• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Overdrive that can be used to boost a dirty amp, but also as a stand-alone medium OD into a clean amp?

cosmic_ape

Silver Supporting Member
The answer is always “Timmy”!

In all seriousness, while there are plenty of pedals that are capable of this, what you need IMO is a pedal that can toggle between two different sounds.

When you boost an already overdriven amp, chances are you’ll use a setting on your pedal with more clean output than gain. Conversely, when going into a clean amp, you’ll likely need a setting with more gain than output (you’ll probably need to achieve what we call “unity” gain, same output level from clean to crunch).

When using a single pedal for both these purposes, you’ll find yourself leaning towards one setting over the other. You’ll also find than more often than not, a single setting will always sound like a compromise.

There’s only one pedal in my collection that handles this greatly: the Mad Professor Simble. But you have to like the D-style sound to begin with (not everyone’s cup of tea).

What I suggest you do instead is to get a dual pedal that you can toggle back and forth.

If you like the Tubescreamer sound, I suggest an Earthquaker Palisades. It has two settings plus a boost. Use the lower gain setting for boosting your dirty amp, and higher gain one for going into the amp’s clean channel.

If you prefer a sound with more bass and/or more EQ-ing possibilities, I recommend the Suhr Eclipse. It has more output and more gain than you would ever need. But it also has a three band EQ plus a presence trim pot on each side. It’s a great tool and it sounds killer, too

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
a Blackstone Appliances MOSFET Overdrive was built for what you want to do.
No fair recommending a dual pedal!

You know, thinking about it there are two ways to make this work. A pedal with a huge gain range, like the Timmy v.3 is perfect-set up nearly clean it's a perfect boost, switch to high gain mode and crank it up and it's a great distortion from a clean amp pedal. Some of its derivatives might even give you a tiny bit more flexibility, like the Amp 11. Of course the original Tim with its two channel design was even better.

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a Rockett The Dude v2. Going to try that for a bit, but I’m liking the Timmy v3 recommendation. I might go for that as well.

Tumnus Deluxe! You get the Klon low gain thing, turn up the gain (past 3:00), flip the "more gain" switch, dial back the mids a bit (the more gain you add, the more they are emphasized), and you just might be "there."

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, I might have been too vague. What I’m looking for is something that does that Klon-like thing in its lower gain ranges—this is where it would be pushing a dirty channel—but also be able to approximate a decent hot rodded Marshall style thing in its higher gain ranges.

I don’t believe just any ol‘ overdrive with a gain knob will do this.

Overdrives I’ve considered that might do this are: Rockett The Dude, possibly the Sparkle Drive Mod, or the Walrus Audio Ages.
The Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver is worth a look. I can dial mine in to sound very much like my Tumnus, and it gets well into Marshall territory as you up the gain and run it into a clean platform. It’s very responsive to the guitar’s volume pot and sounds great in a live mix (I’ve had sound guys comment on it). Marc’s Screw Driver and Lunar Module have a huge range of tones as well.

If you don’t mind a dual pedal, the Jetter Gold Standard has a great low gain sound (although I wouldn’t call it Klon like), and a higher gain sound that’s spot on Eric Johnson Marshall, Cliffs of Dover sounding.

The Tumnus Deluxe is of course very Klon sounding with a lot more range, and it works quite well into a clean amp. Not really something I’d call Marshall sounding, but a really good sounding gain pedal.

I had a V3 Timmy - great pedal, but I don’t hear anything remotely Klon or Marshall in there.

Last edited:

LikeAMotherF

Gold Supporting Member
I use the POT for pretty much what you're asking for. I wouldn't consider the Boost "Klon-ish" or the Distortion "Hot-rodded Marshall"; but I'll be damned if it's not an excellent boost for cooking amps and an excellent drive pedal for a clean amp!
The POT also has the advantage of having the 'Turbo Mode', which does make the gainier sounds a little heavier. It does kind of max out near the top of the 'mid gain' spectrum, but it's been plenty for my real world uses. And I play in a punk band!

If you're not opposed to a dual pedal, you might also want to investigate the Ceriatone Horsebreaker.

Mr Fingers

What the OP described is what my Keeley-modded Boss SD-1 does, beautifully. I don't know if those are still available, but it is a sensational pedal/mod and I absolutely love it for drive tones into my clean amp. It also stacks well with my SunFace for wilder stuff. The Timmy is a great pick, too. I've had a Klon and have a KTR, and though some use those for drive tones, I actually like the modded Boss more (!) and my KTR is my always-on boost, as it shapes the response in a way I love, and then I hit the Boss when I want that bump.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Nobels ODR-1
Excellent suggestion that I couldn’t agree more with.

I was surprised how much I love the gain between 0-3 (or 6 - 8o’clock) with volume cranked. Very versatile and exactly what the OP describes.

outdoorpja

Silver Supporting Member
i like the Lovepedal COT circuits for this. they sound good into my clean Bandmaster, and they sound wonderful boosting my Cyclone and Lil Dawg Pug and Tweed Super. there's lots of COT flavors / configs, so you can try a few to see what works with your particular amp. i recently ended up with a FAB50 Tiki, and it's fantastic. i also just love the boost side of the AMP11.

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe look at the JHS Sweet Tea?
Given what you’re trying to accomplish, I would say a 2-in-1 pedal is probably your best bet. The Ceriatone Horsebreaker and Keeley D&M Drive would be my suggestions.
I gave the Rockett The Dude a shot, but it just didn’t do it for me. I think you guys who have suggested a 2-in-1 overdrive are probably right on the money.

The Sweet Tea at first seemed overkill, but that way of thinking hasn’t gotten me anywhere near my goal so far, so that just hit the top of my list.

The Horsebreaker seems very cool. I’d never heard of it before. I will do more research.
Thanks!

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
What did yo
I gave the Rockett The Dude a shot, but it just didn’t do it for me. I think you guys who have suggested a 2-in-1 overdrive are probably right on the money.

The Sweet Tea at first seemed overkill, but that way of thinking hasn’t gotten me anywhere near my goal so far, so that just hit the top of my list.

The Horsebreaker seems very cool. I’d never heard of it before. I will do more research.
Thanks!
What did you land on

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
What did yo

What did you land on
Never really found a single pedal that was able to do this. I think the v3 Timmy was the closest I came to something that fit the bill because of its high gain mode, but with used prices so high, I just kept looking.

I eventually ended up with a Xotic RC Booster and AC Booster. It's a winning combination and I believe there's the Xotic Oz Noy sig pedal with these 2 together, but I found each pedal at ridiculously good prices and gave up on the 2-in-1 for now.

Ugh

Silver Supporting Member
What about the D&M drive? Boost and OD in one box.
This.

I've been surprisingly pleased with my D&M. "OCDish" drive (that I use as an always on, low/med gainer to great effect) with a Klon-type boost. Switchable order so you can goose the drive side or use the boost as an after-OD volume bump with pushed mids to cut through.

Trending Topics