overdrive pedals

ejkennedy

Another question guys. Just getting some opinions. I've used a lot of great gear. Lots of different style amps. Guitars. Ect ect. I've settled down (right now anyways) with a strat and a small watt JTM styled amp. I'm looking at getting ONE od/boost. My amp is a 18 watt Aiken Invader. Greenback. FABULOUS in every sound. Clean or broken up. I'll use the of for just more and sometimes just a boost. I've used almost everything out there but I'm confident any well built od will sound great. I'm looking at a JHS Superbolt. Or moonshine. Or a Morning glory. Also looking at ts style ods as well. The first two I mentioned I've never used. Any opinions? Considering my setup. Or if you have a similar setup.

Rockerduck

Just buy one and see if you like it. It is very subjective. Do you like symmetrical or asymmetrical clipping? Trial and error is what it takes. Everyone has an opinion.

ejkennedy

And those opinions are exactly what I'm asking for. ;). I'm not a stickler for exact tone. I have great pieces of gear. I'm pretty good with the hands on the neck regardless of what I'm plugged into. Just wanting some ideas bounced around.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
I know, not the pedal you're asking about, but the Timmy was invented by PaulC to push his Marshalls as you describe.

ejkennedy

I know, not the pedal you're asking about, but the Timmy was invented by PaulC to push his Marshalls as you describe.
Yes!! Love the Timmy!! But it just wouldn't stay on the board. Not even the second go around. Always liked the morning glory more. But that was a totally different rig. I'm content just picking up another MG. Just curious about the other ods JHS is putting out. Also, visual sound XO? Another new one to me.

PerFusionist

Silver Supporting Member
I'm gonna throw the MI Audio Cross Over Drive in here. I'm REALLY enjoying it into my Plexi. I wish I still had my 18 watt Marshall, I'm sure it would sound amazing. You have to get it now so I can live vicariously through you :p

blues

Silver Supporting Member
Your going to get alot of opinions. But if its a simple boost the pedals I like would be a Lovepedal COT,amp 50 or the boost side of the new version of the amp 11.

You can get the best of both worlds with this pedal. If you turn it all the way down and it will act like a clean boost and not change the tone of your amp. You can also use it as your overdrive and kick it in the way too.

For what its worth I had an Aiken Invader. Sometimes I wish I still had it. But I think the pedals I mentioned will do what your are looking for as I had and have a few Lovepedals. You could probably find an AMP 50 for less than a hundred bucks on e-bay.

Your Invader has alot of options so I would keep it simple with the pedals.

Rockerduck

And those opinions are exactly what I'm asking for. ;). I'm not a stickler for exact tone. I have great pieces of gear. I'm pretty good with the hands on the neck regardless of what I'm plugged into. Just wanting some ideas bounced around.
Well, I've seen too much of the Bootek koolaid on here. So I don't trust too many opinions. I play a couple of times a month and been playing over 40 yrs. and I still have a Boss SD-1 and a TS808 on my board. Its covered alot of music styles.

Guitarnotsoguru

Ultimate Plutonium Member
Gold Supporting Member
I picked up a Keeley TS9DX and what an incredible, VERSATILE pedal. Everything from light OD to heavier, bassier, beefier tones.

thecornman

Well, I've seen too much of the Bootek koolaid on here. So I don't trust too many opinions. I play a couple of times a month and been playing over 40 yrs. and I still have a Boss SD-1 and a TS808 on my board. Its covered alot of music styles.
Agree with this guy! There are so many great Overdrives out there for well under 100 bucks I personally do not see the point in spending more. Just go to your local music store and try some stuff out for yourself. That is the only way you will really know if something is for you.

Jason_77

I'd suggest looking at the MXR Custom Modified OD. The gold one with the four knobs. What I really like is that it has a knob to cut or boost 100Hz, along with a button to switch from a neutral sounding OD to a more TS style. It's a great pedal and only $99 too.

NHBluesMan

i really love my VS-XO. For years my rhythm sound was my VS Open Road and the left side of the XO took that circuit and really improved it. Can cover the whole gain spectrum (including a REALLY sweet clean-boost tone). The left hand side is a super-versatile take on a TS pedal. Between the clean blend, clipping options, and bass options, it's really easy to dial in the sound you want. I'm using mine to push a low-wattage british voiced amp and i really dig it- i bet you'd have some nice results with it if you tried it out

Trending Topics