Overdrive + compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mrt, Mar 17, 2008.

1. mrt

mrt Member

does anyone use a compressor with your OD's? or for your OD's?

if so what does it do for you? and what compressor works well with a Crunh Box and a Keeley modded RAT.

Thanks

2. burner

burner Member

I use a compressor 100% of the time.....vintage Dyna Comp.
    The compressor is the first thing my guitar sees and then later on throught the chain, it hits the overdrive.
    I've not found a compressor I like better than my old Dyna Comp but I'm sure there are some really good ones out there...The Keeley is great!

3. mrt

mrt Member

I guess my question is what does a compressor do for the OD pedals?

4. wren

wren Member

Remember that technically, distortion is compression and compression is distortion.

As far as what a compressor does to an overdrive, that depends on where you place it. When it's before the overdrive, you can use it to even out the dirt by controlling the dynamics of how hard you hit the overdrive. Typically (without a compressor), the harder you hit the strings the greater the output, and the greater the output going into the overdrive the more the overdrive distorts. When you have a compressor before the overdrive, you can use it to even the drive out by evening your signal out: if the signal you send into the overdrive is stripped of dynamics (evened out by the compressor), the overdrive won't react to your picking dynamics as much, or at all (depending on how you set the compressor). As far as a compressor after the overdrive...it won't really do that much. Technically, an overdrive compresses (evens the volume of) the signal to an extent, so adding a compressor after overdrive wouldn't do that much, I don't think, unless you were running the overdrive into another dirt pedal.

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

I use a BJF Pine Green Comp. to drive a Landgraff MO'D (Rat) which is in turn boosted by a Klon...

what does this do...it allows me to set the MO'D for an artiulate low gain tone and then kick in the PGC set with a high comp./more bass setting and get liquid...fat higher gain tones which in turn can be boosted by the Klon when needed...this setup is very touch senstive and interactive...it also feeds back at very low volumns and cleans up by reducing the guitars volumn...hitting the Klon with the PGC is also cool as it smoothes things out and adds great sustain to the Klon which I usually set from low gain to clean boost...

expensive yes but this setup reacts to my playing and gives me all the shadings I could ever need/want without having to own 3 or 4 different drive boxes...

Chow,
    Seegs

6. burner

burner Member

Honestly, I don't know that it does anything to Overdrive.
    I just use the compressor to pull out some extra 'snap' from my Stratocasters.Used at a very low setting, it acts as a 'guitar enhancer' and just brings a little extra life to it.
    Just as a quick example....
    If you think of the Strat's #2 position sound, it really enhances something like that and adds a little more quack.
    Basically I set up the comp and then build my whole sound around that.
    It can be used at higher settings to give a really squashed sound for an Andy Summers type thing if you are going to use it for more 'effect'.
    The way I set mine, it really helps smooth out clean rhythm sounds and helps clean up any slop in my fingerpicking.

7. Jam119

Jam119 Member

My tone press set to the magic dust setting (Lite compression) before my OD's feels great to add a bit of squeeze to a note... A good friend of mine runs an analogman BiComp after his OD and betweeen the the Ross and Orange Squeeze comps - gets some really great tones that way too...

8. HBob

HBob Member

I have a Homebrew Electronics CPR compressor and usually run a dirt pedal before it ( Timmy, HBE Big D, Frantone Hep Cat ) and several dirt boxes after it. I set the compression to fairly mild. It's a great addition to the dirt pedals, usually. Some stacks get too noisy. It seems to work best with low to med drive boxes - not the high gain stuff. The CPR is very quiet. It works better for stacking than my other compressors.

9. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

good question, i know i've seen the two combined and never heard why, in one of the electro harmonix pedals, i think tech21 has one w/ both, and someone makes a comptortion or something too...

i use a soul preacher always, thinking about upgrading that to a black finger or tc

10. giggedy

giggedy Member

I put my comp after dirt. I can adjust the gain of the od without losing volume. It allows me to really clean up what I'm doing without a the volume drop.

11. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

On his web site, Robert Keeley first recommends placing compressors in front of OD pedals, and then immediately afterwards says:

"...I like them after distortion pedals in many cases if the compressor is clean and transparent enough. Compression after distortion has two effects that I really like. First, the noise floor is lower because the noise from a compressor isn't being amplified and distorted by the overdrive pedal. Second, there appears to be more sustain. There is one draw back that some people notice and that is a darker, warmer tone. Some folks might prefer a more conventional, brighter tone."

After reading that a few years back I placed my compressor after the dirt and found I like it there better.

12. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i have a comp always on and i'm not sure if i've noticed a huge difference before or after my OD's. i felt like there was MORE noice when i ran the comp after my dirt pedals, but that may just be my pedal line-up. so, right now what's working for me is the comp (which has a buffer) after my Beano Boost, but before the rest of my OD pedals...

13. jayn

jayn Member

I run a Diamond Comp into my OD pedals (which vary depending on mood from Boss to boutique). I set the Comp to just a hair above unity and to fatten the guitar up a touch, with a bit of compression, but not so much that it kills the dynamics. I tend to use lower gain settings on the OD pedals and it gives me an articulate boost with a touch of dirt, then, hitting the compressor, gives a little more oomph and more smooth sustaining lead tones. Works great for my set-up.

14. sgs

sgs Member

I use my compressor (tone press) after the overdrive. It doesn't change the sound of my overdrive this way, just adds a bit more sustain. I also use the volume knob on my guitar to dial in more or less grit, so putting the comp first would defeat this purpose. I also jack the volume up on the compressor so it acts as a volume boost as well as adding sustain....

15. alivegy

alivegy Member

I have found that I like a compressor before an overdrive but after a distortion. Distorting a compressed signal takes a lot of life and dynamics out of the distortion, but hitting an overdrive like a ts9 with a compressor signal seems to emphasize everything I like about my overdrives.

16. mrt

mrt Member

Thanks Guys, Very helpful! :AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK