Overdrive - help!!

Sammicus15

Help me find a stellar overdrive pedal that is A) not TS based B) has a very wide gain range that can get into pretty heavy gain C) just one pedal, no extra boost side or anything. There are a zillion od's out there and so far I haven't found anything I can't live without. Suggestions??

Sammicus15

I should mention, I have owned/tried and eventually gotten rid of the following: Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic, Keeley +mod TS9, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive v. 1, Pigtronix Aria, Keeley mod Boss Blues Driver, MXR Distortion III, Hardwire Valve Distortion & Tube Overdrive, Way Huge Porkloin... that's all I can think of off the top of my head, I know there have been more... obviously none that left an impact on me.

Sammicus15

Sure 2-in-1 is alright. Kinda looking for something relatively compact but sound is the most important thing. Oh and I use a Swart SST-30, playing good ol' rock and roll, or whatever.

nkempers

The ZVex Box of Rock is great for cranked Marshall Tones. The boost is incredible! It is smaller than your average pedals, but not too small to be hard to use.

sodapopinski

need details as to your amp and style. Off the bat maybe a catalinbread SFT
yeah, what amp do you have? most of the time when you can't find a good sound out of pedals its because you probably have a bad amp.

I have a Vox ac15cc that absolutely sucks with pedals in its stock form because of the way the amp is, fizzy and trebly. I also have Fender DeVille 212 that makes ANY pedal sound like a million bucks.

You cant make a crappy amp sound amazing, but with the right amp you can make a crappy pedal sound amazing.

el34power

Your gonna get 100 different replies but. I say MI audio tube zone. Can dial into blues threw Mesa high gain.

Garygtr

Almost as good!
Gold Supporting Member
Creation Audio Labs Holy Fire...definitely not TS based, really great sounding IMO.

Cap'nMayhem

Menatone Shut Up And Drive. I have sound samples on my soundclick page in my sig. So-so playing but great tone.

progrockjoe

If you plan to avoid things like a TS9, then i'd suggest getting a dual overdrive pedal. For a vintage bluesy overdriven crunch sound go for something with germanium transistors. by then using the second OD you can get some really heavy (not metal) things going on, with lot's of overtones.

Given your criteria, I'd got for a The Hartman SFZ hybrid fuzz face.

let us know your decision, and your results.

Trending Topics