Overdrive choice: Southland, Sick As, Moonshine or Fulldrive 3

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gurutoro, Jan 13, 2015.

1. gurutoro

gurutoro Member

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide which pedal can fit better my pedalboard. What I'm looking for is a good clear but more than low drive pedal that can be turned on to give power to a song and in some parts boosted for solos. For that boost part I own a Nova Drive. Fulldrive3 has the boost by itself.

Options:
    1. Bondi Effects Sick As Overdrive
    2. Greer Amps Southland Overdrive
    3. JHS Moonshine
    4. Fulltone Fulldrive 3

So.. isn't an easy choice because of the big difference between this pedal, I choose them because I really like the sound of all of them. I can't try them in a music store and that's why I'm trying to get advises in this forum.

My signal chain:

TC Electronic Polytune>Earthquaker Devices Arrows>Earthquaker devices Hoof>TC Electronic Nova Drive>TC Electronic Flashback Delay.

2. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

Bump. Interested in feedback to OP's comparo question.

3. indyrunner03

indyrunner03 Member

I apologize for not having had experience with all of these. However, I really like the Southland. I bought a Lightspeed first but wanted something similar with more gain on tap so I got the Southland from Prymaxe. It has quickly become my favorite OD pedal (especially when stacked with the Lightspeed).

I hope that someone can chime in that has had experience with more than one of your options to give you better information, though.

4. gurutoro

gurutoro Member

Thanks for the information! Lets see if someone had tried some others. What you say about the Southland is a shared opinion around the internet, this makes me think that it really is a great pedal. I'm a kind of difficult person when I'm taking this kind of choices because isn't easy to buy a pedal from my country, then I have to take the best decision!

5. slowth

slowth Member

I can say for the first 2. Either of those will probably do the job well.

I think the SL is abit more rough around the edges, has that rawness that I rarely like in other pedals but I do in this. The SA like other Klones I liked as a boost rather than to provide sheer power.

What I really like bout the Greer pedals is how the tone knob has great tones all the way on the knob; it's like I can't find my fave tone spot coz they all sound that good.

So might depend how you want to utilize in conjunction with your other drives.

Having said that, the LS and SL are still on my board.

6. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

How about a Bogner Blue?

7. gurutoro

gurutoro Member

Ok, that's a new point out there.. SA more like a boost than a sheer power.

My Rig:

Fender Stratocaster American Standard - VOX AC15C1

What I use to do with this setup is to set the amp at the edge from clear to breakup, this allows me to play clean sounds without saturation. What I want is to drive more that sound.. lets say for a Chorus part.. and then make a lead sound for solos. My only weapon is the Nova Drive, maybe using the Distortion channel I can boost the drive signal to the top for solos.

With this on mind. What's your advice?

(Sorry if there's some errors in the redaction, I'm not very good writing in English but I read it very well)

8. gurutoro

gurutoro Member

Too expensive. I don't want to expend more than 200$. But thanks for the suggestion.

9. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I'd recommend the Rockett Archer. It has alot of sounds inside. I just had JHS mod mine (the "Katniss Mod"), and it can get pretty raunchy now. But I think you're describing the Archer to a T. The MI Audio Blues Pro is nice to do what you're wanting, as well as the Timmy, but both ride in the upper mids range vs. the Archer which will give you more girth.

Good luck with your search.

10. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

any more thoughts on Southland vs Sick As?

11. guitar29

guitar29 Supporting Member

I've owned all the pedals on your list and to my ears, the Moonshine is the clear winner. Tone is very subjective, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt. I currently own 40 dirt pedals and have owned many more so I'd like to think I've learned a thing or two over the years. Good luck!

12. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

Really depends on the rig. I found the Southland too too scooped for my taste. If you want to stand out, it's the Sick As for sure.

Between the Sick As and Moonshine is a closer battle if you want haunting mids.

13. pinkfuzz65

pinkfuzz65 Supporting Member

I have a sick as a Southland and a relic drive. The sick as has more control with the tone knobs and works well as a booster pedal. Can go from transparent klon type sounds to even TS territory. The Southland sounds great by itself and as others have posted above it really has a lot of ground on the tone knob. It has its own mojo and really has a beautiful deep tone with rich harmonics to it that is unlike the other two. The relic drive is also a great pedal that you should check out. A lot less shrill than a TS and less middy and stack really well with my Sick As. I prefer it out all of them followed by the SL.Can't go wrong with either.

14. charley

charley Supporting Member

I have a FD3......I know, not boutique enough(anymore), but I got one. I needed a double OD to save space on my board.

Honestly, I am surprised at how much I love the FD3. The independent (and fx-order-switchable) boost is just awesome. The OD side is great too.

I have many OD pedals, and tend to gravitate towards the "more of your tone" type pedals as opposed to the very "colored" ODs. The Paul C Tim is the gold standard for me. However, I am just loving the FD3. I originally wanted to stack a Timmy>HBOD, but didn't have the space. I was sure I would be disappointed in the FD3, but it ended up being great. Versatile, pleasant, and can get really rude. Paired with a subtle trem, you can get a lush OD that is out of this world!

I do not have experiences with the other pedals, but I believe that every one of your choices are quality products....you won't get a bad sound out of any of them....you just have to know what you want.

15. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

The SA is super versatile with it's EQ and clipping mode switch...lots of gain range...clean boost up to medium OD...

The FD3 is cool with the separate boost ch...might allow you to add an extra pedal if you're using a boost already on your board...it depends if you like the flavor of the OD CH(basically a flat mid TS)...

I would suggest a TIM...gives you 2 sounds(boost isn't separate)...super versatile...

The Moonshine is basically a modded TS style...cool pedal but pretty colored(not a bad thing)...again, it would depend on if you dig it's flavor...

Never tried those Greers but he makes great stuff...

16. Melange

Melange Member

As usual, somebody asks for the best out of 5 choices and every now and them somebody comes with recommending a fifth one :) . To keep on with the tradition, check out Moog's MF Drive

17. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

I reanimated this thread wanting to know more about the Southland in particular, curious if anyone has compared it to the Rivera Blues Shaman...

18. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

I have a Moonshine. Desperately want to get a Southland.

19. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have owned all of them except the Moonshine (I don't any of them currently, so my vote is none of the above), but I am here to comment on the Southland. I am a fan of Nick Greer's stuff and have owned a bunch of his pedals. I owned the Lightspeed, and I really wanted to like the Southland. I also found it too scooped in a band mix. It sounded killer at home by myself, but as soon as I took it to a rehearsal, it disappeared in the mix. I went back to a Rat-based pedal for my distortion after that.

dickjonesify and guitar29 like this.