Overdrive for Wilco's "Being There" tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jtw, Feb 18, 2008.

1. jtw

jtw Member

I'm looking for an overdrive that will sort of mimic the overdrive tones on this record. I know I've seen mention of the Prescription RX Overdriver associated with Jeff Tweedy, but just wondering if this is the best option or if there are others that could get me in that sonic ballpark. Mostly it's the overdrive tones on "Monday", "Kingpin", "I Got You", and those sorts of tones from that record that I'm thinking of.

I'm using mostly P90s and mahogany guitars through a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia or Matchless head. Would a Durham Crazy Horse be a good option for this?

Thanks everybody for any suggestions!

2. juan chaos

juan chaos Member

It's just your standard Tweed-like tones, probably from a tweed champ I've seen in their practice space pictures. There are quite a few pedals that offer those kind of tones and vary in price. Clark Gainster, Subdecay Liquid Sunshine, BJF Honey Bee, etc.

3. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

I don't really know-but I'd advise watching "i am trying to break your heart"
    and seeing what Jay Bennett uses-he's a true master and as everyone really knows, played all the good stuff on the "early" records-
    Tweedy is a very good adapter-and he knows how to choose his guitar players-
    just ask Jay Farrar
    also, I have owned both those pedals and they are both great-The Overdriver seemed to need to be always cranked and the Crazy Horse really needs to be tweaked with, but is great-I bet you could get really close with the Crazy Horse-

4. ROKY

ROKY Member

I really like the J.Everman Fuzz drive for those kinds of tones.
    Sorry for the cliche but it nails them .. it really does, though. :D

I do want to get a Rx overdriver or Throbak Overdrive boost this year,
    but I can't personally vouch for them at this point; although they are
    well-respected .

5. Lampasas

Lampasas Member

The Overdriver is my all-time favorite pedal (I have an RX), but if your amp doesn't sound good to begin with, it's not going to help much. It also requires that you run your amp, at the very least, on the verge of breakup, or else it sounds terrible--brittle/scratchy. Just my opinion, of course, though I've been using one for about ten years. But I think with a small tube amp, an Overdriver clone, a good trem, and maybe a comp you can get real close to those Being There tones. That being said, I saw them play shortly before the record came out, and there were almost no pedals on stage-- a Dyna Comp and Distortion + (or maybe a Micro Amp?) on Jay's side, a reissue Fuzz Face on Jeff's. Folks didn't have near as many gear choices back then, but it didn't seem to matter.

6. whiskeytown

whiskeytown Member

If you watch "im trying to break your heart" the rockin' tunes from being there look like they are being coaxed from a (Jay's)blonde bassman and (tweedy's) AC 30, tweedy with a jazzmaster and Bennett with an Old SG with dual p90's. It shows them playing outtasite (outta mind), and I've Got You (At the end of the century). As for the recording..who knows.

7. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I'm wondering if anyone can contrast the Throbak Overdrive Booster with the RX Overdriver.....both based on the Coloursound Overdrive.....can this do the same kind of tones and does it have more flexibility than the Overdriver?

8. SkipTracer

SkipTracer Member

There you go:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=257940

9. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

GREAT ALBUM! (First Wilco album I got)

I'd say the tweed tones are all 'round that record. ANy good light to medium gain OD would get you there...maybe a fuzz (fuzz face?) to get the really buzzy parts. reverb or a slap echo...and tremolo or avibrato pedal too.

just keep things meaty with a bite.

10. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Tim/Timmy, or Menatone Red Snapper, Dirty Blonde. I love that album. I remember when it came out in '96 or so- didn't take it out of the player for 2 weeks.

11. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Timmy into a Dirty Blonde with definitely get you there!!!:AOK

12. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I recorded at "The Studio" in Springfield MO last weekend where a few songs from Being There were recorded. Can't tell you much about getting the tones but I can tell you that that was really cool for me since its one of my favorite albums.