Overdrive pedal with age knob

Caprica

So this is an odd request. Tape delays have age knobs that let you go from a fresh tape to a worn out tape. I wonder if there is an overdrive pedal with age knob, that will allow you to go from a modern transparent timmy overdrive to something like the honey bee that models an old supro amp?

Is there such a thing?

Coda11

This is cool idea !

However, I do not know whether it can be possible.
The "vintage" sound of an overdrive circuit is mainly about filters that will let some frequencies go through (or not).

A transparent overdrive let almost all the frequencies goes out so you wont really hear a difference with your guitar sound, whereas some other circuit will modify heavily the frequencies :
- supro amp have a tendancy to filter a bit the bass and let the treble goes through
- other add some mids to your tone that make it sounds "warmer" (EP booster, Tubescreamer)...

So you can maybe imagine a switch to change the filters to have different types of overdrive styles.
However, making it a knob seems quite difficult to me as filters are very different depending on the type of amp / pedal you want to emulate

Caprica

That might work. The empress tape delay has a three way switch for different tape ages. The od pedal could have a three way switch for amp age / filters engaged.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
It's not so much "age", but bias control could allow you to go from pristine to grungy on any pedal that has it. I suppose for age you can combine bias with EQ, but I think it's more the circuit that makes a sound stand out.

johnh

The Menatone The King has a knob which allows you to move from 60's to 70's to 80's/90's. So it moves from a more vintage tone to a more modern tone as you turn the knob. It totally changes the feel of the pedal.

voorhiessa

I think one of the Line 6 distortion/fuzz models does this. On my old DM4, it did anyway...

Multicellular

So this is an odd request. Tape delays have age knobs that let you go from a fresh tape to a worn out tape. I wonder if there is an overdrive pedal with age knob, that will allow you to go from a modern transparent timmy overdrive to something like the honey bee that models an old supro amp?

Is there such a thing?
Closest thing I can think of to this are the VFE pedals that allow you to pan between circuits. Dark Horse and White Horse for example.

Note I have some affiliation with them --but that's cause they make cool stuff so I harassed them. :)

NHBluesMan

some fuzzes let you power them with lower power draw to simulate a dying battery. I'd imagine there are pedals out there with a switch/knob built in to do this :dunno

Caprica

The Menatone The King has a knob which allows you to move from 60's to 70's to 80's/90's. So it moves from a more vintage tone to a more modern tone as you turn the knob. It totally changes the feel of the pedal.
That is pretty cool. I just had a look at it and the age switch is an internal switch and let's you go from an old JTM45 to a plexi to a modern Marshall.

johnh

It has the internal switch as well, but the left hand drive knob is an "era" knob. If you turn that knob to the left, you get a looser bass, less highs and less gain. As you turn the knob up, the bass gets tighter, the gain goes up quite a bit. The midrange obviously changes character too.

Trending Topics