Overdrive and/or Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jtindle, Dec 3, 2005.

1. jtindle

jtindle Member

Hey guys,

I haven't posted here much but do enjoy reading all the good info you guys give. I have ordered a TIMMY for my low to mid overdrive tones but I also need a singing lead tone. I thought about the Mosferatu but I like the Zendrive better. Will the Zendrive give me the singing lead tone I need? If not, would stacking the Zendrive with the TIMMY give me the singing lead tone as well or better then using the Mosferatu by itself?

Thanks

Jeff

2. diatonicdude

diatonicdude Member

Jeff,

the ZD will do it all (you could have saved yourself a few bucks)!!!!

Rather than I list all the reasons why, just do a search within this forum for "zendrive" and you will get a list atributes as long as war and peace, and of course, the same general consenus!!!

There's nothing like variety in life, so try the lot if you can, but I think you will soon become drawn into Alf's Aficionado of Zen :)

Cheer's,

DD

3. drolling

drolling Member

Jeff, welcome to TGP.

I, too, have soaked up plenty of really useful info here, but I've never blown so much dough on peripheral equipment in my entire life as I've done in the past 10 months,

Never sounded better, either!

What guitars/amps you using? Could you give us an example of what's a *singing* tone to you?

Almost impossible to give appropriate advice w/o knowing your gear & the type of sounds you're after.

4. jtindle

jtindle Member

I use a Les Paul mostly into a Vox AC30 but have another EL84 based combo coming from Woodcross amps. It has a Marshall and a Vox vibe to it.

The singing lead tone would be a smooth sustaining lead, not harsh at all.

Thanks

Jeff

5. drolling

drolling Member

I've got an AC-15 that's been quite difficult to match pedals to, but I'm also using single coils, so my results would be very different from yours.

I've also got a Timmy coming in any day now, but I'm thinking I'll be using it w/fender amps.

And yes, the Zendrive is a very, very smooth sounding pedal, even w/my twangiest tele.

6. jtindle

jtindle Member

SO a Zendrive and a TIMMY wouldn't be redundant? I don't want 2 similar sounding pedals unless I can get a good higher gain lead tone when stacked.

Thanks

Jeff

7. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

I have a feeling you're going to like the Timmy even more with your Vox than with your Fender?. That is 'cause I think the Timmy and the TIM are magic with middy EL84 amps. Of course it works with Fenders too.

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I have a ZD and although I don't have a timmy yet I have heard enough clips to tell you that they are a good (and popular) combination. The Timmy is more transparent than the Zen and has a gritty open sounding OD. The Zen is thicker and has a smooth purring OD sound. Its a perfect match from what I can tell. Right now the closest I pedal I have to the timmy is the Barber Silver LTD (another lo-med gain OD). When I stack the Zen with the LTD (both set for med drive) I get liquid singing sustain and still retain some attack and dynamics unlike most other pedal stacks I've tried which become unusable mush.

9. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

Is the Zen or a Timmy a better match with a Keeley TS9?