fat tone79 and wire-n-wood like this.
  4. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

Uncle Ted defecating in his pants for days to avoid the draft. That one has been beaten to death. It's amazing people actually believe that and quote it to this day.

5. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

The dude from the B52s didn't tune his guitar ever. Even Playing live. He could just pick it up and play. I've heard more than one person spew this silliness.

6. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

It’s been said that the rock band Angel tried to rush release a charged-up version of You Really Got Me to beat VH to the punch. I wonder if there is a recording out there or if it ever really happened.

7. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

There's some guys who've tested this procedure for effectiveness, particularly with bass strings... it's on youtube. I've never done it, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it positively affects the playing qualities of the strings.

Fat tone79 likes this.
  8. middlechainringguy

middlechainringguy Silver Supporting Member

Miltonic. But the hands were his daughters'.

PLX, rwmct and A-Bone like this.
  9. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

The Brown Sound. Supposedly running everything way over voltage, or that's how the story went, originally. I know a guy that super-hot-rodded a Bassman so the voltages were crazy high and it still didn't sound remotely like EVH's amp.
    The joke was on us 'cause it turned out to be just the opposite...running amps way under 120..as in a brown-out.

Fat tone79 likes this.
  10. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I read something different and I’m pretty sure it was from his biography. The superglue was used to glue calluses, that were ripping off, back on.

fjblair and Fat tone79 like this.
  11. beanbass

beanbass Member

There's more to it than that. A very well-known guitar player me that he once sat in with Eric Johnson, plugging into Eric's amp; he said "I sounded like Eric Johnson!"
    My cousin had a Plexi that Eric was interested in , so it was sent to Eric's amp tech for evaluation. They decided not to keep it, and sent it back, but it had been modded. My cousin said "I sounded like Eric Johnson!".

12. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

The 4F was real, and he definitely stayed home. He’s overcompensating with the chest-beating bravado.

There’s a man laying in the hospital across the street who stepped up when guys like Ted “had to rock.”

But sure, Ted was totally just joking. Interested in a bridge?

13. BriSol

BriSol Member

That's a fair post. I don't mean to be harsh in speaking ill of the recently dead. And I'd be willing to accept that he probably had his moments pop out through the haze. But it is, as far as I can tell from any video recording of him from the 80's onwards, a blurry haze. And since I've always been a non-religious person, the fire and brimstone fundamentalist thing is a cultural association that just turns me off completely. I won't pander to that.

I just always was left scratching my head at what I consider the level of hype around him. I'm sure Glenn was influential to *a certain group* of Cleveland guitar players. I think that the claims Butch Armstrong makes about him are hyperbolic though - he makes it sound like Glenn was literally the first in Cleveland to play "exciting rock guitar" and that everyone in Cleveland who ever played guitar worshiped him and wouldn't play rock guitar without him. My intuitive response to that is "maybe in your circles".

The reality is probably more that there were different, overlapping musician circles that went radically different paths in the 60's and 70's. If you were one of the people who got into, say, progressive rock, or jazz, you probably didn't worship Glenn. He's most relevant to the blues-rock crowd.

Otherwise, part of my issue is that I just don't put a lot of stock in these sort of "So and so was almost famous" or "so and so knew famous people" stories. The fact that a musician "almost was a member of a famous band" and people riding on the laurels of such facts doesn't move me, and that's not just in reference to Glenn. A lot of 50+ local musicians have these sort of "I won the Jimmy Hendrix competition award in 1984" stories.

14. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

The basis of these stories actually isn't that odd. He made a statement (ages ago) about new vs. old battery technology. What he said was that old batteries (you know, the kind that used to leak all the time :D) would die slowly, and that there was a sweet spot where his drive pedals were slightly underpowered that he really loved. New batteries on the other hand would play at full power for a long time, and then just poop the bed quickly. That being retold over and over again in Guitar Centers turned into "I can hear the difference between kinds of batteries" and I've even heard it said he could tell the difference between brands.

His original statement isn't that weird. A weaker battery produced a lower signal which he liked.

15. RockNote

RockNote Member

There's no question Steve Vai is exceptionally talented, but learning Yngwie's show in just ONE day...? :)

fretless likes this.
  16. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

In my bass playing days I used to boil my bass strings often, it works great, and brings them right back to life. Takes about 1 minute of boiling. I've never done it with regular guitar strings, because their cheap.

fretless and Fat tone79 like this.
  17. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

This clip is essential. WOW.Thanks for sharing!

18. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

That’s just insulting to Gilbert

19. tonalvision

tonalvision Supporting Member

According to wikipedia, this is Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter.

A-Bone likes this.
  20. Fat tone79

Fat tone79 Supporting Member

Haha yeah, Eddie actually apologized to anyone that blew up their amp using the variac the wrong way.
    Apparently a lot of people thought he would increase the voltage not drop it.

NorCal_Val likes this.