Overdrive to pair with Ethos Clean?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by charley, Apr 15, 2016.

1. charley

charley Supporting Member

Hi all,

I use an Ethos Clean as my "amp" quite often....enough to warrant having a dedicated pedalboard for those times when I know I need to go direct. I quite like it.

I am curious if other people might share their favorite OD pedals to use in front of their Ethos Clean when going direct to FOH?

So far, I have had excellent luck with HBOD, Tim, Klon KTR, and EQD Gray Channel. FD3 sounds just ok, a bit muddy. I have even had success with a BC108 SunFace AFTER a buffer.

Anybody else?

2. duaneflowers

duaneflowers Member

Behind a Killer Les Paul Somewhere in Japan
    I don't have an Ethos Clean, but I have the full Amp version and really like my Van Weelden Royal OD in front of it or my Tanabe DUM+ZEN Twin Custom OD... I also have a Tonehunter BlueLine OD on the way which I'm hoping will add another dimension to the mix. Klons also do sound quite nice...

Remco Lotens likes this.
  3. ipm

ipm Member

Please, report on BlueLine of when you get it. I had Ethos amp and still have VW Royal OD. I can confirm your points regarding them.
    Sorry for partially hijacking the thread.

4. duaneflowers

duaneflowers Member

Behind a Killer Les Paul Somewhere in Japan
    Will do!!! The clips I've heard sound awesome... hoping they will sound the same with my rig.

While I don't necessarily dislike the OD channel of my Ethos (or my Ceriatone OTS) its no secret that all Dumbles are not created equal, and there is quite a bit of variation from one model to the next. I think that as far as the clean channels go they are relatively similar, producing that unmistakable sweet compression of the Dumble tone. I think where they tend to differ is in their dirty channels... with varying degrees of gain, distortion and crunch. This is why so many D Style pedals sound so different. Its not that any of them are bad, its just that they mimic different models. That may be the logic behind Rob's production of the Ethos Clean, i.e., folks were interested in using their own favorite OD pedals rather than the built in OD. Van Weelden and Tanabe really nail it for me, but there are different strokes for different folks, so there is no one right answer as to which is best as choice of Dumble OD is pretty subjective.

5. Del-Uks

Del-Uks Member

I am very satisfied with the Blackstone Appliances Mosfet Overdrive driving my Ethos Clean-Fusion.

6. bh.

bh. Member

I have the both the ethos overdrive amp and the ethos clean, and I'm much happier with how the ethos clean takes drive pedals especially with with its soft drive engaged. Here's a video I took a few months ago running my entire board into the ethos clean and clean power amp.

Overdrive pedals:
    cot50
    Eternity
    Timmy
    Hotcake (modified)
    Hartman VG fuzz

7. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I have a Ethos Clean... very impressive pedal. I have an old TS-9 that I run before it... sounds really good.

8. JimHalinda

JimHalinda Member

I have a Dr. Scientist The Elements that I use with the clean channel of my Ethos TLE Preamp (which I run direct). I use the Ethos OD channel for smoother overdrive tones, and the Elements for a mid-gain Marshally tone, it works very nicely!