Overdrive for chicken pickin'

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Casey S, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Casey S

Casey S Silver Supporting Member

I spent some time today at a local music shop trying out various pedal, and most of them had a common problem with my playing style. I play country, rock, americana music, and with most of the drives I tried the treble was ice picky when chicken pickin' on the higher strings.

I play through a reinhardt 18. I am looking for something that has a decent amount of drive, I already have a booster, and a smoother overdrive.

Some things I've tried,

Analogman Sd-9
    durham electronics mucho busto (this was my favorite, but might not have enough gain.)
    Timmy
    Demeter Overdriveulator
    T Rex Mudhoney
    T Rex Dr. Swamp
    Xotic bb Plus
    box of rock

Thanks for your time.

2. pete james

pete james Member

Wampler Hot Wired is my chickin` pickin` weapon of mass pluckin`:BEER

3. cber1517

cber1517 Member

Hey dude,

I went to Guitar Center last week and they had a used Eden Analog Nashville pedal. Really cool, gritty OD pedal I thought. Since I just picked up the MI Audio Blues Pro I had to let the GAS pass for now. It costs $110 used and they go for $150 new. It was a near mint condition. If you go, it is in the glass case with the used pedals at the counter. I think this pedal would be great paired with a compressor.

:AOK

4. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Red Snapper is bright, clear, fast, full range, no hump, and medium gain. Sounds like the amp, just more. I don't know the others to comment.

5. javahut

javahut Member

+1 for the Red Snapper. It sounds really natural pushing a good tube amp. Plus, with the 4 knob version, you have the Bite & Cut controls to really dial in the high end the way you like it.

6. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Same style and I currently use an Xotic RC Booster, which is great.

AC Booster is also a good option if you're looking for a little more gain. I bought one first, but prefer the RC since I don't find I need that much gain. I use a TS808 if I need an OD for solos.

7. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

8. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

A lot of nashville guys use them for sure. I'd imagine something like the Analogman Silver mod would be good too.

9. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

Red Snapper
    Gainster
    Eternity

10. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

Barber Small Fry. Lots of tones in that one. With lower gain settings it really adds a snap to the clean tones.

11. benabloom

benabloom Member

Lovepedal Cot > your favorite compressor. I dial down the COT to about 9-10oclock. Lots of snap, prescence and a bit of hair.

12. Casey S

Thanks everyone. I will check those out.

13. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Some others you might wanna check out...Fulltone FD2(used by David Grissom and Keith Urban among many others), Zendrive(used by Brad Paisley), and the Keeley Blues Driver(modded version of the Boss BD-2, used by numerous professional players)

14. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

The Timmy works very well for me with the treble rolled off to taste.

15. rongtr

rongtr Member

I use an Analog Man KOT on the boost side with a bit more treble, and a DynaRoss comp in front of it.:)

16. Graham Sloan

Graham Sloan Member

I've never thought about using overdrive when chicken-pickin. I use a bit of compression and reverb. I suppose my preference is having clean tone for that sound. Maybe increase the gain on your compressor? :)

17. Casey S

That is a valid point. I don't really use overdrive so much when "Chicken Picking", but I do hybrid pick when playing in general.

Again thanks for the input folks, I tried a cot into my compressor today and it was a pretty cool sound. Thank you for that. I had never thought to do that before.

18. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

Tech-21 comptortion is great.. I use it for this exact purpose

also the Eden Analog Nashville

19. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Try shopping "down market" a bit. Check out the Danelectro Fab Overdrive - it's kind of a Tubescreamer-like pedal, so it adds a bit of mids to the sound but it's not overly trebley. I'm a hybrid picker by nature and I run one of these on my board along with other OD pedals. I set the level a bit over half and the drive set to zero. It sounds great pushing an already slightly driven amp and it has loads of volume boost available. Won't cost you hardly anything.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  20. imyrhuckleberry

imyrhuckleberry Member

+1 on Lifeinsongs rec's, exactly what I was getting ready to suggest.