Overdrive for Tweed Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by longgonedaddy, Jan 3, 2020.

1. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

You might try a treble booster as well. Most modern versions have treble, mid and full boost choices, if not a knob that sweeps the whole range, so it matches amps better. Look at Swart Atomic Boost or analogmans Beano boost.

longgonedaddy likes this.
  2. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

yes it is!

longgonedaddy likes this.
  3. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

After some more playing and thinking this afternoon, I think I’m going to give a treble booster and an EQ a shot.

thanks for all the suggestions!

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  4. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I’ve had good results with the Timmy with its bass cut knob. Things can get wooly pretty quickly with a 5E3 if you’re pushing it. I also like the Barber Gain Changer in the flatter EQ and lower gain settings on the mini toggles.

David B likes this.
  5. Binaural

Binaural Supporting Member

Klon, Hotcake, or Timmy work great with a tweed deluxe, as does a Skreddy Lunar Module.

6. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Analogman KoT (I tweaked the trim for high end up, just a hair)
    BJFe Honey Bee OD
    BJFe Model G
    ToneBender MKII (just set the gain low and used it as an OD)

JumpinBradFlash and RYAN1987M like this.
  7. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

My Tim is my #1 dirt pedal with any amp. It sounds great with my 5e3.

I really love Fuzz as well.

But, a lot of the time, I just run a Catalinbread Topanga reverb with the Volume pushing the 5d3's front end a bit. Level of reverb to taste, of course. I play a lot of West Coast Blues stuff and the Topanga sounds like an outboard tank, but is much more portable.

Almost forgot... I scored a LovePedal Super Sic Tone that does a great ToneBender type tone. Combined with my 5e3, it's a cool almost Beck/Page late 60's tone.

RYAN1987M and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  8. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg I Drink and I Know Things. Silver Supporting Member

I normally use one of three pedals in front of my Tweed:

Ceriatone Centura

RGW Bad Bob Boost

Analogman Beano Boost

I love the character of the amps the way that they are so I just boosts as ways to liven up the dynamics across the volume range of each amp. You really can't go wrong investing in a good treble booster.

9. Strumlord

Strumlord Member

If you’re thinking of a treble boost, one of my all time fav is DAM Red Rooster.

PS:If I only had one pedal, it would be a Klon, use it as a boost or light gain to push that amp; produces a beautiful tone. Yes it’s a mid focused amp, but with the Klon those frequencies help you cut through live with a band.

10. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

Something to think about when you are dialing in a boost or even a fuzzface is how the signal flows through the first part of the circuit in these amps. Right after the input, the signal flows through the first gain stage, which is one-half of the first preamp tube. Then it goes to the volume controls (which as you know interact like crazy between the bright and normal inputs, regardless of how you are plugged in, but that’s another topic). So, if you hit that first gain stage hard, you will get a degree of nice tube distortion that can be preserved as you turn down the amp’s volume controls. And the wonderful fuzzy distortedness of the boosted 1st gain stage will still cascade through the rest of the preamp stages, the phase inverter and the power amp, even at lower volumes. And of course, the amp will become even more reactive to the guitar’s controls.

This is often the case with the way boosts can hit the first gain stage in relatively straightforward tube amps, but it’s a big part of working the 5E3 (and Champs and Princetons and similar amps) because it’s a fairly simple circuit with not a lot of parts, and small changes to the signal affect the sound in big ways - and it can also add up to too much pretty quickly.

I try to bear the simplicity of the circuit in mind with pedals that will shape the primary tone, like boosts and fuzzes and overdrives. Overdrives tend to have more bits and pieces than yer typical 1-transistor treble booster or 2-transistor fuzz; and they often have things like ICs in them, that are interesting in some applications but ... too complicated, often too congested sounding to my ear, for my simple Deluxe. (I’m one who doesn’t care for Klones with the 5E3.) But that’s just the way I work that amp for myself, I wouldn’t suggest the idea as any kind of rule.

mrfett and longgonedaddy like this.
  11. Stagger Lee

Stagger Lee Member

I run my Tele into the bright channel of my 5e3 with Tone on 6.5, Bright Vol on 3, Normal volume at 0.

Into that I use my OCD as an always on buffer/boost with volume at max, drive off and tone about 1 o'clock (pointing directly at the drive). In LP mode.

This tightens the bass, adds just a little sparkle and improves guitar volume control cleanup enormously. I can go from incredible clean with plenty of top end to beautiful crunchy OD with a twist of the guitar's volume knob.

Maybe worth a try since you already have an OCD.

12. stormymondays

stormymondays Member

The MXR CAE boost excels at getting the Tweed Deluxe to overdrive without changing its sound a bit. It’s almost like an external volume (gain) control for the amp to me.

Vick Overdriver clone works great if you also want to add some grit and fine tune the bass/treble.

Ceriatone Centura is incredible. And you can use it as an “under driver”, best pedal I found for this with the Deluxe. You can turn down and add treble for the clean sound, and turn it off for overdrive.

I still want to try a Bad Bob...

RYAN1987M likes this.
  13. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Beano boost for me as well.

and strangely enough. Push the Beano with a Hermida Low Gain Mosferatu. Never tried the Beano as a second pedal but the LG Mos into the Beano with single coils is friggin amazing

14. clcwarlock

clcwarlock Member

Tumnus Deluxe worked great with my 57 Custom Deluxe.

15. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I have a '54 Deluxe (5D3) and an EC Tremolux, and the Rockett Blue Note can work well, but I've been really liking the Xotic Super Clean boost with both amps. It adds a little mid range in default mode and hits treble boost territory in high mid mode with little or no noise compared to traditional treble boosters.

16. donfrantz

donfrantz Yo! You stealin’ all the cool. Silver Supporting Member

Using this chain: Origin Effects Slide Rig>Mythical Overdrive>Komet Mirasol into old '59 Deluxe. Wonderful tone mostly using a strat.

17. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Either a Nux Lacerate boost or a Jetter 45/100 Gold

18. abby_normal

abby_normal Member

I don’t often use drive pedals with my 5e3 but with this thread in mind I used my Lovepedal Box of Awesome tonight. I set the OD11 side with just a slight push which also tightened up the bass and the Kalamazoo side pushing harder with a dirtier overdrive. Sounded great to my ears.

19. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Hot Cake works great with Tweed amps

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  20. stormymondays

stormymondays Member

The Bad Bob is here. I only tried it for a minute, but I can't imagine anything better for the Tweed Deluxe!

Tommy Biggs likes this.