Overdrive/Boost for Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 85db, Aug 20, 2005.

1. 85db

85db Member

What overdrives/boosters do you use with your Deluxe Reverb?

What I have in my mind is Gilmouresque type of overdrive, not over the top and not muddy, perhaps with some natural compression. Or perhaps somebody figured out a combination of compressor and overdrive that work well with a Deluxe? Would love to hear your opinions!

2. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

1. Original Marshall Blues Breaker - works great to add mids, smooth out the top and tighten the bottom. The best pedal I've played into my BFDR.

2. Original SansAmp - I like the Marshall better, but it's close.

Add a compressor to smooth it out even more and that will give you that Gilmour sustain.

I'd consider a different speaker SERIOUSLY as well. You won't get to where you want to go with only a pedal. My fav is the Eminence Texas Heat.

3. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Hey Rich did you get the Comp-Retro??How do you like it??

4. 85db

85db Member

Marshall stuff w/ Fender amp? I actually love Marshall pedal, amazing bang for the buck. I own a few of them but not the BB. Is Bluesbreaker II not gonna do the trick? Any particular compressor that works well with BB and Deluxe?

5. fast ricky love

I did Shane, I like it a lot. I only played it one night with my Bruno, which really isn't the amp I got it for. I want it for my BFDR, so I haven't tried that combo yet, but like you said, it doesn't kill picking dynamics at all and the highs are fairly well retained - thanks! :) A tone knob would really be sweet on it, but nothing you can't tweek elsewhere...

And 85db, you want the ORIGINAL Blues Breaker. No doubt, you won't regret it - I went thru EVERY boutique pedal looking for the right one with that amp and the Marshall was king. One man's opinion of course! :D I just found it was the only pedal that took away the brittleness, retained the bass - in fact tightened it a bit, and gave the notes GIRTH. It's not a high gain pedal so it is a nice complement. Again, just my 2 pesos!

6. fast ricky love

Sorry, forgot to ask what speaker do you have in your DR?

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

I use a ZVex SHO or a Pharoah Class A Boost and Analog Man modded Boss DS1/808. A very popular choice is the Fulldrive 2 which I used for years!

8. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Crowther Hot Cake.

My "go-to" pedal. :dude

9. 85db

85db Member

Still have the originals in them. Just ordered Cannabis Rex and Weber 12F150. Any other suggestions? I might even use two different speakers for this stereo setup...

I might be limited in my choices of speakers because this set up is intended for the clean tone mostly. What I'm doing is pushing the envelope trying to make it more versatile. Would be nice to be able to get good mild overdrive out of it without loosing the cleans.

10. fast ricky love

I think you have 2 real good speakers coming to try out. The Weber is a much better take on the 'stock' DR speaker, so if you want authenticity, that is the choice. If you want something that takes the Weber tone and smoothes it out a bit and adds some bass, the Swamp Thang is excellent.

I haven't played the Cannibus R, but it sounds like a great speaker to smooth out the raspy rough edges a DR can have. I went with a Texas Heat and am really thrilled with the way the amp sounds now, I think it might have more of a mid push than the Cannibus.

11. royd

royd Member

the traditional answer is some TS type of OD with a Fender amp.

12. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Rich I just picked a brand new Keeley with the Internal attack. I had a keeley compressor before but it was the old one without the attack, and you would not believe the difference.. It sounds a lot like the Comp-Retro, it's almost like Keeley took some pointers from Homebrew.. I like the version of the Keeley compressor, it's way more transparent,but A\B'd it with the CPR, and the CPR is still king but the Keeley is getting there. I called Keeley and told him about this, and they said that they are improving this Compressor all the time, and thats why it sounds better..

13. fast ricky love

Interesting Shane, I spent some time today with the Homebrew to dial it in. I didn't like setting the level too high as it made things too bright in a hurry... I found keeping both knobs at @ 10:30ish was optimal, maybe the sustain a touch higher. But the settings I fine-tune at home always seem to go out the window once I'm playing loud with the band, so who knows! Where do you have yours set? What I did like about the Keeley was the quality of sustain/feedback it would provide, if the new one does that with more picking dynamics, it sounds like it'd be pretty sweet. Let me know if you're gonna give it up... - R

14. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I've been setting mine at around 12:00 oclock on both the sustain and volume with the CPR.. I played last night at full volume with the band and used the keeley, it seemed really transparent, but when I kick on the CPR it almost as if it's not on, and thats what I like... I'm liking this Keeley a lot though. Looks like I'm going to be using both compressors for now.

15. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

i've been using an old dan armstong orange squeezer compressor & an xotic ac booster with my deluxe reverb and i'm liking that combo a lot.

16. fatback

fatback Member

There are so many o.d. pedals that work well with a Deluxe Reverb. Here are a few of my favorites:

J.t. Pedals, Valve Boy (dual tubes)-singing to screaming / nice feel from the tube compression / rich and responsive tone.
    :AOK

Chandler, Tube Driver (single tube)- a rawer, throaty vocal tone, ( more Janice than Aretha)

Both of these are capable of slightly compressed singing leads like you described. A boost before the od, (I like a COT50 at min. setting) can tighten and thicken things up a bit more.

M.I. Audio, Tube Zone, -very vesatile and great feel. It can works great with the amp set clean and with EL-84 and 6L6 amps.

Check out these clips Brett Garsed made using a Tube Zone and a Deluxe, miked with a sm57.
    http://www.miaudio.com/Brett.htm

M.I Audio, Blues Pro, - nice, fat, and refined 8-0-greatness.

Paul C., Timmy. Great for taking a grinding Deluxe over the edge while keeping nice definition.

BJF, SBeq. This is a very versatile pedal. Playing a strat through my Deluxe on 7, the SBeq lets me dial in sparkle and chew to taste without changing the amps od character. It also has plenty of clean gain that can really goose the front end of an amp.

17. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

+1 on the 90s Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal. I have one you couldn't pry from my cold dead hands and I just bought another one out of France as a backup.

I also really like a TS type pedal with a BF Fender amp. I'm currently diggin' the Sparkle Drive.

18. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Turn your deluxe up to 5-6 if you can for natural compression. Gilmour was known to use a Big Muff and/or a Rat for leads (think Comfortably Numb) before Cornish built him his personal take on the muff (the P2 I believe). For low gain OD I would look into the Barber LTD, Timmy, or a Zendrive. For a thicker singing med gain OD look for any of the TS variants, or a mosferatu. Lots of good stuff out there these days.

19. madsr

madsr Member

zvex SHO clean boost
    xotic AC Boost mild OD or EMMA reezfrata... for a little more gain all sound great thru a deluxe reverb