• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Overdrive for rhythm sounds

leighianson

So I am looking for an overdrive to use with my carol ann Texas 50. The amp has an incredible clean sound and lead channel so I'm looking for something to go between for rhythm tones mainly.

I own a timmy and a KoT and I feel I need something that's its kinda in between these two. I find the timmy to thin and maybe a bit fizzy, and I love the KoT but it can sound a bit congested to me, something about the mids.

Anyway I've been eyeing off the Greer lightspeed which seems great and with all the talk on here I am gassing for the oddfellow effects caveman.

At the moment I'm not really interested in what a pedal does for single lines and lead as I have those tones covered, it's all about the rhythm.

Opinions?

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
Timmy would be my first choice a change the eq to add mids. I'm using the helium now for rhythm.

slowth

I'm using my caveman for higher gain and I've also been eyeing the lightspeed to replace my Timmy as med gain.

leighianson

Timmy would be my first choice a change the eq to add mids. I'm using the helium now for rhythm.
It was my understanding that the timmy doesn't add any mids and the eq is deductive meaning it takes away bass and treble but can't actually add any.

Thanks for the suggestion ill check out the helium.

leighianson

I'm using my caveman for higher gain and I've also been eyeing the lightspeed to replace my Timmy as med gain.
Yeah most people seem to be using the caveman that way, even in the clips there's not much chording. I've had GAS for the lightspeed for about 4 months.

Moniker

Guitarchitect
Silver Supporting Member
Don't let the price tag fool you, but the Visual Sound Open Road is GREAT for this... another great option is the Rockett Blue Note.

jordane93

try a Mad Professor Royal Blue OD. Its similar to the Timmy (so I've heard and has more gain available)

HaloMaster

Silver Supporting Member
Barber Gain Changer using the LTD side! This is what its made for. For more options the Half-Gainer, 2 channels and a adjustable mid! This circuit is made for what you are asking! What Timmy's are to Marshals the LTD/half-gainer/gain changer is to a fender!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Carol-AnnAmps

So I am looking for an overdrive to use with my carol ann Texas 50. The amp has an incredible clean sound and lead channel so I'm looking for something to go between for rhythm tones mainly.

I own a timmy and a KoT and I feel I need something that's its kinda in between these two. I find the timmy to thin and maybe a bit fizzy, and I love the KoT but it can sound a bit congested to me, something about the mids.

Anyway I've been eyeing off the Greer lightspeed which seems great and with all the talk on here I am gassing for the oddfellow effects caveman.

At the moment I'm not really interested in what a pedal does for single lines and lead as I have those tones covered, it's all about the rhythm.

Opinions?
One approach is to set the OD gain level to a rhythm amount of gain and use a pedal to push the OD channel to a lead level. This is the best way of keeping the OD tones similar, just different gain levels. Call me boring but I use a bog stock TS808. I also have a GP8 in the loop so I can 'program' the volume levels of each tone and also add delays to various tones.

Another approach is to crank the pre-gain up and step on the mid boost for rock rhythm tones. This will give you a nice crunch in the clean channel.
Doing this you also need to back off the OD gain level because more push is coming from the earlier gain stages.

Bottom line you don't need to spend $$$$ to get a good OD rhythm tone.
I did a blind test with Matte Henderson and Jim Harper of 5 different boutique OD pedals along with a stock Boss OD pedal and a TS808. The two latter pedals were preferred by all of us when used with a CA OD2. The TX-50 is a similar amp to the OD2, so don't write off anything because it doesn't cost $300+. Try many.

leighianson

Thanks for the tips Alan ill be sure to try them out. Also big thanks for the help a few days ago just waiting on the tubes to arrive, and I found a good tech to re bias.

Jet Age Eric

Normally I suggest the Solidgold FX Superdrive for all OD needs, but I'm trying the Zeta Drive and it might fit the bill to a T. It's got very rocking dirt, is responsive like KOT's boost mode, big and open like Timmy, and there's a slight dip around 100 hz so it wouldn't clog you. For low-gain, I don't think it'll beat the Timmy, for med-gain to higher it might nail it for you. I'm talking rhythm. -E

straticus

Mad Professor SHOD works great for rhythm. Doesn't get mushy. Open mids. Very natural sound and feel.

Last edited:

MilwMark

Two thoughts:

1. I thought the Timmy sounded thin for OD until I read the instruction sheet. Maybe you already did and this won't apply. But Paul C. suggest setting the position of the B and T knobs to match the position of the Drive knob, as a starting point. Doing that really thickens up the tone and keeps the "transparency" which sounds inconsistent but you'll probalby know what I mean. I had to tweak the T and B knobs a bit from there (as he said I would) but not much, to be honest. Doing so really opened up the pedal for me, from a really good, transparent clean-boost/low-gainer to really using all gain levels in the pedal.

2. I see the amp company chimed in. And I've never had a two channel amp, but what the heck - how about setting the lead channel for the volume jump you like to get, then rolling back your guitar volume pot for the broken-up rhythm tone between clean and fully dirty?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom