1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Overdrive to replace my Fulldrive 2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gamle John, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

I have an Emma Reezafratzitz and I think it is the best pedal I've ever heard. No matter how I turn the knobs it just sounds right.

The problem is every time I switch to my Fulldrive 2 it feels too soft and muddy. So now I am looking for a low gain OD to replace the Fulldrive 2. Something a little brighter with a little more bite. Something that goes well with the Reeza.

I was thinking maybe an AC Booster or an OCD? What do you guys think?

2. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    AC Booster +1

TheGrooveking

3. devbro

devbro Member

4. poipounder57

poipounder57 Member

One more for the AC Booster:dude

5. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i think you should read the descriptions of all the BJF pedals and pick the one you like the best. he makes a bunch of killer overdrive pedals. the catalinbread super chile picoso is a very killer booster too. also, maybe something banzai. tons and tons of great overdrive options out there. good luck sorting through all of the varying responses you'll get :D

6. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I'd suggest the PedalworX Texas Twostep. The Tour Pro Toggle can get the same uncompressed feel as the FD-2 in comp cut mode (but also with 2 levels of compression to the FD-2's single compression mode) but can be set to be a bit brighter and a bit more focused with more gain on tap, and the TTS is a 2 gain stage pedal.

Brett

7. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

My answer to every OD question....

Eternity, Man!!

9. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Every time I replace my FD-2 I buy another................. I got one on the way!

10. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

Thanx guys. Good suggestions.

How about the OCD? Is it a Fulldrive only brighter or does it have a totaly different sound?

Anybody tried it next to the Reeza?

11. Erik

Erik Member

What...nobody likes the Bad Monkey anymore?? A few months ago there were nothing but praises for that $40 pedal....

12. Phil M

Phil M Member

I know, me too. Eventually, I'd like to stop selling them. I want that orange MOSFET one bad though, so the current one may need to go ... :D

I do have another cool overdrive called a DGTM that is similar to the Fulldrive, but does not sound squished at all with it's toggle set to the right. Crazy good pedal that few seem to know about. HINT: I saw one in the Emporium for $99 yesterday--a steal. The only reason I would sell mine would be to get their new dual pedal.

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

It's the only one I really like (apart from stuff like Prunes & Custard) and it costs me less than a tank of gas...................
    If it does break, buy another.

Best, Pete.

14. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The bad monkey sounds better IMO than ALL Ibanez TS pedals and the boss SD-1. Its got a smooth character like the FD and has bass and treble controls. Its a winner for an cheap, more versatile TS type pedal. Another one in the same vein would be the reverend drivetrain I/II.

15. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

My two cents:
    I have the TS9, TS9Dlx, Super Tube Screamer, Maxon OD808, TS10 and Soundtank TS5, and IMHO I agree that the BadMo is better than previous, more natural sound. Even you can use it as OD or booster.
    Not bad at all for $24.50 second hand pedal:p

16. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

"How about the OCD? Is it a Fulldrive only brighter or does it have a totaly different sound?"

No, the OCD doesn't sound like the FD. By my memory, the OCD is a straight distortion. The one I played through, scooped the mids quite a bit, in other words... not like the Fulldrive.

17. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

A BIG plus 1 on the Texas Two Step. While I really like the Fulldrive, the TTS has me whipped! A buddy let me borrow hs for a few weeks and all my other o/d's pale in comparison. Just a fabulous, toneful pedal.

A few other low gainers I like are the LTD and the original black box Marshall Bluesbreaker.

18. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

hows a 'bout a timmy? i think that would fit the bill pefectly....

19. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

Yeah! It seems that everbody loves it. Anybody got clips?

Is telephone really the only way to order? Does Paul Cochrane even ship to Europe?

20. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

Yes, he does ship to Europe. Even to Scandinavia. :) Can't speak for Paul, but at least a year ago he did. I managed to place an order by email but I've heard that nowadays he doesn't have much time to check his email. But you can try. But calling him is the safest way to do it.

There are a few clips posted around here. Do a search for Timmy or TIM clip(s). I posted one a while ago. The Gainster has done some great clips!