Overdrive opinions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dfa1979, Feb 27, 2012.

1. dfa1979

dfa1979 Member

Hey guys, new to the forum! Basically, I traded my boss bluesdriver in as part of a deal for an MXR script reissue phase 90. My MIJ super overdrive is kickass for boosts, but not as a standalone unit. I also think my DIST+ reissue is a P.O.S. What would you suggest for a new overdrive? I have 2 specific examples of the sound i'm looking for:
    1.the intro to 5/4 by gorillaz, when the electric doubles the acoustic part. a very light, musical overdrive.
    2. something with more drive, but clear note separation, to be strummed or picked.

the only thing i'm not looking for is something with a mid-hump, like a tubescreamer.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. lespaul6

lespaul6 Senior Member

Curious that the Boss SD 1 isnt doing it for you... I use that as my only overdrive but I max out the preamp on my 2203, so I'm using it to beef up and already distorted tone. Maybe a Zvex Box of Rock?

3. dfa1979

dfa1979 Member

i'll check that one out. i do like the sd1, but lately i've been into a 'darker' sounding overdrive, not really scooped, just not really emphasizing the mids. hmm maybe an EQ pedal would help?

4. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Check out the Fulltone OCD. It has a very wide range of gain, from completely clean to heavy OD, and it has a pretty flat EQ. Plus, it will stack perfectly with an SD-1! There's lots of great OD's out there to choose from, but the OCD can cover several bases, so I often recommend it.

And welcome to TGP!

5. lespaul6

lespaul6 Senior Member

I was going to mention the OCD... I'm not sure which version I had but the mids were almost non existent!! It just might do the trick

6. dfa1979

dfa1979 Member

i'm going to look at the fulltone then, too! thanks guys!

7. B-Nads

B-Nads Supporting Member

I think my all-around favorite OD I've tried yet is the Jetter Jetdrive Dual - you can usually find them for a decent price second hand. If you go new, Brad is a great guy to deal with.