Overdrive/boost similar to full size Spark Booster?

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, I can definitely get enough mids with the Spark, I think I'm more looking for options that push different mid frequencies. Kind of like a Fender Engager where you can target 400 or 800.

Wouldn't the mid position and rolling back lows and highs push the mids enough for you?

Good Grief

Honestly OP I think you're overthinking this to a great degree. The Spark boost is the most versatile boost pedal I've ever seen with the B/T controls, gain, switchable mid toggle. I don't know anything else like it. Trying to go even one step further is probably overkill. But good luck. Here's the closest thing I can think of but again, I think the Spark is great as is.

Alpione

Silver Supporting Member
If you like the Spark for the pushed mids, the Timmy isn’t exactly going to get you there. That said, I really love the Timmy.

Not sure I'd agree. Using it the way Paul C. recommended, which is starting with dialing both bass and treble all the way out, will give you quite a mid boost. You add treble and bass back in to taste. Couple that with the two more compressed modes, which both have more mids than the more "open" mode, and you've got a lot of midrange adjustment there.

AStrangeDay

Honestly OP I think you're overthinking this to a great degree. The Spark boost is the most versatile boost pedal I've ever seen with the B/T controls, gain, switchable mid toggle. I don't know anything else like it. Trying to go even one step further is probably overkill. But good luck. Here's the closest thing I can think of but again, I think the Spark is great as is.

I agree with everything you said about the Spark. It's a modern Classic and highly underrated because It's cheap. I was also looking for an "expensive, boutique, handmade" boost pedal but i couldn't find something so flexible and on point like the Spark.

old crow

Mosky gold horse. I think as the gain is turned up past 9:00
It starts adding Mids around 1k.
Cheap and small.

CarlGuitarist

Check out the Mad Professor Royal Blue overdrive. It’s a killer overdrive with bass and treble controls. Plus it’s fantastic as a boost with gain low and level high. Best placed before buffers, very dynamic pedal!

GasBubble

Steel park gives 30db boost
Volume and drive
Treble and bass
Plus a 3 way switch
(Upper mid boost, lower mid boost, flat boost)
Goes from clean to the other side of overdrive, I like it.
43EB7275-2CEA-4CE0-A844-8BD5D126AA9E.jpeg

blujosh

i have the full sized Spark and agree it's one of the most useful and flexible pedals i own. i've been using one to give tone and gain controls to a small 5W tube amp that only has a volume knob (Epi Valve Jr). it also works well following drive and fuzz pedals when using a really clean amp/channel for tone shaping and providing some warmth/compression.

i've never owned one, but a Barber Barb EQ (discontinued) might be an interesting alternative as far as tone shaping goes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom