overdrive or distortion pedal for van halen midrange

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nitro, Aug 1, 2006.

1. nitro

nitro Senior Member

What type of overdrive or distortion pedal to achieve van halens old midrange sound listen to running with the devil thats the midrange im talking about. Would a tubescreamer achieve that type of midrange or something else, i would like some opinion thanks......

2. MichaelX

MichaelX Member

3. el34power

el34power Member

Obviously a single pedal isn't going to get you close by itself. What is you other gear...amp, guitar, speakers....
    With a good Powerfull PAf, Marshall power section, some greenbacks and H30's (something with more chime than the Greens red fangs in my case).
    I have had good luck with the Crunch box

4. RickB

RickB Member

+9 on the Crunch Box :D

5. drolling

drolling Member

Nope, I don't think a tubescreamer's what you're looking for.

I'll go along with the MI Audio Crunch Box recommendation. Takes a clean Fender amp into Eddie's *brown-sound* territory. That little red box out-Marshalls those Marshall pedals like the Guv'nor & the Bluesbreaker!

6. Tchello

Tchello Member

+1 on the Crunch Box.

7. nitro

nitro Senior Member

My amp has the drive my guitar is a heavy ash body strat,duncan 59 bridge,maple neck,4x12 cab with reissue 25 watt celestion green backs,mxr phase 90 original script logo,original mxr flanger,and a delay pedal also lexicon unit for plate reverb in the effects loop in my amp. The tubes im using are the JJ E34L i have been though many different brands of el34 and also big bottle 6ca7 and the closest to that old van halen sound in my opinion are the JJE34L.

8. el34power

el34power Member

Oh yeah...Crunch box. tune that guitar to 430 with 10-46 strings.
    What is your amp?

9. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I am a huge fan of the early EVH sound in fact to me thats one of the only sounds that I feel is really special. I haven't tried much gear to try an achieve that sound cause I feel there is way to many factors other then the crunch he got that to get the way it sounds on record. Of course the main tone/breakup is probably 75% the key. As many feel the crunchbox is the best choice for that type of sound I spoke to a guy who I recently bought a G2D classic overdrive from and he owned the crunchbox (not sure if it was the original version) and thought it was way to compressed and saturated for VH. I myself was debating to give one a try. What I find baffling about the VH sound is how much gain he actually had? To my ear it seemed to be a lot yet at the same time it was very clean sounding? He had so much crunch yet it was clear, rich and so full sounding. It seems almost impossible to get the amount of gain it seemed like he had without getting somewhat mushy on the low end. Even after listening to those recordings thousands of times it still somewhat of a mystery. The EQ is a whole other story... Good luck

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

...didnt he at some point actually use an MXR Dist II the one that plugged in and had the resonance control ?

11. nitro

nitro Senior Member

I have been though the whole amp thing original plexi marshalls modded and stock,reissue plexis,bogner, roccaforte,soldano,all the plexi clone amps you name it ive played them the amps that i settled on are the VHT 100CL head and the VHT 50CL head both el34 amps VHT amps have the drive and overdrive you hear every note very clear, very pronouced not like some amps which get very muddy or very bunched up if you know what i mean. VHT amps have what i call a clean but very powerful tone and distortion. No high gain amp in my opinion and many others opinions can achieve that except VHT.Im just looking for that little midrange swell if you know what i mean thanks again....

12. el34power

el34power Member

If you are using the amps drive. I really liked the Chilli Picoso to goose my JCM800. It has a certain frequency boost that sounds good threw EL34/Greenback mixes IMO

13. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Of the clips I have heard of the VHT I didn't hear anything that sounded any closer the early VH then some other clips floating around the web. I think one of the closest I have heard is the Mojave Scorpion clip of beautiful girls on the Mojave website. JMO. My naylor gets a close brown sound but an OD pedal helps it get a little closer.

14. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Save yourself 3000 USD on the much used soldano SLO 100 that EVH loved, or a Bogner -get a stage Hog for 600 .....

15. nitro

nitro Senior Member

So after all this talking what would you guys suggest thanks again.

16. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

The Soldano Supercharger GTO pedal is great for those tones, but it is somewhat noisy.

17. jtkung

jtkung Member

BSIAB II (Brown Sound In A Box) ... great VH tones at max gain. Roll the gain back and you get AC/DC. This is a DIY pedal that rivals many high-end boutique models.

18. nitro

nitro Senior Member

My amp is already hi gain im just looking for a midrange kick,swell what ever you want to call it if you listen to running with the devil you will know what i mean its that midrange iam looking for thanks again

19. gulliver

gulliver Member

My best pedal for '80s tone is the MXR Dime with the dime switch turned off. Huge mid boost that hits the notes where they count for fast playing. As far as the VH tone, I think a lot of that comes down to post production. To me, there's a ton of dense reverb in there. That kind of thing can't be added to the amp with the same results compared to adding it to the recording.

20. nitro

nitro Senior Member

I use a lexicon unit for plate reverb in the effects loop in my amp.So is there a pedal out there that can achieve that midrange we are talking about thanks again