Overdrive/boost similar to full size Spark Booster?

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
I’m really liking using the full size Spark Booster for a solo boost. Are there any other similar boost/overdrive pedals? Must have both gain and volume controls. Also must have at least Treble and Bass knobs. (Not interested in pedals with only a tone control).

ross1shark

Silver Supporting Member
I’m really liking using the full size Spark Booster for a solo boost. Are there any other similar boost/overdrive pedals? Must have both gain and volume controls. Also must have at least Treble and Bass knobs. (Not interested in pedals with only a tone control).
The full size TC Spark is one of my all-time favorite pedals (I have 3). It excels at many things. I love it as an always-on thickener, especially with single coils, and running one Spark into another can yield some cool results. (I know of a bassist who uses two Sparks chained together as a bass overdrive.) I'm curious as to what people are going to add in the thread. That pedal serves me so well in so many different scenarios that I'd be surprised to find a similar tool that I would like equally as much.

Brutus

Not sure you’re going to do better than the Spark. When I got that it was game over. For the money it’s a great deal. If you need more, for that price I’d just buy another.

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
I should mention I also have an RC Booster V2. Great pedal as well. To my ears it sounds cleaner/less character than the Spark. I‘m looking for a pedal that I can use as a solo boost- with the two foot switches next to each other the RC is a little awkward to hit on and off a lot throughout a gig.

ross1shark

Silver Supporting Member
I should have added in my original answer, both the Mooer Pure Boost (clean boost) and Flex Boost fit the description well. Even in mini size, they each have controls for gain, volume, bass, and treble. The Pure Boost is similar to the Spark, while the Flex Boost is gritty and is much more of a dirty boost/saturated overdrive. (But neither has that toggle switch on the Spark that makes the Spark so versatile.)

Reactions: BMX

ross1shark

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure you’re going to do better than the Spark. When I got that it was game over. For the money it’s a great deal. If you need more, for that price I’d just buy another.
It was exactly the same way for me - as soon as I tried it, I felt like "This is IT!" And you're right about the price, too. I paid just under $100 for my first one, and when I was sure I wanted a second one, Sweetwater put 'em on sale for $49 each, so instead of one I bought two more. I see them on sale for $50-75 a lot, used. Worth every penny.

Last edited:

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
Good question. I think I’m just looking to try different variations- different eq frequency emphases, different clipping. Maybe see if there’s one with a mids knob.

Why are you looking to replace the Spark if it’s working for you?

fuzz guy

Well there's modern versions of the Colorsound Power Booster that have the extra Level knob, I've got a copy that I built and it's a great pedal.

The only other one that comes to mind and hasn't been mentioned is the BCC TI Boost, which I unfortunately don't own as it's just too expensive. It seems somewhat similar to the Spark which I think Tony was endorsing prior to this signature pedal being released.

Good question. I think I’m just looking to try different variations- different eq frequency emphases, different clipping. Maybe see if there’s one with a mids knob.
Wouldn't the mid position and rolling back lows and highs push the mids enough for you?

If you like the Spark for the pushed mids, the Timmy isn’t exactly going to get you there. That said, I really love the Timmy.

Maguchi

The TC Electronic VPD-1 Vintage Pre-Drive might fit the bill. It has "top boost" and "mid boost." They stopped makin' them, but I still see them quite a bit for good prices on the used market. I have the full size Spark Boost too, and the VPD-1 is a great sounding pedal, a little different than, but along the same lines as the Spark.
20201010_213118.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom