Overcharge?!?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by jeffrey827, May 25, 2008.

1. jeffrey827

jeffrey827 Member

So i just went to The Guitar Center to get my guitar fixed. All i wanted them to do was to take a truss rod and play around with the action if my guitar was messed up. they said that it would cost around 50$ or something like that to do something to it. i'm not sure what because i had to leave my guitar there. what's up wit that?

2. giannifive

giannifive Member

Labor is expensive nowadays. I've saved a ton of money by learning to do my own setups/repairs/etc. Once I get fret leveling and crowning down I'll be all set!

I learned how to do a setup here:

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm

It's for floating trem electrics, but the basics apply to any guitar.

3. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

That sounds pretty unusual. What GC? Do they have an in house repair guy or do they send the guitar out?

You should NEVER leave your guitar some place to be fixed if you have never met the person that is going to work on it and you don't know what you will be paying for.

As far as an overcharge, our in house tech charges $45 for a set up. That includes all adjustments and leveling the frets if needed.

4. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

how much did you think it was going to be, free:crazy

Guitar Centers around here don't do repairs or teach lessons or do much other than sell stuff, and there are three of them close, all the same.

5. jeffrey827

jeffrey827 Member

well they said they would do a set-up but i didn't really need one. i just wanted my action to be set right because i thought it was off so i changed it but i think i might've messed it up more so i brought it to The Guitar Center in EB but they said i had to do a set-up or somtin like that.

6. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Never use GC for those needs.Find a smaller shop who will give personal attention.It may cost a bit but the relationship with the luthier will pay in terms of keeping guitars(I have 8)up and running,if a good technician and artist.

7. jeffrey827

jeffrey827 Member

haha. thanks but i'm don't think there's a shop around here like that. do u no any sites that talk about luthiers around nj?

8. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

$50 for a set up shouldn't include a fret leveling.

I'd recommend learning some basics of setting up your guitar, once you've done it a couple of times you get the idea of how things work and what you like.

I did guitar repair for a long time, I got started when someone botched a small repair job for me. You can find all kinds of solid information online to get you started. Go slow and ask questions and you should be alright. Start on a cheaper guitar at first to gain some experience.

Good luck!

9. jazzandmetal?

Just wondering why.

10. burner

burner Member

that's the going rate w/o fretwork

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

If not Red Bank Guitars,look in NY,at anyone of a number of places.Look for a joint that does vintage or custom guitar sales-you'll find a good one who's competent.Mandolin Bros,Tom Doyle in Sussex,Rob Distefano,Matt Umanov,Rudy Pensa,FretTech,David Myka,call AF@Fuchs he has a guy in North NJ,Norio Imai, who is based in manhattan on 22nd street between 5th and 6th avenues,Bill Bonanzinga in Bay Shore, long Island NY.

This is from briefly using the search function,on TGP-try googling 'North NJ/NY luthiers',young jedi...

12. jazzandmetal?

The guy at my store is a really good tech. A lot of people recommend him here if you are looking for a tech in Hampton roads. he will dress the frets if it is needed. Included in the set up rate.

13. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

in NJ?

near ocean twp.?

phil and david petillo

732-239-1129

http://www.petilloguitars.com/

honest as the day is long

tell them mike rowley sent you

14. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Hey Mike, can I tell them you sent me? I'm about two miles away, but could never get a call back. However, I know of another very good guy down here... Paul Unkert, who does business as "The Guitar Guy" in Toms River. He's somewhat famous for having worked on some stars' guitars.

If you're up north, I'd recommend Bill Baker at Dave's Sound in Whippany.

BTW, the GC in EB sends guitars out. PM me if you want the ID of the guy who does it. Long story short, if the owner does it you're in good shape, but he has had a couple of employees doing them who should not have been.

15. thinline

thinline Member

if you're near central jersey, give jimmy somma a call...he does incredible work on guitars (and amps) at a great price...

www.sommatone.com

16. burner

burner Member

I'm not in that area but where I live the usual set-up charge is $35-$50.
    Some will touch up a fret or two for the same price, others charge an added nominal fee.
    I do my own set-ups but for any fretwork, I take them to the shop.

17. jeffrey827

jeffrey827 Member

i live near eb. :) thanks for all the help so far. i apreciate it

18. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

most definitely tell them I sent you.

19. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I use Phil D'Angelo in Fair Lawn NJ. He's excellent, fairly priced and does great work. Tell him I sent you. ;) http://www.dangeloguitars.com/

Tom Doyle is no longer in NJ/NJ area, he moved to somewhere in Florida. I'm not sure how much of this kind of work he does anymore since he started his pickup and vintage Les Paul clone business. http://www.tomdoyleguitars.com/

In central NJ, David Petillo is carrying on his dad's legacy and is a fine luthier and setup guy. Does work for Springsteen, Nils, and many pro's. http://petilloguitars.com/

In NYC Peekamoose is well-respected, as is Roger Sadowsky and 30th Street Guitars does great work as well. I imagine Rudy's still has a shop as well, but I don't know for certain.

My friend Ric Mc Curdy is an excellent builder and does excellent setup and fret work. http://www.mccurdyguitars.com/

I believe Guitar Center basically rents bench space in their stores, so it's going to be hit or miss as far as the quality of the tech.

20. royd

royd Member

I didn't see where in NJ the OP is, but there are also a number of excellent repair folk in the Philly area. When I lived in philly in the 80's, Ron Ruggiero did my work.

Getting your action addressed is a set-up, so that is what the $50 is for and that seems about typical.

And likewise, for that price, I wouldn't expect any fret dressing. If a good repair person is adding that, it is a great price IMHO.