Overdrive pedals = magic dust.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by foo_3001, Jun 25, 2010.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I get what you're saying and wouldn't argue with you, in fact I think we're saying pretty much the same thing. Guess it's just about how much you like the sound of your amp giving it up. If you dig your core tone then the pedals just add sprinkles instead of changing flavors entirely.

2. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

Tube pedals are pre amps and don't really fall into the typical "OD pedal" category if you ask me.

I have a hard time using OD pedals, Most only sound decent when pushing a warm tube amp, I love the Barber LTD series though, go figure.

On the flip side I have a certain love for SS clipping, like an old DS-1, or probably the dod 250 although I've never tried one. this isn't overdrive to me, it's sick bad-ass thick edgy distortion. Pedals that try to replicate an amp, well, they are compromizes IMO.

3. jarder

jarder Member

I would not say it is a scam. Just like any other market, there are many different choices. I like the boutique stuff because it gives an opportunity to buy local or from small businesses. That is the real appeal to me. I have seen enough demos and pro rigs to know that a ds-1 or bad monkey sound good loud, but would prefer to throw some money at a small builder.

4. chervokas

chervokas Member

Some of 'em are, others of them are kind of half preamp half overdrive, still others are starved-plated designs that are more like SS clippers.

Yeah, well, we could get into a whole nomenclature discussion about the dividing line between boosts, overdrives and distortion pedals. Seems to me that overdrives exist in between boosts and distortions typically possessing the key circuits of both--some circuit to goose gain and some kind of clipping circuit giving players the option of using more boost to hit harder an amp on the verge of breaking up, or more clipping into a cleaner amp.

5. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I would say, at least for me, half of the fun is reading about, trying to find, locating, obtaining, and playing pedals of all stripes. I think the point of music is to have fun. OD pedals are fun. The hunt is fun. I buy CDs when downloading would be easier. It's fun!

6. chervokas

chervokas Member

BTW, some of the feeling people have on this subject is probably related to the kind of music they play. I know I'm more of a country, soul, rockabilly, americana kind of player--I favor single coils, low gain, and, when I'm playing dirty usually the most I'm looking for is the dirt of a tweed amp cranked to the edge of breakup that I can push over by just picking harder or maybe with some boost. I'm not a high gain player. Though I like listening to crunchy Vox and Marshall players that's not my style. I might use a pedal to approximate that sound as a kind of special effect on a song where that tone is called for but I'm rarely looking for more distortion than a cranked Fender delivers. On a gig with the nice cleans I get from a BF Bandmaster, I use pedals to get there on songs when dirt is called for. Like I said, it's a compromise, in an ideal world I'd rather have a two amp set up with a tweed twin or something like that as a dirty amp (or a three amp set up with a Leslie, but you know, that's why God made Univibes).

I'm sure there are other players out there with different aesthetics and styles that lead them to very different conclusions about ODs than the conclusions I've reached.

7. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

my take on it is this... if you start out with awesome gear, hey, good for you, but most people don't. most people kind of work their way up to the point of being able to have a good guitar and a good amp. a lot of times people use pedals to provide sounds their amp just can't provide. If you're on a budget and a really solid amp is still off in the distance, OD pedals can at least make your mediocre amp sound....well, perhaps less mediocre. Not everybody is immediately happy with their amp's natural sound.

And then, once you've graduated to the point of having that awesome amp you've been dreaming about for years, you probably had to choose one with one typical sound inherent to that amp's nature. Maybe thats great, and you're done, but maybe you've also played enough pedals before you got to that point where you actually like some diversity.

Its true that nothing is better than a great amp. But for many reasons, pedals provide you with a toolbox for new sounds--and new sounds can lead to new ideas and new inspiration.

my $.02

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

It's no more a scam than the search for that next wonderful guitar or amp. The only deception I see is self-deception ... very easy to flail about, thinking that next pedal will be the one. When most of the time, players have or have had excellent choices already, didn't have the confidence or sense of satisfaction to know when they had it right.

It's kind of easy for me. I try out OD pedals out of curiousity, then never keep them. Clean boost is all I really need. The only OD pedals that grab me are the one that can do clean boost plus some lower gain drive on top. Anyway, it's only about curiosity at this point, and there's no harm in just exploring IMO.
    MD

9. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

:agree

10. amarr1

amarr1 Member

I am an exception: I like the sound of pedal dirt, though. Amp dirt is great, however I prefer having a clean platform for pedals.

