Overdrive and Volume issues

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by judsonabts, Sep 2, 2008.

1. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

I want to be able to have the sound of a pushed amp without too much of a volume boost...

I have the ZVex Super Duper 2 in 1.. its great, but really only great when its cranked and well, I can't go back to clean and keep my volume at the same level...

Any thoughts on an overdrive that can put a bit more "chimey grit" without a massive increase in volume?

true bypass a must!

thanks

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Sounds like you need an attenuator.

3. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

what will that do?

i'm just trying to plug in my efex and use them correctly and not have a massive boost in volume to use my overdrive/clean boosts...

4. d-b

d-b Member

attenuators let you crank the amp to the sweet spot but hear it at lower volumes. The attenuator goes between the amp and the speaker and uses magical voodoo that only Gandolf, Yoda and engineers understand.

Now for your next question...check out THD Hotplate and Ultimate Attenuator

I have only used the Hotplate and it does the job but with some tone change. After some amp eq and playing with its own tone controls you get pretty dang close.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

The 2 in 1 (unless I'm mistaken) is two SHO's together right?
    SHO is more of a boost pedal which will always boost volume when set to do anything.

I think you just want an OD, like an OCD, or a Timmy, or Zendrive, or even Bad Monkey?

6. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

i think a boost works much better when volume on an amp is already up, so it just pushes into overdrive...

i'm playing an ac30 on "1" because its way too loud... so i need to really replace the amp... but i do think a proper overdrive will help