1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Overdrive for bass

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cbpickin, Jul 11, 2006.

1. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The bass player in my band is looking for an overdrive pedal to run into his Ampeg SVT head. He is not much of a gearhead and I don't know much about bass pedals, so I'm reaching out to any GP bass players that can help out.
    He does want it to be TB, but other than the D*A*M Ezekiel or the Fulltone bass drive, I don't know what might me a good fit for him. And I don't know how good either of those is, since I've never played or heard them. He is looking for something compatible with blues, rock, funk; nothing too over the top. We rarely break out our speed metal anywhere except our rehearsal space.

Thanks!

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

bjf makes one ... i doubt it'll be anything short of awsome.

3. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I forgot about the BJF. Probably a pretty long wait on one of those though.
    And the RAT, I wouldn't have thought of that. He may have one in his closet from way back, he's also a guitar player.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep 'em coming.

4. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

probably ... but tonefactor has them in stock :)

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

your friend may be pleasantly surprised by a Boss ME-50B. Check one of those out!

6. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

Okko makes the Basstard, sound cool!

7. 6789

6789 Member

8. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I can tell you a bit based upon actual experience. My wife plays an EB Music Man bass. She has been using the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI to add a bit of grind to her sound. It works well until she plays in the upper registers, then it cleans up. She added a clean boost ahead of the Bass Driver to kick in when she wants a bit more grind.

Overall, the Bass Driver could be better. The distortion that it does produce is fairly limited even with the gain maxed out.

There's a new MXR pedal coming soon called the Blowtorch. The clips on the Jim Dunlop site sound promising.