overdrive and distortion pedal together= sound cutting out

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JasonAz, Feb 3, 2012.

1. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

sometimes, if I turn both of them on together (rat and wampler od) the sound cuts out...I also had a reverb pedal on.. what causes this to happen

2. luke_95

luke_95 Member

possibly your power supply overloading?

3. terrapin

terrapin Member

It will be interesting to see how people will diagnose this one... I know nothing, but it sounds like signal is clipping into seizure? Sounds like ALOT of gain happening there?

4. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

is doesnt happen when i turn on other pedals... I guess distortion is more powerful, than say.... a chorus and tremolo together

5. terrapin

terrapin Member

I doubt it's about "more powerful" I'm thinking gain.

6. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

and i dont think its a volume thing, because i have a limiter on the max volume.... i think the 3 pedals together...er plus my ns2 and cs3 limiter may be too much.. ah well..its ok in any case... i just wont use them together

7. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

Some reverb pedals can draw quite a bit of current. What pedal is it and what kind of power supply are you using?

8. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

one is a t rex, 8 input.....and then a gator 8 input that came with the board

9. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

It's not a power issue. Both Rats and Wampler drive pedals are true bypass -- if the power goes out, the signal would still pass through, just without the effect engaged. This sounds more like a bad patch/switch issue.

Check the switch on the Rat first. I've had mine go out before and it would kill my signal completely. Try plugging straight into the Rat and engage the pedal a few times. If it is the Rat, ProCo is great with fixing these types of things whether or not you are still under warranty. Do the same with the Wampler pedal.

Next thing would be trying the patch cables. Wiggle the cable a bit. If you are hearing break up, it means your patch is going out/shorting. Try a couple of different patches if that's the case.