Overdrive/Distortion Choice

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Leb, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Leb

Leb Member

Hey tgp guys,
    I currently own a SD1 and a Jekl & Hyde pedal.
    Rcently read so much about the many diff distortion/overdrive pedals available.

1) Tim
    2) Zendrive
    3) Fulltone OCD
    4) Mi Audio Tube Zone
    5) Barber Direct Drive
    6) Eternity

Which one will u recommend me to get? Eternity may be too expensive for a single pedal. :D Ur inputs are valuable thanks

2. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to TGP! If you want useable input from members, it helps to give some background info about the sound you're looking for, type of music you play and the gear you are playing through currently.

All of the od's you listed are excellent, as are many that are popular around here. I am constantly trying new od's and I am currently digging the MI Audio Blues Boy Deluxe. I also like the Eternity, COT50, OCD, MJM Blues Devil, Gainster, etc. I'm mostly a blues player playing through Fender-type amps though.

3. enickma

enickma Member

The Eternity is worth every penny

4. Leb

Leb Member

Currently i am looking at a pedal tt is much better in high gain cause to me the J&H distortion juz doesnt sound great to me.

FOr the SD-1 i actually use it as a very mild overdrive, and it sounds fantastic. But hearing the rave of the some many other overdrive pedals,
    i wanna try if the others are better, like the TIM or the Zen etc.

I play most of the time in Church and do songs like Hillsongs, Planet Shakers, Lincoln Brewster etc...

DO drop ur inputs thanks.

5. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Of the pedals you've listed I've only had experience with the Tim, Zendrive and OCD, of those I'd pick the OCD. The Proco Rat is my favorite pedal but not the kind of pedal a good god fearin' man would play in church.:Devil

6. Leb

Leb Member

Ur OCD is used for more distortion? or overdrive?
    Does the tim and the zen do good mild or medium overdrive?

leb

7. mhenson42

mhenson42 Supporting Member

Check out a Digitech Bad Monkey. For a $40 pedal they kick ass. Seriously. :AOK

8. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Crunch Box or Tube Zone.
    MI Audio pedals kick.

9. enickma

enickma Member

I play my Keeley modded Rat in church all the time ... it puts the fear of God in the congregation ! :angel

10. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Eternity or Tim...Eternity is worth every penny. I tried one out at my local "boutique" shop in Toronto...it was going for $450 CDN!!!...I almost bought it...Then I came home and ordered one, now I just have to wait. Still waiting on the Tim too, but also got to try it out at a guitar show.

11. drolling

drolling Member

You've obviously done your homework, Leb, as you really couldn't go wrong w/any of the pedals on your list..

But the Cochrane (Tim), Ibrahim (MI Audio) and Barber stuff is really just about as good as it gets in the realm of hand-built, *boutique* quality gear at mass-produced, made-in-China prices.

On the other hand, if money's no object, you'll be able to cover an awful lot of territory w/an Eternity..

12. what?

what? Member

Funny that you use SD-1 and J&H and play in church...that sounds like my friend in a parallel universe!:)

Anyway, my friend's church is also playing those songs and out of all 30 or so dirt boxes that I've got, my friend loves the mosferatu most, and the keeley RAT.

what guitar/amp do you use?my friend's set-up is strat-maple fingerboard-->pedals-->Peavey classic 50 4x10

13. Leb

Leb Member

Haha whats funny abt me using those pedals? dun quite get u there haha

whats the diff between mosferatu and zendrvie?

I am suing marshall avt 150 amp yea not as good as a tube :p

Leb

14. what?

what? Member

No it's just that my friend is using the exact same pedals as you and play in church as well :)

the mosferatu is hotter than the zendrive, but other than that I found them to be quite similar. I haven't got much time with the zendrive though, just played it for a couple of mins. It was my friend's..

Actually I like the AVT150 better than the JCM 900 4100 that I used to have. I used the AVT150 once in a gig using just a wah pedal, getting all the distorted sound from the amp.

15. Leb

Leb Member

Haha oh what a coincidence :p
    So is he digging those 2 pedals?
    I like the J&h pedal for its overdrive, very fat sounding,
    does any of those pedals mention above can sound as good or better?
    I only recently just switch to analog pedals haha :p

Leb

16. what?

what? Member

He just used the SD-1 recently and he loves the smooth OD he could get from it. For me pesonally they have too much mids, but the distortion side of the J&H is excellent!they can easilly be a go-to box for me on gigs..

The mosferatu is best used with your guitar volume knob as it is very sensitive, cleans up very2 nicely with vol. It can be smooth or rough according to the voice knob, very2 versatile, not realy good for high gain IMHO, as someone mentioned before, it sounds like your clean sound bleeds through the distorted sound. Medium crunch sounds very articulate and clear. The mos is not a TS style pedal, so it doesn't have that mids found in other pedals, it sounds and feels very natural.

17. oxtone

oxtone Member

Zendrive - best distortion pedal I've used in 35 years of playing. I used it at church a couple weeks ago, and everyone in the band LOVED it!

18. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey Leb. I use an AVT275 and, combined with my pedals, I constantly get compliments from guitarists of all stripes (even some professionals!) on the tone I get. None of them can believe I am getting that sound outta a solid state amp.

I should add I only use it on the clean channel.....

19. Leb

Leb Member

Sounds like i should invest in a zendrvie or a mosferatu for the use of distortion rite?

Wow tt nice hearing tt u can get awesome tone out of a solid state amp.
    Did u mic up or emulate line out to PA? FOr me i emulate line out ..

Leb

20. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The soundguy sticks a mic up to one of the speakers , and that's it. My EQ pedal is the real secret weapon ;)