1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Overdrive families

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by alanfc, Jun 29, 2006.

1. alanfc

alanfc Member

hi,
    so I've started using my Bd2 blues driver instead of the Maxon OD9 or Bad Monkey. For my rig I guess its the right thing, a fairly dark, low-middy Rivera.
    So is the BD-2 in the same family tech-wise as the Sd-1/OD-3's of the world? In my limited knowledge I think there's 2 basic families, the TubeScreamer model and the Boss Sd-1 type model.
    I'm probabaly wayy offf... anyway I think I like the BD-2/Boss treatment alot.

1) are there more families/lineages to consider?

2)If the Boss type is my thing , for future booteeky type purchases what do you think would turn me on?

I like OD's now.. sort of acting like a compressor with some grit to it.
    My amp is not going anywhere, its a workhorse Ford truck type thing.

Thanks

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I HIGHLY recommend you trying a Fulltone OCD, and a Menatone King of the Britians!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are really in a different leaugue than anything Boss makes,,,and I'm not a snob, just a realist....

3. AL30

AL30 Member

The Tubescreamer and Boss SD-1 are almost identical circuits. There are a few minor differences.

Families - most overdrive pedals are TS based. Some now are starting to be FET based.

Tubescreamer. Fuzz Face, RAT, Big Muff. MXR+. That should cover the majority of distortion/overdrive boxes on the market. Boutique included.

AL

4. erksin

erksin Member

It would be interesting to compile a list of the different 'families', IMO - I'm sure others will add their thoughts here...

TS-style
    Mosfet
    Treble Booster
    Colorsound-style
    Rat

etc, etc, etc...

5. el34power

el34power Member

Compared to the OD-9 and BD-2 I would say the sd-1 is in the middle...
    I think you would like the new Barber DD

6. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I guess if your just going with the core of the circuit you could create simple families but I think these things would be like anyones family tree, lots of branches.

TS types ( op amp with diode clipping in the FB loop )
    Dist+/Rat/ etc.. ( op amps with diode cliping to ground before the output)
    fuzzface/bigmuff/etc.. (multiple transistors being worked to death.)

Those are the big three. There are fet and mosfet based but I am not sure of who is making them right now. Fet based distortions/amp sims are big in the DIY community right now so I wouldn't be surprised to se Boutique versions out there.

Scott

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I wouldn't include the OD-3 in the same camp as the TS type ODs. It has more of an open, flatter EQ with higher treble and less compression.

I've never tried a BD-2, though I do have a BD-2 sim on my boss OD-20 which I assume is somewhat accurate. I find it useable, more useable than I've been led to believe about the BD-2 in general. Wouldn't know exactly where to classify it.

I'd stick the SD-1 into the TS camp. The SD-1 actually replaced the OD-1 (or OD-2) thanks to the TS craze in the 80s, but due to popular demand Boss reintroduced it.

I'd also include something like the TIM into the mix, as it is a completely different OD than most other types.

8. alanfc

alanfc Member

OK thanks I guess I'm confusing what I hear on clips
    And with my own tests

a. I think I hear a more vocal, clickety, talking type of tone when I hear SD-1 clips, or my own BD-2's. So the SD-1's relation to the TubeScreamer is stronger than I thought? Honestly I know nearly nothing but when I hear clips with TS vs. SD-1 they sound like differnt bloodlines altogether.

b. my OD9 and Bad Monkey are far too smooth for me, they sound muffled to me. I know this is rig related but yknow. I know the love for the TS type box IS the smoothness. I want chunky and vocal. I'm not actively shopping and I do love this Blues Driver (stock), but before I start half-looking/dreaming I wanted to know the family trees if there are any.

c. as for my comment about my OD's bonus value as a compressor of sorts. I really like this. My amp is so sensitive that its painful. This is my technique too, but an OD is great for me. I've tried compressors and they too are wayyy too smooth and get noisey when cranked.

Anyways thanks for the help so far its been enlightening:)

9. madsr

madsr Member

My bd-2 is modded by Robert Keeley.. it opens the pedal up and makes the pedal much more useable at any gain setting. It's not muddy at all with the mods and can get borderline fuzz sounds as well. I also use a Keeley modded ts-9.. which is a different animal alltogether.. it is a smooth od tone and gives you great sustain and adds that "boxy" sound in a good way..stacked for leads they are awesome together.

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I've been married 3 times...my tree has more trunks than branches

11. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I'd be perticularly interested in pedals based on the Rat. The Rat is often compared to the Distortion +, but it sounds nothing like it. I'd like to know which pedals were designed to be an enhancement, improvement, or draw inspiration from the Rat.

12. alanfc

alanfc Member

here's a small thing I found, go halfway down this page,
    he sorta lays out some types of pedals
    http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/ampovdrv.htm

Soft Clipping, +symmetrical, + asymmetrical
    Hard Clipping, +symmetrical

OK these terms are starting to ring a bell. On to Search TGP

13. Ned

Ned Member

The most basic way I characterize my overdrive pedals has to be in the amount of compression (open and raw to compressed) and the EQ of the mids (mid hump or flat).
    From there on you could just go crazy characterizing every minute detail!:jo

14. alanfc

alanfc Member

Yes thanks

I think once I find out what the BD-2's clipping action is, I'll be on my way

/edit/
    more terms:
    MOSFET-based overdrive
    diode-type transistor overdrive

15. Gil1

Gil1 Member

I was poking around with a similar question a while ago, as I first got into Pedals. What I gathered was you could devide it a few ways.

1. Type of circuit
    • Germanium or Silicon transistor or mix- Fuzz Style
    • Mosfet
    • Op-amp - Ts and others
    • Clipping diodes - Symetrical or Asymetrical
    • Tube
    and these things can be mixed together.

2. Low, med or high gain

3. By "history" or sound-type
    • Tubescreamer Offshoot
    • FuzzFace, Tonebender, Muff
    • Rat Offshoot

Some of this thinking could be off, but it helps me.

16. alanfc

alanfc Member

17. alanfc

alanfc Member

OK I'm back into this...

Even my beloved OD-9 (which I went back to) is starting to sound BOXY and nasal to me...
    Maybe the Tubescreamer lineage is not my thing.

Reading again and simplifiying what you all wrote above,
    I see that there's "flat" and "not flat".

I think I'm on the hunt for "flat" EQ. I want the pedal to add dirt. Not just a clean-ish boost.
    Maybe the MXR/Rat sort of thing? I'm sure there's good years and designs within these .

So how about: flat EQ (no humps or low cut), with a couple tone-shaping controls, and dirt.

Can you lead me in a direction, a circuit type...
    Anything boutique, or average joe, old or new

THanks

18. erksin

erksin Member

Tim/Timmy...

19. alanfc

alanfc Member

Yes I was afraid of this, based on what I've read lately.
    I may have to have one.:BITCH

20. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

I would also like to know.