Overdrive / Distorion and Delay in One Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wayne, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Wayne

Wayne Member

I'm sure this is a niche request but here goes.

I like a real simple setup when I play and for many gigs I just plug my Hamer Artist Custom guitar into my custom-created Deluxe Reverb.

I've bought and sold lots of pedals and multi FX boxes. It often seems like more trouble than it is worth to plug in wall warts and a couple of pedals, plus you can get ground loop problems. Even a couple of battery operated pedals annoys me. Weird, eh?

I've found though that I am fine with having just one, battery operated pedal between my guitar and amp and I've been using the Danelectro Rock-A-Bye because I can get distortion and delay with a single stomp of my foot. The distortion is decent and the delay is very good. I don't change a single setting during a 4 hour gig: just simulataneusly stomp the two switches on or off for lead or rhythm.

My question is this:

Does anyone else make a one pedal, battery operated distortion and delay pedal?

My goal would be to find a pedal with a higher quality, boutique-esque distortion with delay.

Thanks,

Wayne

2. Gibsonchild

Gibsonchild Member

I don't know of any offhand. You could find a separate dirt box and delay you really like, and have them reboxed into one unit. That way, you could get the exact sound you want. You wouldn't have to settle for an "ok" dist or an "ok" delay.

3. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I believe Ibanez used to make one. Don't recall the model though.

David

4. Wayne

Wayne Member

Hmm, I hadn't thought of this one. It's got a ton of features in a one pedal format and the sounds are pretty good. Almost fits the bill except that it won't run on a battery. Thanks.

5. Wayne

Wayne Member

Why, that's an interesting idea. I'll have to chew on this!

6. threm

threm Member

Deluxe Memory Man

just kiddin` :moon

7. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

Check out one of the Ibanez UE series pedals. I had a UE 305, which had chorus - delay - compressor. They also had another one with three effects, (comp - chorus - OD, I believe). The delay is basically an AD-9, the chorus a CS-9, the comp is a CP-9, and the OD is basically a TS. They plug straight into the wall, and are not big tone-suckers. There are stereo outs for the chorus delay. Built-in effects loop also. They usually sell in the $160-$200 range (last time I checked). Each effect has its own stomp switch, and there is a master switch for turning on more than one effect at a time. There is also a UE 400 series (UE 400 and UE 405 I think) which are rack-mount units with 4 effects each. There is even a UE 300 series pedal made for bass!

The bad news is I don't think they made one with delay and OD in the same box, but I might be mistaken about that (it is worth checking out)

For a simple set-up, these pedals are hard to beat. I used a UE-305 for 10 years as my only pedal (until I started hanging out around here, and then madness ensued!).

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

www.dreamtonefx.com

He is building me an overdrive/distortion/fuzz unit and said he could put a delay or chorus in there too. It would be a custom job though so it may take a while.

9. carltonh

carltonh Member

You might check out www.indyguitarist.com to see if he could mod your Danelectro to have a better overdrive/distortion sound. Unlike Keeley and Analogman, he doesn't just specialize in a few mods but has lots of them.

10. drolling

drolling Member

I've heard you can get real nice overdrive out of the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo. But it's big, expensive and runs on AC power. I'd love to have one, tho..

11. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

either the SS-10 or SS-20. One was dirt+chorus, the other dirt+delay. Fun in a feedback loop, but I wouldn't want one in the main part of my rig.