Overdrive Stacking

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by impactblue, Mar 19, 2008.

1. impactblue

impactblue Member

How should I have overdrives set, when I want to stack them and produce a fatter, more sustained and saturated tone, without it sounding Hi-Fi and overly processed??

2. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

this is the way i have mine and they work beautifully

[​IMG]

3. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I stack all three of mine (only two on at a time though at most), depending on what sound I want. The order I run them is Red Snapper->Blue Collar->Ms. Foxy Brown. I have the Ms. Foxy Brown set to where the gain is only there when I really dig in. The Blue Collar's set about mid way through the gain spectrum so that if I want a higher-gain version of the Foxy I can get one by stacking them. I have the Snapper all the way out front and set for a slight edge so that I can either stack it with the Blue Collar for a gain and clarity boost with the Blue Collar or for a slight gain boost with the Foxy. Sometimes I'll turn the Red Snapper on with my amp's 2nd channel too if I feel like it. I think the key here is set one low and one at about mid level.

4. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

You'll have to experiment with the order. I've stacked many ODs in the past and usually I start with the milder ones into the heavier ones. But this isn't always the case for best sounds. Every circuit is different so it's gonna be a trial and error process. Two pedals in the right order can be MAGIC but of you switch them, they'll sound like butt. Experiment.

As far as settings are concerned, I tend to keep their gains on the lighter side, so when you stack, it won't be overkill.

What pedals you runnin'?

5. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Just saw your gear lineup, comp>fulltone>box. That's what I'd start with.

6. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I run a clean boost (McSqueeze with the comp switch set to clean boost) in front of the gain pedals to just goose them, and sometimes, that's all I need. I also run the lowest least compressed o/d's first.

Gain Stage Blue is set to just around edge of breakup with a moderate level boost, and tone is set on the bright side. It has "snap" when you really dig in. With the clean boost, it can almost get a little fuzzy.

Silver Kiss MK1 is set to the same level boost as the Gain Stage. It has a little warmth on the mids but still feels like the guitar. Very light breakup, smoother, almost buttery. I can stack the clean boost,Gain Stage, and Silver Kiss and still clean up the tone just by rolling off the guitar's volume.

BB Preamp has the level set to keep up with the clean boost, GSB, and SK. I keep the gain no higher than 12:00 to keep the compression down. The Silver Kiss pushes the BB into more saturated, smoother leads.

Tube Zone has the highest volume level to be slightly higher than the BB Preamp, but the gain is set to a medium level (sort of a more "Boogied" version of the clean boost, GSB, and SK combination with a little less mids and a touch more clipping). It is also more dynamic than the BB Preamp. From there, I can stack it with the Silver Kiss to just give me more of the Tube Zone, or I can stack it with the BB Preamp to make the TZ warmer and more Marshall like with great sustain and the most saturation.
    [​IMG]

7. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

Hey, how are you liking that compressor after the dirt boxes thing?
    I'm still playing with comp placement - always used to stick my dynacomp near the beginning of the chain, but it's sinc ebeen replaced with an analogman comprosser, which seems a bit more subtle, and I keep moving it back and forth btwn before and after O/D.

8. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

1st OD maximum volume, going into 2nd overdrive with drive halfway and volume low enough to be bearable. The idea is to make the second overdrive go into a more natural compression and saturation. The 2nd overdrive acts like a tube amp.

9. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Personally comp after OD. I never understood the point in choosing dynamic overdrives and put a dynamic killer (that's what a compressor is) in front of them....

10. impactblue

impactblue Member

Awesome man...!

I tried it out...I feed the Fulldrive2 with either the Crunch Box or the Box of Rock, and it fattens things up without losing the Fulldrive tone...SWEET!

I find that the hi-fi ness appears when the overdriven signal going into the second overdrive is too hot!

11. giggedy

giggedy Member

I too place the comp after. It makes it easier to control the dynamic of the gain with either playing or the volume knob. One way I had fun with, was to place your pedals where you want them. Try putting them in any order (dirt pedals) and then start with the one you want for your base tone. If you have a pedal set a certain way, and you love that sound, start there. Then put the other pedals before it, after it, see which one you like. I also tried diming the gain on the other pedals, and then backing off the gain to taste, to make sure it didn't get flabby or just plain bad sounding. I ended up with what's in my sig below, the gain is set really low on all of them except the KOT red side, which is almost dimed, set on distortion.

12. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I prefer mild into heavy...I almost always have my barber ltd on and it does wonders before a direct drive, crunch box, or boss sd-1 or od3

13. madscientist

madscientist Member

I prefer TS style pedals, levels set high, gain set really low (or to zero), into a pedal with a pretty high gain level set. Takes a already chunky tone and gives it body/thickness that is really nice. If you have a fulldrive, the compcut setting excels at this.

14. cheesey

cheesey Member

right now a mjm ulysses wah> bi-comp> silver ltd> Fulldrive 2> Kot v2
    into a script phase 45 > maxon ad 999 to a bogner shiva.

not sure on the od placement but this works ok.

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I prefer no more than 2 OD's on at once and usually set them both to unity volume compared to the clean tone. I keep the gains at noon or below for both. IME running a hot output from one OD into another or setting either OD for hi gain just results in over-compressed mush.

16. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Just a matter of approach. With the comp before, you get the same tonal characteristics, but a completely different nature.

I found I preferred having one compressed od pedal near the end of the gain section rather than a post compressor. Instead, I use a volume pedal.