Overdrive Pedals, a slippery slope

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 20forSeven, Sep 13, 2005.

1. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Well I just got on the waiting list for a Timmy, I had to try this well loved pedal especially for the price. However I am still looking into getting an Eternity pedal. On top of all of this I am now getting very interested in the zendrive and the mosferatu. I already own an OCD. I gig 2-4 times a week and I am 25 years old(so I am not rich) I try to use my gig money for gear but I can't afford to spend it all on overdrive pedals. My biggest fear is I will end up with 3 or 4 quality boutique pedals laying around my house as I only use two on my board. I have never sold any gear on ebay or over the internet. Is ithere a big demand for these pedals because I doubt many people around where I live would know enough about these pedals to want to buy them. If I chose to sell some. With all of the great pedals on the market can any of us be content with the one's we have? I hope I can.

2. Nigel

Nigel Guest

Wait 'til you start getting into fuzz boxes. :D

3. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

You may only have 3 or 4 lying around unused, huh? Rookie! ;) j/k

To answer your question, I think you can find takers for just about *any* good quality OD/Dist/fuzz you buy through this board. Just watch the buy/sell pages. You would have *no* problem selling your Zendrive, for instance, if you decided you didn't want to keep it. The same goes for any other quality pedal. Don't worry too much about it. Just find what's right for you, and then you can sell the remainder.

Jeff

4. Somnos

Somnos Member

Oh yeah....that'll really cut down the list of who'll buy them were he's living.......

Just 3 or 4 eh? It'll be bad when you have different variants of the same pedal.......

5. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

Or 3 or 4 of the same fuzz pedal!

6. cheesey

cheesey Member

nope he's too young, i imagine he prefers his camel toe with no fuzz, i am from the nasty fuzz era :(

7. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

Got any fuzzes that you could give me? :D

8. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

I've thought about getting the Keeley Fuzzhead. Is this a good pedal? I know he makes great stuff but nobody seems to talk about this pedal.

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Fear not my friend... I have 10 different OD/Dist/Fuzz Pedals. Every single one is useful. It is my belief that you can't have too many grit pedals. Get'em and keep'em! Have this one for vacation, this one for jams, this one for rehearsals, this one for classic tone, this one for heavier tones, an extra one so I don't have to dismantle my pedal board, etc, etc...

BTW, you most certainly should get an Eternity!! I'VE GOT 2! It's such a "GO TO" pedal.

10. Somnos

Somnos Member

I agree....no such thing as too many dirt boxes. Actually newest addition to the herd is one of Sean's (Lovepedal) Black Magic Distortions..........crazy, sick Zuzztortion......think Big Sugar's version of "Hey Mr. Fantasy".........

Great now I feel like going shopping.....:D

11. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Hey! I don't know about that, I'm only 21 and I have a lust for fuzz like you wouldn't believe, I pick it over absolutely everything for tone and texture. The nasty fuzz era isn't over yet!:dude

-TJK

12. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

The Effects Emporium here at the Gear Page is a wonderful way to sell things, lots of stuff you are talking about getting are always in demand (you can ALWAYS sell a Tim and an Eternity), you always get a fair price for it, and everyone I've dealt with has been a real peach to do business with, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hell, if you don't dig your Zendrive, Mos or Eternity OR Tim, I'd take anyone of them off your hands for a fair price:D

-TJK

P/S and like that other dude said, just WAIT until you get into fuzz boxes, its the most wonderful sin in the world.

13. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Camel Toe no fuzz! HA!

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

"Camel Toe no fuzz! HA!"

and

"The nasty fuzz era isn't over yet!"

Are we talking about distortion pedals or...

:D

15. theelectic

theelectic Guest

I would not worry about getting rid of a pedal, as long as you buy it used (60-70% of new retail). In that case, you can usually sell it for what you paid minus shipping, so a little experiment would only end up costing you $5-10, plus time, of course.

16. Somnos

Somnos Member

"AMORICA"..........The Black Crowes...... Ha!

17. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I'm calling dibs on the Zendrive that he doesn't have yet!!!!! M.E.

18. steeeve

steeeve Member

I too suffer from the "pedals lying around" syndrome. Lately, I've been trying to pretend that my $60 ODR-1 (green one) is NOT the best OD pedal for my Tele bridge pups. I am about to pull the trigger on a Timmy and an Eternity, but then I think about my pedal graveyard which consists of a gold Klon (sold), 5 knob TBIAC, DDSS, Tour Pro, Mini Mos, early Blue FD2 (sold), '96 FD2 (orange), Burn Unit EQ (sold), Experience. These are all great pedals for different applications. They don't live on my board, though. My board is like a resort for rich pedals to visit.

The fact that my orange FD2 was purchased in '96 and my Klon in '97 has got me worried. I never really thought about it. Almost a decade and I'm STILL buying, using, shelving. When will it end? I've never seen a pedal get the "right" kind of hype like the Tim/Timmy, so I'm hopeful about this one. The clips of the Eternity (from the site and other places around the net) have consisitently been some of the best I've heard.

19. Somnos

Somnos Member

How long is the waiting list on the Timmy? I've heard much about the pedal and there is one just about to go on Ebay......but he's not shipping to Canada.

20. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

So far it's the best fit for a fuzz type pedal for me...it actually has a bit over overdrive smoothness.
    Greg