Overchoice: Sell Kemper Toaster & Buy Helix Floor?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Chumlee, May 26, 2019.

1. Chumlee

Chumlee Member

I suppose I could get an Axe-Fx III, but then I'd have to get the foot-controller to get similar functionality to the Helix Floor plus then I'd need a case for the rack unit; when, if I was really interested in an Axe III, I would simply get the axe Axe-Fx FM3. All an Axe III would do is exponentially raise the overchoice-consumerism function, while not providing any more joy; likely in would simply and sadly decrease playing time. I started this to see if there were views that the Helix Floor had practical advantages from a user interface point of view as compared to the Kemper, and I believe in that sense the Helix Floor is better suited to changing things quickly with your feet and having everything in one place at one time and being able to quickly visually confirm status than the Kemper does even with the Kemper Remote.

2. Chumlee

Chumlee Member

I'm there and you are 100% correct in everything you say. It just happens that there is a used Helix Floor locally and it would end up costing about the same as a Kemper Remote when you factor in the two pedals etc.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  3. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

Don't see how you could go wrong with either choice. Both units have exceptional quality and tone potential.

VCuomo likes this.
  4. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

Just wondering- what pedals?

So far, I’m really not finding too many pedals that I can’t dial in on the Kemper other than a geranium fuzz and my beloved El Cap. (FWIW - I could never get an El Cap right with my Helix)

5. Fireproof

Fireproof Member

Since he mentioned two pedals, I’m assuming he means the “remote” as one pedal and a separate expression pedal as the 2nd one - to be equivalent to the Helix Floor.

6. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

I can - when I purchased my KPA there was no remote, so I used an FCB1010/UnO4Kemper floorboard.

The FCB is much cheaper built, doesn't give you access to the looper (maybe it does now) and requires three cables (power + two MIDI). The Kemper Remote is built like a tank and only needs one cable. It's just a much better-integrated solution and more rugged solution.

7. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

If you can find it cheap go for it. I would rarely recommend selling something to try something new unless you don’t like what you have. You really have to put these modelers through their paces at home. I know some people love them and others hate them. Sonically I don’t find them interchangeable at all. They all have their pros and cons.

8. zematynnad

zematynnad Member

Sounds like you have a good opportunity to pick up a Helix at a good price - this is your chance to see for yourself. Opinions are like armpits so I'll offer mine sincerely in the hope that they don't stink.
    1) I don't buy the Kemper has the edge over Helix on tone argument. I think they're both fantastic sounding units, both equally capable of getting you the sound you want. I absolutely love the sounds I get from my Helix and never feel like I'm missing anything. You lose nothing in sound should you decide to go Helix.
    2) I think getting a great sound out of the Helix is super easy, logical, and fast. But, that may not be everyone's experience. I don't understand that, but we all come from different backgrounds and have different expectations and maybe that explains some of it. So try it out and see how it goes for you. But for me (and I assume most) - super easy.
    3) The UI (and all of the I/O) of the Helix is the most intuitive I've ever used in any modeler and is crucial (IMHO) for live use. It's fantastic and a joy to use.
    4) The folks at Line6 and the user community are super.

Whatever you decide, would be really interested to learn how it goes for you.

MIJLOVER and Mark Al like this.
  9. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

Just an observation from someone who has gone on the other direction... well... not really as I still have my Stomp and HXFX

While I love the Helix UI and such, the amp tones and feel I get from the Kemper are incredible. With the right profiles, the Kemper is a noticeable step up.

As a L6 guy, I was “Kemper curious” and wanted to see what Kempers were all about. At this point, I’m really sold on the Kemper.

But - it’s not all about amp tones. I think it comes down to what you need out of a rig. They both offer a lot. If money allows, I think it’s worth trying both to see what seems right to you.

10. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

I think it's worth noting that for high gain, you may not notice much difference, but you will really notice the difference between a Helix and a Kemper when it comes to crunch and low gain tones.

Artists like Mark Knopfler, Patt Metheny and Guthrie Govan use the Kemper live, it's not even one of those endorsements where they just have it in the rack for show. They actually use the device.

I would just save the money instead of putting it into another digital device. It's probably just GAS that you should avoid.

11. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Opposite for me. I can get some great clean tones easily out of the Helix but struggled for two years to be happy with the high gain stuff. With the right IR's, the Deluxe and the Matchless are awesome amps. The Marshalls and hotter, I just couldn't settle in with them.