Overdrive/ Distortion Order

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rolando13, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Rolando13

Rolando13 Member

I've always wondered in what order overdrive pedals should go in? Heaviest to lightest or lightest to heaviest. Can someone enlighten me with their knowledge please?

2. The_Wretched

The_Wretched Supporting Member

my understanding and experience:

lighest into darkest when stacking increase the gain.

heaviest to lightest (no stacking) gives better sustain. heavier gain towards the beginning of the chair equals longer sustain.

3. dreadheadhaha

dreadheadhaha Member

It's all about personal preference. I found that I liked heaver going into lighter. I don't have multiple OD anymore but the logic still applies with fuzz face -> klone -> boost.

Don't fear experimentation. :)

4. Release

Release Member

I like lightest going into heaviest. If I go the other way around in my rig, it seems that it mellows out the higher gain pedals too much. By going light to heavy, I can stack them more to my liking and push everything a bit harder.

5. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

I prefer low gain into a higher gain when it comes to overdrives or overdrives into distortions. However, if you are using a fuzz pedal, I prefer the fuzz first then into overdrive.

6. Skykrab

Skykrab Member

Depends on each pedal used... for me:
    TS808HW->Riot->Shiba->HT Distortion->KOT v.4 Hi Gain... I would agree on putting fuzz 1st since it reacts radically with input gain...