Overdrive Opinions...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by delk777, Aug 14, 2005.

1. delk777

delk777 Guest

Hey y'all.

I've been in lurk mode just growing from the vast knowledge and wisdom shared in the forum here and hence have decided to tap into the brain trust for my own personal/greedy reasons.

I'm looking for an overdrive with some fur...

I'm currently playing a Gretsch White Falcon Jr. --> Keeley Java Boost --> Fulltone Fulldrive II --> Matchless DC 30.

The sound I'm looking for is a very present, snotty, raw, overdrive/distortion. Think of Davies on "All day and all of the night". It would be great if I could back off on my guitar's volume to clean things us...but not a necessity.

So far, I'm considering the Lovetone COT, the TIM (due to this gang's unanimous praise), Keeley RAT, and John Landgraff pedal.

For the time being, cash is not an issue (wow...I'm still pinching myself).

Thoughts and opinions would be gladly appreciated.

- Delk:D

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Can't go wrong with a RAT

Kluch, songtalk, Gilwater and 2 others like this.
  3. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

If you are looking for something hairy, I would go with the RAT. The others you have listed are fairly refined to very refined.

TaoInMotion likes this.
  4. HBob

HBob Member

I'm not familiar with the somg you mentioned but the Keeley Rat was chunky and large sounding but I wouldn't say snotty or raw. ( Had one for a while. ) I have a Zinky True Grit for that. Very in your face and nasty - in a good way.

5. erksin

erksin Member

I would look into a Timmy - cleans up very well with your volume knob, and can get pretty mean/loose sounding depending on where you set the tone controls. I'd also maybe try the Hellbilly...

6. el34power

el34power Member

Don`t think a RAT as being snotty...specially for Davies:confused:
    I would look for a cleanish drive type deal to push the matchless. Keeley bd-2, barber ltd, rc booster..

Gilwater likes this.
  7. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

all good choices!

also consider the BJF Emerald Green Distortion (3 letters too like t he COT and Rat and LDO and TIM :D )

while not as hairy as a Rat, it does the very present breathing distortion and is EQd for pushing Voxish amps where they need it..... and the compression sounds like its IN the amp, nothin fake here....:cool:

8. woof*

woof* Member

i believe the kinks tune was jimmy page's playing ...... you could research what equipment he was using at that time.

9. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

I'm very familiar with the rig you're using and it's a great setup! You've probably got a really warm and perfectly clear tone... but want something totally different... something that pushes that guitar and amp into a different place

My advice would be to check out a zvex super duper pedal for a more over the top crazy feedback overdrive/distortion or even the zvex octane 3 fuzz or zvex fuzz factory if you want something that'll sound really nasty and make the white falcon scream

10. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

for the sound you describe i'd give a hot cake a try.

11. delk777

delk777 Guest

Being relatively new to the group here, I just wanted to say thanks to all for your advise. As is the case with this wicked group, I've got a few purchases lined up and will be spending more money than usual from now on.

Fun, fun times to come! :dude

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

delk777, what a killer rig, man! I too enjoy the bite of a good EL84 amp (TopHats). For a more in your face almost distortion tone, let me suggest the Lovepedal Eternity. When the amp isn't even breaking up, but just at a good volume, this pedal just melds with the amp. But it's a little meaner than your normal OD. It has more possibilities than the COT 50, more gain too. As mentioned, if you want to go even meaner, a little ruder and fuzzier, the Keeley RAT is a good bet also.

13. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Rat whiteface or SUF Skinner Box

14. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

Agree.
    Quite versatile but one thing it won't do is take the chime and jangle away from the gretsch

15. Gilwater

Gilwater Member

I'm a huge fan of the RAT, but after listening to that Davies tone, I think that a Tim/Timmy would get you closer than the RAT. That just sounds like a pushed clean sound to me, or maybe a BB1 pedal type sound. I think that the RATs qualities are smoother and more middy. With that said, I would also like to suggest the Snouse Black Box. It is very tweekable and can do that gritty cleanish sound if you want.

kdm1218 likes this.
  16. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I'd try the RAT and use it in conjunction with the Fulldrive. Either side of the Fulldrive might be interesting. Set the RAT for a medium grind. Turn both the RAT and Fulldrive on. Turn down your guitar's volume knob for rhythm. Rock out!

17. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Silver Supporting Member

This thread was started 12 years ago...I hope OP found an overdrive before now ;)

Abram4235 likes this.
  18. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'm so glad that my advice has stood the test of time :p Especially considering my leave of absence from this site since ~2008 until a few months back, what a time to return!

19. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

Caline Vintage Distortion (RAT flavored, but not a clone)
    Cheap too