11. luke_duke

luke_duke Member

I'd tend to agree. I played a SF Fender TR for a long time because I absolutely loved the cleans, but trying to push that amp into OD results in exploding eardrums, so I had to use pedals to dirty it up, but man did it sound sweet to me, and I guess in the end that's all that really matters, eh?

12. somedude

somedude Member

Never been a fan of pedal dirt for rhythm guitar. I know plenty of great sounds have been made and are currently being made with pedals, but there's also a number of bad examples too. For me, they always seem to break the connection between me and the amp. I like to be able to feel my amp react, and trying to do that through a pedal just feels like crap.

For lead I'm willing compromise a bit, particularly with tubescreamer style pedals. I think it's because there are times where I like my leads have an element of excitement; to feel a touch out of control. A good tubescreamer gets me there by breaking the guitar/amp connection so that I can't directly feel my amp anymore. This gives the feeling of electricity flowing through the strings since every touch is amplified by the pedal and screaming out the amp.

That said... (and to tie this back in to the OP's post), pretty much any tubescreamer style pedal will get me there, and I'd probably be just as well off if I stuck to my first TS-9 I bought years ago. I've since been through many (although not nearly as many as others on this forum) and some worked better with certain pickups than others, and some worked better at home yet not live (and vice versa), but at the end of the day a regular old TS-9 would've cut it just fine, and if I'd never ventured onto the internet and learned about the boutique world of pedals I doubt I'd be unhappy with it.

13. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

Then with a guitar and amp, one CAN play a pedal.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  14. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

I like the tone compressors give and some boosts

15. DC1

DC1 Member

Well, this thread shows, once again, that no one knows what someone else needs...

:horse

dc

16. Whalestone

Whalestone Member

Ok, but I don't see how that's relevant.
    The statement we both responded to was:
    "A good amp with a good guitar is way more valuable than a 1000 good pedals."
    not:
    "A good amp with a good guitar is way more valuable than a 1000 good pedals with a guitar and amp."
    :)

17. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks Member

This is where I'm at. A awesome guitar can cost 5 grand . A nice amp can cost 5 grand. A pedal costs somewhere between 100 and 500ish, with exceptions. I can change my sound, sometimes drastically with one pedal purchase. So much easier to do and cheaper than buying a new guitar or amp.

I bought some of those boutique OD's and been super happy with my tone. I think when you get to some of the elite pedals it's just becomes personal taste. But I must say, my Timmy or Zendrive are much nicer then my stock bluesdriver, metalzone, tubescreamer, etc....

18. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

My amps turned up loud sound like one thing; my amps boosted with an OD pedal sound like something different. For example...

A Deluxe Reverb on 4 plus a Zendrive sounds very different than a Deluxe Reverb on its own turned up to 8 or 10. For solos, I prefer the former. But I can see how someone else would prefer the latter.

Joe

19. Unabender

Unabender Member

I found using a Rat (a recent Rat 2, to be precise) is really all I need for an od/distortion pedal. Or just an EQ pedal.

The reasoning is I know what it does: How it sounds in different situations. This enables me to get the good/excellent sound pretty fast every time. I just know how the knobs interact and how guitar's volume effects the sound.

Sure, there are better ones out there, but this one I can trust. And if it breaks (a Rat? Hah!) I can get a new one easily.

20. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I was expecting another "amp dirt is better than pedals" thread...but after reading I completely agree...

I have boss od-3, sd-1, bd-2, 02-3, md-2, mt-2...and I have a few hardwire dirt pedals, a rat, bbe green screamer, marshal pedals...I also have a bunch of way huge, barber, mi audio, visual sound, fulltone dirt...and honestly the difference between them is not that big...I cant really say one is "better" than the others, just different...

I have been switching back and forth between my "mass produced" and "boutique" boards and I like them both...the only pedals that really stand out as "better" are my barber ltd, direct drive, and small fry...and these are priced pretty close to "mass produced" pedals

I dont agree that "tone is in the fingers" but I think a good player with a good guitar/amp could go to guitar center and buy whatever pedals they might have available (even if he/shes never used that particular pedal before) spend a few minutes tweaking and still sound awesome...a great player with a few boss, mxr, and or behringer pedals is gonna blow away my intermediate ass with all my barber/fulltone/tc electronics, dumbles and custom shop guitars...

One of my goals is to get to a point where I can sound great to my ears with mass produced off the shelf common variety gear that doesnt require a second mortgage