Overdrive recommendations for tweed amps

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by osostrings, Sep 15, 2008.

1. osostrings

osostrings Supporting Member

Howdy folks,

I'm currently in the market for a light overdrive/boost for my Victoria 35310 (a la Tweed Bandmaster). I frequently hear about how well certain overdrive pedals, like the Klon or Fulldrive pair with blackface Fender designs, but I rarely hear much about pedals that suit the tweedier end of the Fender spectrum. As for my situation, I typically crank the amp to about 7-8, so there is a healthy amount of grind already happening - I would just like a pedal to take it up another notch and provide some extra sustain for leads, while of course, keeping the tweed character in tact. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Curtis

2. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

3. shngn7

shngn7 Member

Fulltone Fat Boost 2 or maybe a Tube Screamer.

4. Sofus

Sofus Member

Klon Centaur, works excellent for me with both Single and 'buckers trough tweeds, especially the 6L6 ones :)

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

plus one on the clean boost. great amp, by the way.

timmy is so clean and versatile, i can't say enough about it. it provides eq as well . . .

however, you MAY want a smoother type of clipping. . .

OR the ability to 'cut through the mix' a bit more.

you can have both with a screamer type.

the boss od3 offers smoooooth clipping with a relatively flat eq (a bit of a bass hump)

the blues driver (i love the keeley phat) offers very flat eq with a switchable bass hump but harder clipping (GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRIND if you don't know what i mean)

so. . . . i've offered five choices or so. . . .

but if i were me all over again and starting with a tweed bandmaster and didn't want to wait for a timmy (i'd still get one, or a tim. . . actually, i'd get a tim). . . .

. . . i'd get a used boss od3 for under 60 bucks.

if you haven't used one with your amp, i think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. . . .

6. justinconn

justinconn Member

My favorite for this kind of amp is the Clark Gainster. I have two - an original, big-box version as well as the Clark/Barber Gainster. The two are slightly differently voiced, but I really love them, especially if you've got the amp working a bit. If you're not familiar with Mr. Clark's amp work, he's particularly tweed-happy, so he definitely had those circuits in mind when designing the Gainster.

I'd also give a boost like the Fulltone Fat-Boost a try. At those volumes, anything will sound great through your Victoria! :)

j

7. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I second the Clark Gainster recommendation for your application. It will give just what you're asking for.

8. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

BD-2 Keely Goes Well....

I'm also about to try an Xotic AC Boost soon as well. Will let you know how that goes.

9. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

Keeley Katana, Creation Audio Labs MK.4.23

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I use a Barber Launch Pad for clean boost with my Regal II. For different colors I also have a Barber Tone Pump (2 types of OD) and a Zendrive for heavier things. The Victoria plays well with all of them.

11. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

What about the Keeley Java Boost for a tweed 'helper'? I have a Vicky 45410 and am going to try one of these out for the same purpose...hadn't considered the Katana but still might give that a try too...

12. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

These three work very well for me:

- Burriss Boostier
    - RC Booster
    - Bad Bob

The Burriss and RC Booster are great together with tweeds (tweed pro, bandmaster types). Sometimes one or the other, sometimes both. The RC Booster is very flexible, excellent controls and adjustability. I use it mostly as a straight clean boost, but you can dial in some nice grit with the gain knob.

The Bad Bob is the simplest of all. One knob. It's really been growing on me lately. An effective volume/clean boost on the low side of the dial. Gets much boostier (and noisier) higher up the dial. I use this one a lot, set at 10 oclock or so, with the Gibson GA40.

13. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

I'd say either an 808 type pedal, or a Klon, but my absolute favorite is a Honey Bee. Turn your amp up to about 5....where you can play softly for clean sounds, dig in for some grind, or kick on the Honey Bee to attain the exact same sound of your amp on 10-11. Turns your amp into a three channel monster. Very natural.

14. FAC

FAC Member

I don't see it discussed here much, but I like the Zinky Master Blaster "clean" boost with my Victoria 20112 (tweed deluxe style)...just to push it over the edge, as you suggest. It's less $$$, too, versus some of the others, and Zinky is a great guy to deal with.

15. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I absolutely love my solid Gold Sound Labs High Octane with my Trinity Tweed Deluxe. Makes everything sound like early Black Crowes.

16. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

I like the xotic AC booster into my wifes Victoria 518 (champ), and like my OCD v.4 for my 20112 (deluxe). I think TS types are nasty bad with a tweed, but thats just MHO. I hope to get a KOT in 9 months and hope that works even better.

I also REALLY like treble boosters into my 20112 and am using a Beano boost more than my OCD.

17. sandman

sandman Member

it's good enough for Keef!